PDA

View Full Version : Hold On Cyclone Is A Coming

jtpython
17-03-2010, 05:55 PM
After all the wet weather of late this all we need here of all things
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

trymyluck
17-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Not what we want at the moment but i'm not convinced we don't need it..... But end of the day all we can do is be prepared.

Mark

I'll be happy if it just visits you guys and forgets about us......;D

grahams
17-03-2010, 06:28 PM
JT,
You got room in your shed for a pair of 11m Voyagers??
Now where did I put that copy of the insurance policy?

jtpython
17-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Mine only fits in mate let alone them big fella's
Yes looking bleak on it's path at moment mate
JT

MyEscape
18-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Yes, it's not looking at present. Here in Mackay or any region just south might cop a bit of a flogging.

Not a lot more to do except be prepared. I'm lucky that all of my stuff (most importantly the boat!) fits in the shed with a littel bit of re-arranging. But of course it depends how well sheds and houses stand up to hours of high winds of a cyclone.

Will be an interesting next 48 hours I would say.

All the best to evryone in the path of it.

Steve

TimiBoy
18-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Good luck up there folks.

Cheers,

Tim

Apollo
18-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Agree with Tim. Hang on those affected and be safe.

Steve

NEWBY
18-03-2010, 06:43 AM
It will keep heading South then head back out to sea to die out. Like they all do.
Thats where the smart money would go anyway.

troy
18-03-2010, 07:35 AM
It will keep heading South then head back out to sea to die out. Like they all do.
Thats where the smart money would go anyway.
They are predicting it will hit between Cardwell and St Lawrence but they say it will start moving south west .
It would have to change course to hit where they have predicted.
Do not think they know where it is.
Troy

levinge
18-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Good Luck Guys...

Question for you, are your houses down there subject to the Cyclone Code Building Policy like here in NQ. If not, it's going to be a rough time and might result in some houses suffering some really bad damage...

I just hope it misses you all and landfalls in minimally populated area...

blacksunday
18-03-2010, 08:36 AM
hope its just a few showers like i said to you a while ago mate dam is still going over wall any more in the catchment areas and who knows might even get minor flooding again.

gr hilly
18-03-2010, 11:00 AM
we don't need any more but get the boat ready folks we might have to use them to go shopping

rando
18-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I hope it does'nt do too much damage if it comes ashore.
On the positive side though, another big flush going down the Murray basin will be good for the environment.It might even make it all the way to the mouth,given that there is a fair bit on its way south already.

Marlin_Mike
18-03-2010, 12:04 PM
From the BOM site this morning..

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului at 10:00 am EST:
.Centre located near...... 15.0 degrees South 157.8 degrees East
.Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres
.Recent movement.......... towards the south southwest at 6 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 205 kilometres per hour - BUGGER!!!!
.Severity category........ 3
.Central pressure......... 960 hectoPascals

The bugger added by me, not BOM.... ;D That's a tad more than an afterrnoon seabreeze.

Mike

Benno1
18-03-2010, 01:36 PM
CHEESE N RICE...you lot better batten down that hatches...i hope for everyones sake it stays out to sea...be safe guys!!! 18 months ago over here in Galveston...Hurricane Ike (a cat 3) smashed it all to hell...theyre still recovering now. Houses left as they stood 18 months ago...50,000 people just up and left...insurance companies just somehow dont have the money to pay out the claims.
Once again be safe Ausfishers and your families.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Noiseworks
18-03-2010, 06:50 PM
We are holding on tight and watching the weather like true fishermen!!! Things are starting to get a bit edgier around town, grocery shops are doing a great trade, and at work (McGinns) we've just about sold out of generators. 36hours and we'll definitely know how things are shaping up. Just confused about why the prediction is that the cyclone will accelerate so much over the next couple of days, when you look at how little it has travelled in recent days. Any suggestions?

cuzzamundi
18-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah mate it's the the high in the Tasman...as that system moves eastwards, the theory is that it will then push the cylone westwards. AT the moment they're in stalemate (The high's in line with the cyclone im terms of longitude), but once that changes, the tropical system is usually pushed away from the high, which in this case would be westwrds. Let's hope the high weakens and this doesn't happen! Too much $%^%$#$ fresh around as is...not to mention the damage!

Cuzza

SWANO1
18-03-2010, 08:34 PM
recon airlie/dingo beach better put the bbq inside sat night and leave the cat out
cheers and be safe swano

MyEscape
19-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes the latest forecast is to hit land around Airlie/Proserpine area.

Today may make more sence of it.

Newby, not having a go personally, but there's no need to be complacent about these. They do not always head out to sea. Yes, the severe one last year around the same time did, but there's no reason to think all cyclones will.

