PDA

View Full Version : Sundowner boats

NTMID8
22-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum and in the market to purchase my first fishing boat. I have done countless hours research and have found what i think is a gem, its a 1985 5.2m Sundowner half cab with a evinrude 90hp 2 stroke on the back for $10,000 in v/good condition.

Has anyone had any experience with these boats or engines and is there anythings you can suggest to look out for?

I have spoken with the builder (Neil) who has told me that he has been using the same hull mould for the last 30yrs.

Cheers

Ben

bennyboy
23-03-2010, 09:24 AM
A 25 Year old fiberglass hull?
I imagine there would be wood framing in a hull of that age.
You would want it thorougly checked out!
I hope the motor is only a few years old with a newish trailer under it.
I would be thinking a hull of that age is worth a couple of grand at most in excellent condition. Work out how much the motor and trailer is worth to find out if it's a good price

Steeler
23-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Do you have any pics or a link to ad,depending on age of motor ( and if it has been freshened up in last few hundred hours ) and cond of trailer it does seem to be at the very top end.

NTMID8
23-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Its a private seller (son-in-law of boat builder Neil) boat was built here in SA by Neil.

This is a link to the same boat (only 4years older and the one im looking at is blue)
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP003290401?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

Also same boat just 4 years old
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP003257459?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

I rang the insurance company up and they told me that these boats regularly sell for between 16k and 18k, maybe i am missing something?

The motor is not an evinrude (i misunderstood what he was saying) its an early 90's model rebuilt 90hp merc with about 150hrs on it.

I am going up to have a better look tomorrow and possibly buy it, but it appears that i might be making a mistake?

Cheers

Ben

Steeler
23-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Ben

Early 90's 90HP mercs the three cylinder oil injection models with the oil bottle on the starboard side of the motor were a bloody good motor.The injection system on those were also quite sound and if it still has it connected don't be in a rush to remove.Marking a line in pencil on the bottle and monitoring usage and an output test at the fuel pump where the oil and fuel come together every 6 months or so and you should do fine.As for hull well it all comes down to the usual checks ie solid transom and floor.

If your inspecting yourself don't just rely on checking transom from outside jump in remove anything in your way so that you can also check the inside of the transom.Don't just rely on compression test for the merc either, check for a nice big fat blue spark.

Good luck with it all

Steeler

NTMID8
23-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, im alittle concerned now that i might be paying too much, the builder had seen the boat about 12months ago and told me that other than a couple of scratches in the gelco from poor trailer retrivals it was in excellent condition. I have a mate comming with me who has been into boating for years and has experience with glass boats so hopefully all goes well. From looking around at other boats it appears that unless i spend 20k - 25k im not going to get a newish motor, and was told a new motor aint worth salt if its pushing a bathtub....

Cheers

Ben