PDA

View Full Version : Chivers boats

jclay1773
22-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows anything about these boats around the 5.5m to 6m mark. Seen a few advertised lately but I know very little about them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

Assasin
22-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi
Contact Chivers Marine in Perth. They are built by them or for them.

Assasin

nigelr
23-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey jclay, been checking the WA used boat market myself lately for boats that size, seems you can buy good used platies for quite a bit cheaper over there than here on the east side. Could almost be worth going over there.
Good luck mate.

Jarrah Jack
23-03-2010, 08:28 AM
On that note, Ive had a few things trucked over from WA for business. Trucking costs are much cheaper coming this way. It appears that a lot of things go over but not anywhere near as much back, apart from the trucks.

jclay1773
23-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone been in one or owned one. Thanks.

gtphantom
24-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Gday mate --saw your thread ,I live in Perth and have seen quite a few of these around.
Chivers used to build F/G boats years ago, I remember when i was a kid my uncle had a 21' Thunderbird with a 120 Johnson on it , really good hull for ther time , they must have stopped making the F/G boats probably 20 years ago - and never heard much from them---- then some time back the plateys appeared
I know a guy who has just bought one about the six meter mark he's away at the minute @ coral bay -- I'll be seeing him up ther next week by all accounts he's pretty happy with his but another fella I also know had one a couple years back moved from a 6 m Westerberg ,another WA plate boat built in Albany, to a Chivers of around the same size can't remember what power he had on the back but he parted with it within six-eight months when they couldn't fix a few issues he was having he traded up to a Bayshore plate around the 7-8m mark tells me he couldn't be happier
I guess its like any thing if you know what you want and how you are going to use it ! maybe try the western angler or the hotbite forums and start a thread never know what will turn up??
cheers Kim

jclay1773
24-03-2010, 09:39 PM
thanks kim.

Tazmaniac
27-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi jclay,
Chivers boats have a pretty good reputation over here in the West. Their GRP range was around for years, with the odd one still being pumped out, but they now concentrate on alloy. The Meridian range was a good honest boat, well contructed, and from what I understand they behave well on the water. The Meridian range has now been superseded by the Shark range, of which the larger boats have a 17degree deadrise and flooding keel to give stability at rest. I believe they give an extremely good ride in rough water. I guess when you don't hear bad reports about a particular brand it must be a good thing, and I've not heard bad reports about Chivers boats.
Hope that little bit helps.
Cheers, Taz

jclay1773
28-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks Taz.

gtphantom
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
gday J
more to what we were talking about earlier we're at coral bay ay the moment and I ran into those guys with the new Chivers ther're happier than a pig in s**t
with thiers it"s the latest with the flooding keel and a 200 Yammy on the back
the other old mate had the earlier plate alloy one new 12-18 months ago and couldn't get rid of it quick enough--- reckons it was a dog
cheers Kim

White Pointer
13-04-2010, 11:13 PM
G'day,

What does it cost to return one for a warranty job? Do they have a servicing agent on the East Coast?

Regards,

White Pointer