PDA

View Full Version : Sensabrake.... Please Don't Shoot Me

J2DAG83
22-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Ok so i have seen blokes get shot down on here for avertising outside of the for sale section...... this is definetly not what i'm trying to do here just looking for some advice.

I have purchased a boat that has a new trailer with the sensabrake system under it, unfortunately when i asked about the price for a kit from the seller i was told a figure i was happy with and didn't look into it any further i now own it and found out to have the in car kit fitted to 2 cars is going to cost $2000.... haha gotta love unexpected costs.

Anyway because the boat will be towed by any number of vehicles it's looking like my better option is to go the Hydrastart XL as it can go on any car and uses a controller that plugs into your cigerette lighter.

To try and recover some costs i wish to try and sell the sensabrake system currently on the trailer as it's brand new.

The question is is there a good place to try and sell these types of things?????.... is it just the usual places ie. ebay, tradingpost, here obviously or is there places that specifically have this type of stuff??????

Again in no way is this intended to be an ad.

Cheers Fellas

Steeler
22-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Fleabay unfortunatley

chooky
22-03-2010, 11:32 AM
How much for the unit??

MyWay
22-03-2010, 12:16 PM
you could
run on car 1 and car 2 wires from trailer to control box and from brake pedal and power and earth to control box
than make plug so you can unplug control box from one car than pug in 2ND car
(pad for brake pedal it is easy to switch too only if you got autos cars if is one manual one auto it may cost bit more pad is around $160 i think)

one control box for two cars

myway

Jarrah Jack
22-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Fleabay unfortunatley

I think ebay is becoming a bargain hunters barron ground and a sellers adventure ground..Ebay with a reserve price and let them fight it out..:)

TimiBoy
22-03-2010, 02:53 PM
What does the loaded boat/trailer weigh?

Just interested!

Cheers,

Tim

Stuart
22-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Empty your PM box, I have been trying to send you a PM. Im keen to talk turky.

Stu

hakuna
22-03-2010, 03:46 PM
if you live in qld legally you could have got an electric brake unit fixed to the drawbar for $120 and used any car to tow.
Downfall is that you cannot adjust the unit inside the car, but when set you do not touch it anyway.
I have it on my van so the kids can take it, works well van 2 tonne.

cheers

scott171287annon
22-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi mate, i actually have all the in car stuff you need apart from the petal pad. If you decide to use the sensa brake systm on your car pm me and you can have all my stuff for free.

business class
22-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Ok so i have seen blokes get shot down on here for avertising outside of the for sale section...... this is definetly not what i'm trying to do here just looking for some advice.

I have purchased a boat that has a new trailer with the sensabrake system under it, unfortunately when i asked about the price for a kit from the seller i was told a figure i was happy with and didn't look into it any further i now own it and found out to have the in car kit fitted to 2 cars is going to cost $2000.... haha gotta love unexpected costs.

Anyway because the boat will be towed by any number of vehicles it's looking like my better option is to go the Hydrastart XL as it can go on any car and uses a controller that plugs into your cigerette lighter.

To try and recover some costs i wish to try and sell the sensabrake system currently on the trailer as it's brand new.

The question is is there a good place to try and sell these types of things?????.... is it just the usual places ie. ebay, tradingpost, here obviously or is there places that specifically have this type of stuff??????

Again in no way is this intended to be an ad.

Cheers Fellas

Hey Mate,

Got your email trying to reply back to u. Wanna see where u live, so PLease empty ur inbox so i can PM you again. Im on Gold Coast;D I will keen as Mustard but wont be on here till tomorrow So ill give u my number then so we can talk.

Cheers
Matty

J2DAG83
22-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry guys, have cleaned out my mail box now.

From what i've been told the lot weighed 2150.... not sure if that was with a full tank of fuel or not.

Thanks for the offer scott... but i've decided it's not practical for me to limit the towing of the boat to 1 car...

Ally Jack
22-03-2010, 10:07 PM
$2000 for 2 units fitted....damm labour must be dear

I got mine for about $650 and fitted it myself, it's nowhere near rocket science to fit and have since tranferred it to another vehicle.

When we brought the big boat, I had all intentions of fitting another controller to the Territory so either car could tow the boat, but the need for another towbar, power cables for the winch and cost of the controller for the few times it might be used to tow it just didn't weigh up.

Just my thoughts
Ally Jack

TimiBoy
23-03-2010, 05:17 AM
2,150 kg - can most road cars tow that? I bet a front wheel drive would be up the shi##er trying to pull it off the ramp...

I can see fair size dollars in the installation, with all that piping. Make sure they use quality piping and fittings. As Ally Jack said below 2K might be a bit over the top though...

Cheers,

Tim

J2DAG83
23-03-2010, 07:42 AM
I have gone halves with my old man in the boat so to begin with there's the need for 2 cars to have the equipment fitted then both myself and my old man have atleast 2 good freinds that own 4wd's capable of towing the boat aswell..... seems pointles to limit the towing of the boat to 1 car (i live in brissy and my old man lives in maryborough) would hate to have good weather and can't get the boat to the ramp...haha

As for the $$$$$ i rang 4 places..... the best price i got was 650 for the unit and 450 to install..... between the other 3 places prices varied from 700 - 1000 just for the kit and no installation.

Thanks for the replies guys.

business class
23-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I have gone halves with my old man in the boat so to begin with there's the need for 2 cars to have the equipment fitted then both myself and my old man have atleast 2 good freinds that own 4wd's capable of towing the boat aswell..... seems pointles to limit the towing of the boat to 1 car (i live in brissy and my old man lives in maryborough) would hate to have good weather and can't get the boat to the ramp...haha

As for the $$$$$ i rang 4 places..... the best price i got was 650 for the unit and 450 to install..... between the other 3 places prices varied from 700 - 1000 just for the kit and no installation.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So what u chasing for it then?

Chimo
23-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Dag

IMHO your on the right track quitting the sensa and going hydrastar

Many cheap in car units operate the hydra and the hydra is older technology, simpler and has the bugs pretty well sorted now. I doubt I would ever buy a trailer with a sensa on it as many of them seem to have problems.

Mind you, if you drown the brakes when you launch and rerieve you will have rotar and pad issues before too long and depending on how often you dunk it, how well you wash it and how far you drive it after washing , to dry things out, you could be re-doing the brakes every 6 or 12 months too.

Buy a decent 12 v winch like a 912 and haul the boat on without drowning the brakes and save youself some ongoing costs and hassles IMO.

Cheers
Chimo

J2DAG83
23-03-2010, 10:56 AM
PM'd Business Class

Thanks Chimo

bigfella23
31-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Be carefull with the Hydrastar that plugs into the cig lighter. The ADR's require the brakes to be able to be applied from inside the cab , and i am not sure if this model does that. The std 1200psi Hydrastar unit that runs through a std brake controller (re horse float or caravan) might be a better way to go , and the units can be repaired easily.
Brake controller normally $200 approx , and about $100 to fit.

O-3
03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Tekonsha have a wireless version, might be worth checking out?

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/accessory.asp?cat=1435&titulo=Proportional%20Controllers

J2DAG83
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the further replies fellas..... new unit was installed last week..... used it a fair bit over the last 4 days and am extrememly happy with how it works.... i guess time will tell though whether or not it was the right decision.

Cheers