PDA

View Full Version : Pete Faust Newby

PBass
21-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey guys and gals heading to Peter Faust Dam in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anybody had any information to share.. Will be targeting Barra and Sooties and also throwing out a few pots for Redclaw.. Any information would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.. Sean

Obi _ Wan
21-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Sean,, Mate drop in and see Lindsay Dobe at Proserpine Bait and Tackle.

Lindsay is a top bloke and will help you out with what is happening on Lake Proserpine (Peter Faust Dam)

Cheers,
John.

PBass
21-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks mate will do that just trying to gather as much info as I can before we get there.. Cheers Sean

vinny78
22-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Stuck my head in there for a look see on the way home from Awoonga to Townsville and found the dam totally deserted. Not a single car out there.

A large portion of the dam ( probably 50% ) is an exclusion zone at the moment due to noxious weed.

I hope that there is still good fishing to be had outside of this exclusion zone because I'd like to get down there myself more often for a fish.

Cheers, Andrew

Obi _ Wan
22-03-2010, 05:51 PM
A large portion of the dam ( probably 50% ) is an exclusion zone at the moment due to noxious weed.

I hope that there is still good fishing to be had outside of this exclusion zone because I'd like to get down there myself more often for a fish.

Cheers, Andrew

Hey Andrew, That sign went up about 4 years ago when the lake was around 15% and was never enforced as it caused a hell of a stink in the town.

Mate i know this as i was there when it all happened, the sign has never been removed.

The big hassle was, some people were getting out of their boats up the back of the dam and walking the banks, this action could have spread seed which is viable for 20 years and can grow in 12 feet of water. If Sunwater saw more people walking the banks the dam would have had the exclusion zone enforced.

So the big rule is, only get out of your boat at the ramp, you are not permitted to land anywhere else, that has always been the rule (law).
As a footnote this noxious weed, Mimosa Pigra has infested some of the waterways in the Northern Territory, not nice stuff, there mat still be some pic's of it on the notice board.

For any that don't believe what i write give Lindsay Dobe a call at Proserpine Bait and Tackle.

Cheers,
John.

levinge
22-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Mate, where do we start.

Promising spots are:

The Basin, this is the area about 500m from the wall, troll this area with lures from 2m to 6m in depth

The last time we were down there, the Green/Black and the Grey lures seem to be doing the most damage. As in previous years, it seems to be a different colour everytime we go, so, just keep trying different tactics, speeds and lure type and colour.

Another spot is along the wall, this can produce at times and around the inlet tower, big sooties will lurk here, as well as the odd big barra...

There are multitudes of areas to fish, one hint, keep an eye out for the Pro and if he is in the basin, thats the spot, if he is elsewhere then its a pretty good idea to play up toward the wood.

The fish in Faust seem to bite more if there are N or NW'ly winds blowing, you'll be able to tell this, if the wind is coming off the mountain behind the Dam then they will be biting, if its coming over the Dam Wall, its going to be a hard day.

Another tip, look for the schools of bait, the barra will also be feeding and sitting close by to them..

Be Careful on the Dam as when the winds pick up, it can become really choppy.

Redclaw - when you launch head toward the wood, along the left bank about 500m from the ramp, it shallows and there is alot of weed, you want to be just on the edge of it and drop your pots. Last November the guys were absolutely smashing the big ones in their pots and using Corn Cob (Secret Weapon)....

Hope this helps out a bit...Tight lines and have fun

vinny78
23-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for shedding some light on that exclusion zone thing John. Will definately follow the rules, I do know of Mimosa and wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading the problem.

Cheers, Andrew

PBass
23-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey guys do you think the cyclone that hit Airlie would affect the fishing at Peter Faust?? I'm guessing they'll still be there we just may need to work a little harder.. What are your thoughts?? Cheers Sean

levinge
23-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Pressure from the Cyclone (barometric), may have affected the fish, hard to say.

Only advice is to have a crack and see what happens...

Good Luck and Tight Lines

gav73
24-03-2010, 08:07 AM
When are you going to Faust PBass.

PBass
30-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Heading there on Thursday.. Has anyone got any recent reports?? Cheers Sean