PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 958cXi

adam69
22-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, just after your thoughts on the above mentioned sounder/gps. Im looking to upgrade middle of this year. Currently have a Navman GPs and Eagle Sounder. The options i have are....

1. Humminbird GPS/Sounder Combo

2. Furuno FCV620 Sounder - and keep my GPS

3. HDS 5 Sounder and HDS 5 Gps Keeping both the same

4. HDS 7 or 8.

I like the look of the Humminbird and the aspect ratio appeals to me. Not sure if that is relevant but seems to be a better option rather that the standard 4:3 or the setups like Furuno etc.

Thanks
Adam

snodger 08
22-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Adam,
Dont know about the 958 but I have the 798cx si and since I have worked out how to set it up it seems great. Do yourself a favour if you buy it, get a spray guard with it as the transducer almost always sends a rooster tail stright up in the air. Mine was actualy forcing water through the join in the engine cover.
Cheers
Steve

sporty1
22-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Adam

depends on where and what you are fishing for, but for my 2 bobs worth if it anywhere offshore or in the bay go the furuno and keep your current sounder. GPS is similar in most models except for some minor items and screen size, but the difference in sounders is significant.

8astripey
26-03-2010, 03:46 PM
mate do yourself a favour and buy the new 1197c si from usa for $2400Aus from whoever you think is the best supplier. i purchased a 997c si last year and it has performed perfectly with everything i wanted. i can even see bommies 30m down with the side scan and down scan out on the reefs, that combined the duel freq gives an excellent picture of what is down there. true it has taken me a few trips to get used to it and it seems to get better everytime i go out as i gain more knowledge on using it. if i only waited a few months i would have got the 1197csi but i had committed and got a 997c si with 2years warranty for $1900 aus delivered to the door in a week. better than $3400 as local supplier quoted and a 3 week delivery. once again they keep shooting themselves in the foot.
once again it is blowing 25knts for the weekend , looks like a trip up the narrows and a bit of playing with the sounder still better than sitting at home watching tv