PDA

View Full Version : flushing outboard motors

Len Pullen
21-03-2010, 03:34 PM
if the water is connected to both the ear muffs and the top flushing plug surely you would have the complete flush ---run the motor or not ----what harm could this do------len

STUIE63
21-03-2010, 04:59 PM
on my motor the top flush is the water outlet and you are effectively reverse flushing against the flow from the water pump so I would suggest that you read your manual or talk to your mechanic / dealer
Stuie

Chimo
21-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Len

Dont think you will get a different answer with new thread.

You can do one or the other

You cannot do both at the same time

Cheers
Chimo

Stik-ugly
21-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I was told by my mechanic not to start the motor when you connect the top reverse flush feature. This is on a 4 stroke Merc

TheRealAndy
21-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I was told by my mechanic not to start the motor when you connect the top reverse flush feature. This is on a 4 stroke Merc

50hp Merc 4 stroke manual says to run the motor on idle when using the flushing adaptor.

Toddy_again
21-03-2010, 09:59 PM
50hp Merc 4 stroke manual says to run the motor on idle when using the flushing adaptor.

What hose fitting is it Andy?

Toddy

the baker
22-03-2010, 01:10 AM
I would think it would not be good to start the motor on the reverse flush as you would not get the water pressure on the impeller & you may burn it out

Dave

Noelm
22-03-2010, 08:55 AM
OK, heres the "poop" on flushers, (this applies to almost all motors) the hose attachment that screws in up near the powerhead somewhere is usually NOT to be used with the motor running, it is good for late nights so no noise is created from the motor, "ear muff" flushers are fine to start the motor, but do not rev the motor in neutral, this is especially true for 2 strokes, the first time you get a "runaway" you will know why, for high HP motors, a set of double sided flushers is advised, that is a hose connection on each side, you can make your own, but you need to buy two flushers and remove the side with a hose connection on one set, and fit it to the other, then make up a clip together hose fitting that has a Y piece so a hose will go to each side.

charleville
22-03-2010, 10:35 AM
a set of double sided flushers is advised, that is a hose connection on each side, you can make your own, but you need to buy two flushers and remove the side with a hose connection on one set, and fit it to the other, then make up a clip together hose fitting that has a Y piece so a hose will go to each side.

I made my own a few years ago and it works very well. I was looking at ear muffs recently in a store - I think that it was because they were very cheaply priced which attracted my curiousity - and I found that there is often quite a lot of difference between the hardness of the rubber between one set and another. On criticism that I have of mine is that the rubber is a bit hard and accordingly, they don't especially fit snugly. That means that a lot of water escapes outside.

Home made double sided muffs are very simple to make from a couple of single sided muffs and can cost a fair bit less than buying the the shop made ones.