PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance/Yamaha fuel usage problem...

spelchek
21-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Just got the first run in the boat after having the 40 Yammie 'hooked up' to the Lowrance HDS 5.

Put 20l in at the servo - set the appropriate amount in the HDS 'refuel screen'.

Got on the water - kicked her over, booted the HDS and I was instantly pleased and geeked out at all the virtual gauges that sprng to life. RPM, Litres/hr fuel usage, temp, SOG and tilt/trim all there - just as I'd imagined!!! JOY!!! OH THE THRILL OF IT ALL!!!

Went for a run, resplendant in the knowledge that *I* was a maritime GOD, fully informed all the important processes going on in my vessel, soberly (yet with a kid-like grin a mile wide that I just couldn't shake off) taking all into account and sundry, adjusting trim meticulously (as only someone truly in tune with his craft, with all the figures to behold in front of him can do) to find best cruising speed.

At one with the river, my journey and my boat.

And then I thought - wow, wonder how much fuel I've burnt so far - I'd better check (just to be prudent, you understand).

And thats when I found it. The 'Fuel used' screen is all showing 0000.00 for everything. 0000.00 since last fill. 0000.00 for trip. 0000.00 .... you get the picture.

And so in seconds, I became just another boatie with neeearly everything working and pissed off with the *(*&(^&*(* bloody thing in front of me. Just another average joe with 'a hitch'. An idiot on the water with technology thats juuust a little beyond him.

Help.

honda900
22-03-2010, 11:31 AM
spelchek,

you first need to run through fuel tank configuration and setup. vessel setup in your manual page 99.

so you configure your tank location, number of tanks and size of tank.

once you do this bit you will then start collecting fuel usage information, however I suggest you follow the next couple of steps to ensure you calibrate it properly, you will bugger it up, everyone does, but start from scratch to fix it.

configure the tank size and location
fill your boat up, then go in to the menu - refuel and set the tank to full ( do not change the callibration).
spend your day on the water, watching your fuel usage change to make sure its all working.
Go to the servo, either on your way home or before you go out next, take note of exactly how many litres went into the boat.
from the menu select refuel, add the right amount of fuel, now if the unit is likely to underestimate the amount of fuel used, select set to full check box and press enter, you are now prompted to recalibrate, select ok and enter the correct amount of fuel you added at the servo. then follow the bouncing ball.you should only need to do this once or twice and you will soon see that the callibration becomes much more accurate.

Regards
HOnda.

spelchek
22-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks honda - can I just ask what brand motor you are running. I'm hoping it's a Yammie asd I've just been told by lowrance that the yammie comms cable doesnt transmit amount of fuel used - only the rateof fuel per hour. I find this a little hard to believe tho as, if the hds unit knows how many L/hr I'm burning, surely it can extrapolate how much fuel I've used in X hours.

Anyone running a yammie 4 stroke with comms cable to a HDS unit or similar?

edit -> Honda. FYI I've got the HDS 'set up' with the motor - no. tanks no. of engones, tank size etc. Havn't done a calibration yet - do you think I need to do the calibration before the fuel used pages on the hds will work at all? I figured the unit might need calibrating to fine-tune the amount of fuel used, but it should return something even without a calibration doesnt it?

dreemon
22-03-2010, 03:59 PM
LOL I know how you feel, new colour gpsmap with sonar, then WTF ?!?!
it's. . . it's not reading the bottom or depth ! ! I'm gonna hit a sandbank now !
Garmin replaced it.
Cheers for the story

honda900
23-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Spelchek,

Nope, suzuki.

No, dont recalibrate it until you use it. if you have it configured, put the muffs on and test, just add the overlay to your screen and you will see the numbers move.

just remember, to set the HDS to a full tank, then go fill it up and start from scratch, dont recalibrate until after you do your first real trip.

I Agree, If you know the fuel rate / burn per hour, and you know the size of the tank, then you know how much fuel you have used, therefore how much is left in the tank.

The fuel usage data is actually stored in the EP20 not the HDS unit as most people think. So you can reset your unit back to defaults entirely, reconfigure the fuel tank and it will know how much fuel you have left.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
HOnda.

spelchek
23-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Cheers mate. Sorry - whats the EP20?

honda900
23-03-2010, 03:29 PM
The EP20 is the engine interface module.

Did you give it a try?

Regards
Honda.

spelchek
23-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Ahh - ok, no wonder I didn't know. Felt like a dill for a minute :) Lowrance are telling me that the equivalent Yamaha interface (ie mine) does not send 'fuel used' information. It sends 'l/hr' info only. The HDS then uses the GPS to figure l/km. But that still leaves me without a 'total litres used'. Which is the single main reason I went through with the purchase.

I'll have a big play around this weekend - got a boys weekend I'm taking the boat to in Hervey BAy. I'll fill it up (and tell the HDS I have done so) run it for the wekend, then fill it on my return to do the calibration and see if that gets it working.

I would go down now and fire it up - only I don't have muffs, instead use a hose fitting strait onto the motor. The Yammie manual says not to run the motor like this.

spelchek
23-03-2010, 03:57 PM
AH HA!!!

Here's my problem.

NMEA 2000 Yamaha Engines output the following standard data:
• Engine RPM
• Boost Pressure
• Engine Trim: 2006 and later
• Oil Pressure
• Engine Temp: 2006 and later
• Alternator Voltage
• Fuel Rate
• Hours Used
• Water Pressure
• Fuel Economy – if a speed source is on the network
• Some Diagnostics – not sure which ones as they do not publish this
information
Yamaha Engines are configured over the network by their (Yamaha proprietary)
gauges, using proprietary messages. They cannot be configured by Lowrance
gauges or head units.

VS Suzuki

The Suzuki Engine interface can provide the following information over the
NMEA 2000 network:
• Engine RPM
• Alternator Voltage
• Engine Hours
• Fuel Flow
• Engine Trim
• Fuel Used
• Trip Fuel Used
• Seasonal Fuel Used
• Speed over water (DF300 Only)
• Water Pressure (DF300 Only)
• Current Gear (DF300 Only)
• Standard Diagnostics
o Overheat
o Low Oil Pressure
o Over Rev
o Low Battery Voltage

Taken from this document (http://primus.lowrance.com/icr/NMEA%202000/NMEA2K_engine_info.htm). It appears I'm sh*t outta luck.

honda900
23-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok, well you now you have NMEA network which is the big expense, you could still add an ep60 fuel flow meter which will give you fuel usage.

if you put the HDS in the boat, turn the engine on and the HDS you can go into the overlay data menu and see what options are available to be displayed. also go into the fuel management menu and have a look there. Try it.. you never know..

let us know how it goes.

Regards
HOnda.