PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Airforce

ON-THE-CHEW
25-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Had and RDO yesterday the weather forecast wasn't the best but it has been at least 2 months since I have been fishing so didn't really care. In that time I have bought a new popping rod, put a cage around the front of the boat and put on a detachable Targa top all of which I wanted to test out. My wife is due in 4 1/2 weeks so after this weekend I am banned from offshore trips until the birth. So was itching to go no matter what.

I talked Mark (plasticfantastic) into a trip (sicky), got to the boat ramp late about 630 (forgot to fill the boat up on previous trip). Headed straight out to the bar, we always go out through the Amity channel, since all of the shit weather this has become alot shallower and was pretty messy on the way out as it by now was full swing into a run out.

Got out to one of my popping spots, had to test out the new rod. Not a lot on the sounder and not much happening, Mark was on plastics and just getting nibbles
Saw a guy near us trolling hook up a couple of times so decided to give that a go, had two hits one hook up, but as we didn't have our trolling gear I was using my popping rod and Mark was using his plastic rod not much success.

Decided to start drifting again and this is when the morning will be hard to forget. Saw a spaniard free jump about two metres out of the air, thought wish we had our trolling gear. Still casting my poppper, all of a sudden a spaniard smashes the popper and clears the water by about a metre. Holy crap this gut us pumped, never expected that, so mark chucks on a cotton cordel stick bait and casts in behind my popper on every cast.

I got up to 4 strikes from spaniards on my popper before Mark had his first hit but his will be remembered for a long time. I think it was a spotty close to 8-10kg hit the stick bait about 2 metres in front of the boat then managed to jump over the height of Marks head parallel to the boat and then off never to be seen again. It was amazing to see a fish this size to leave the water so hight and far.

Next up it was my turn again but this time it was a solid hook up, after a few minutes of fun (GT ROD) had my first ever spaniard in the boat measuring 130cms plus and 12.5kg. Was stoked broke the rod in with a PB and caught a fish in a spectacular fashion (popper). It is amazing the strikes they put on the surfaces compared to hooking them up on bait or slugs.

We ended up having 9 strikes, with only the one landed. The wind was finally starting to turn a bit average so was heading in by lunch time. Not a long trip but certainly one to remember.

Have put a couple of pictures up of the boat before and after, but the cage was awesome, Mark and I stood on the front casting platform the whole trip, which even on a good day before I got it fitted we couldn't do.

Andrew

WestOzDesertFisher
25-03-2010, 11:47 AM
There's nothing like seeing a spaniard take to the air. That second pic is a ripper mate. Sweet rig too!

Pistol_P
25-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Andrew....

Very nicely done.....Good size spannie too.

They love a popper...trouble is getting the hooks in.

I have have had numerous air born hits on poppers (both landbased and boat) but I have missed all hook ups.:(

The rig looks very nice....especially for popping.8-)

Pete

TimD
25-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice Spaniard there Andrew :thumbsup:

Is your new deckie a boy or girl, my daughter Chelsea is 10 weeks old now and i adore her so much, i love it when she smiles at me, she's so cheeky.

The galeforce looks good with the new rails and T top.

You didn't happen to write down a couple of your jigging marks for me while you had the boat out did ya ??

cheers tim :smiley:

PlasticFantastic
25-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Awesome day out alright whether I landed a fish or not. Most people count sheep jumping over a fence or something when they try to sleep, i'll just count Spaniards jumping past my head instead from now on. Problem will be getting a day like that again.

PlasticFantastic

Fish_gutz
25-03-2010, 07:58 PM
sounds like an awesome session well done and the new set up on the boat looks the goods. thats a cracker spaniard!
Andrew

Spectre
26-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Andrew

Well done ...great report & pics.
That would have been a Buzzzz nailing a Spano on a popper !!!!
Rigs looks very sweet .....lotsa room for flicking poppers !!!!
Who did u new detacable T top.....??...as a mate is looking to get a similiar one done.

Cheers
Phil

bluefin59
27-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Well done guys ,you never seem to fail to impress great work . I went out on gavs new boat today and we did ok as well ...matt

pickenshovel
27-03-2010, 08:03 AM
that was a gr8 story , ive never caught anything on a popper so was very interesting , congrates on the baby ,kids are the only thing better than fishing (except for the sleepless nights and pooooy nappies )
steve

murf
27-03-2010, 09:04 AM
how good was that :) days like don't come along too often

top pics too, what size lens did you take that second pic with? it really shows off the fish

love the fence around the front yard too mate, it would make it very usable

cheers Murf

deepfried
28-03-2010, 07:40 PM
nice report and great to get one on popper and see it. top fish also to make it even better. i only just experienced the same a few day ago down here at ballina but it was a smaller fish and i wasnt on the rod but still one of my most memorable fishing experiences. congrats