PDA

View Full Version : little ships

kitty_cat
18-03-2010, 07:48 AM
just a heads up for everyone , little ships has been called off indefinatly this year due to bad weather and the end of light tackle season being to close to reschedule.

reel scream
18-03-2010, 03:43 PM
as long as Rainbow is still on life is good....

kitty_cat
18-03-2010, 06:33 PM
hey scott
yeh shame as little ships is a great atmosphere as far as comps goes but as in life reds always trumps blacks lol

ps anyone looking at rainbow comp word is due to fraser not on this year accomadtion is getting close to booked out not sure if true but just what i heard
(23rd july - 1st august)

vertico
18-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Yerh Ill be up there this year try and snag some reds :P

smclaren
19-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Can someone explain to the newb's (me) what the Little Ships tournament is about ?

finding_time
19-03-2010, 12:22 PM
It a game fishing comp! Most clubs run 1 or 2 comps a season and this is there's! It's definately one of the better comps in the season even if there is some rather interesting divisions of the prizes at the presentation;) :-X :-X :-X

TCSunCoast
19-03-2010, 03:22 PM
This is a shame, I keep hearing about this famed comp and was looking forward to going.

Maybee next year.

Smithy
19-03-2010, 06:27 PM
The Little Ship Gamefish Tournament is conducted by the Little Ship Game Club from their clubhouse at the One Mile at Dunwhich on North Stradbroke Island. Now less people seem to travel it is a good mix of Gold Coast boats from the two clubs down there, the two Sunny Coast clubs, Bribie Island and the three Moreton Bay based clubs where everyone can let their hair down as it is only a short stumble to your boat to sleep as everyone rafts up and there are no roads so no-one shoots off home and the atmosphere is great with the fishing almost secondary to the party. They also open the species list up to things like mackerel and snapper etc. for the guys with a more bottom bashing bent to go in this once a year game comp for them. It is a pretty even mix of trailerboats and big boats with only 40 big boats gauranteed a spot in the raft up and Little Ships usually pulls in the 40+ numbers of boats, especially if the weather is good. In recent memory it is won by Gold Coast boats fishing light tackle off their home grounds or Sunny Coast boats fishing light tackle off their home grounds. It has been won heavy tackle a few times since I have done it but no times from local Moreton/Straddy waters.

Marlin_Mike
20-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Sounds like they are going to miss the turnover Smithy, looks a big $$$$ earner for them that wont ring the tills this year.............bummer for them, thats gotta hurt.

Mike

captain rednut
23-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Aquasition Is Going To Miss The Little Ships This Year As Its On Of Our Favourite Comps, So Its Back To Tanga Tournament This Year Instead. Looking Forward To It.
Cheers Jim

GPB
23-03-2010, 08:53 PM
The MGFC Billfish Bonanza is the last light tackle tournament of the year in SEQ, this year it is back at the Mooloolaba Yacht Club on the 24-26th April, top prizes in that one too.

Smithy, we got runner up on John Smiths 'Black Jack' about 2004-5, when Cameron O'May scored Champion Angler with a little Blue we captured just E of the Cape, Mechelle Temenick spent hours on a monster Blue also off the Cape, the boat she was in [SCGFC boat] won the comp with her fish and another species.

trueblue
23-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Where can I find info on the MGFC Billfish Bonanza tournament? it doesn't seem to be listed on their website, which only mentions last year

cheers

Mick

Midnight
23-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah same for me, and the Back to Tangas tournament.

Will you have any info for either at the club meeting Smithy?

Cheers

GPB
24-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Stephen [The Animal] should be able to give you a heads up shortly.

business class
24-03-2010, 09:57 AM
the SPGFC all tackle all species is on this weekend, weather is looking Fantastic with some fish also showing up so could be another cracker of a comp. We will be attending in our little hydrofield (MUrphys Law) and look forward to hopefully another great tournament and a few beers.......

Cheers
Matty

Midnight
24-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Good luck with the "Torres Strait Islander" tagpole technique this weekend Matty!

Cheers,
Myles

Smithy
25-03-2010, 08:56 AM
No info yet electronically via QGFA and Jess Walker is the secretary of both MGFC and QGFA and circulates them as soon as she gets them. As for "Back to Tangas" dunno if they do things electronically or snail mail so things could be in the mailbox.

Bunny,

I first did Little Ships in '02 on "Bad Billy" the 30' Black Watch when the 36' Black Watch "Black Bart" won it heavy tackle. '03 I won the small boat section in my McClay platey, '04 I must have done it on Monroe's 26' Black Watch "Fair Dinkum", there were three years where SCGFC boats "Palagero", "Watch Ya Problem" and "Bangalee" won it light tackle. One of those years I was on the 35' Luhrs "Reel Crazy" out of the Gold Coast, another year I was on the 29' Blackfin "Reel Kool" also from the Goldy. Going backwards it was won last year, '09 by "Five Star" the 44' Southern Cross from the Gold Coast and I was on "Pacemaker" the 32' Pleysier, '08 I didn't do it due to bad weather but I was going to be on "Bangalee" the 35' Carribean and that must have been won by "Five Star" or "Amigo" another 35' Carribean as "Five Star" has won it twice in recent memory and "Amigo" at least once too I think. '06 I was down at Port Stephens for the Interclub.

business class
25-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Good luck with the "Torres Strait Islander" tagpole technique this weekend Matty!

Cheers,
Myles

LOL, yeah i am hope n i can stay in the boat this weekend;) ;D ... But cheers should be a good comp with the weather predicted.

Cheers
Matty