All the predictions so far suggest that it will vross the coast, and this weekend is looking like it.

Steve (at Hay Point)

sandbankmagnet
19-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep. Here it comes. The last cycle of satelitte images has it on the move towards the coast. Be safe people.

cqfreshie
19-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Well it's down to a cat 2 now .. but anything can happen.

Up in the hills here at the Mount we're pretty safe, unless it crosses at Yeppoon (not likely at this time).

Best wishews to you guys up there from Mackay up. Keep safe now.

cammo79
19-03-2010, 11:34 PM
any more rain here in mackay and ill be chasing sooties out on the reef

ozbee
20-03-2010, 03:47 AM
4 am in Ayr not a puff of breeze i reckon it will swing more west .Bowen i reckon there's a jut out of coast line below ayr and will bounce off the Whitsunday island and hilly main land

Noiseworks
20-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Boats secured in the garage. Yard is cleaned up, nothing much more to do now but wait. ......... and hold our breath.

MyEscape
20-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Yep, we've got everything covered, under cover etc.

Looks like it should hit around midnight - 2am. Just on high tide and it's a reasonable tide too. Not sure whether there is much of a tidal surge associated with it, however good to know we are on fairly high ground at Hay Point.

Would not feel real safe in parts of south Mackay, near far beach etc.

Just a matter of waiting now.

Steve

krazyfisher
20-03-2010, 03:38 PM
not happy with it hitting at night I would rather see it coming

banksmister
20-03-2010, 07:49 PM
QUEENSLAND Premier Anna Bligh has declared a disaster zone across the state's central and northern coast ahead of the anticipated arrival of Tropical Cyclone Ului.

The declaration gives authorities to conduct mandatory evacuations and effects eight local government areas.
Cyclone Ului is predicted to cross the coast between Ayr and Mackay as a category two or three system early tomorrow, bringing destructive wind gusts of up to 170 kilometers an hour.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns rain falls of up to 300mm are possible in areas located in the path of the cyclone.
Ms Bligh says the disaster declarations are for the Townsville, Burdekin, Whitsunday, Charters Towers, Mackay, Isaac, Rockhampton and Central Highlands local government areas and is in anticipation some properties may need to be evacuated in the coming hours.

To all those that are in the area take care, our thoughts are with u
PS:Looks like Anna knows more about the weather than the gods

BobbyJ123
20-03-2010, 08:02 PM
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp?lt=radarz&lc=022

Taken at 8.00 pm

mowerman
20-03-2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

marto78
21-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Just spoke to my little bro in mackay and he said that its pretty windy and they have lost power but he seemed to be more stressed about the fact that I've just woken him up at midnight to find out whats happening.

Daintreeboy
21-03-2010, 12:55 AM
109 Knots at Hamilton Island

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60700.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60701/IDQ60701.94368.shtml

Daintreeboy
21-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Satellite pics

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Australia3

SWANO1
21-03-2010, 07:42 AM
just off the phone to me mate that lives just near the airlie turn off out side of prossie and to pardon the pun it really put the wind up him, said his house was humming all night and water pouring through windows forced in with 200k winds he said all the trees that grow along the creek look like they have had a chain draged through em , all his cane flattened but does not know yet if its been snapped off, several big gums down , side of machinery shed missing, house looks like a giant whipper snipper has been around it,
he went out when the eye passed over and said it was the spookiest feeling ever looking up at the stars and not a breath of wind and it took over an hour for the eye to pass over and then from no wind to 200ks in less than 5 mins.
it hit 109knots at hamilton island:o
hope everyone eles escaped with as little damage as he did ,,, but i think that will be wishfull thinking as 200ks of wind would be hurling missiles all through the town proper and thats what triggers off major damage.
he will send photos later
keep yas posted cheers swano

jtpython
22-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Big clean up north seems to be a fair bit of damage by looking at the news and sunrise this morning . Hope everyone is all good and gets the help they need quickley
JT

Rosie M
22-03-2010, 07:29 PM
:end:
There is another low above the far north....we will watch....:o

blacksunday
22-03-2010, 08:11 PM
still bloody raining here havent had a chance to work on the boat the past 2 days now starting to give me the shits sitting inside locked up having to listen to the misses all day lol

sprocketman
23-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Power came back on at 1:45 this morning - thank god, sick of tinned food!

krazyfisher
23-03-2010, 07:42 PM
power just came back on.... behold let there be light!!!!

MyEscape
25-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Well ast Hay Point we just got power back on yesterday (Wednesday). We had quite a few big trees come down, bit of work to do next weekend I tell you.

Quite surprised with the lack of structural damage, that there has been so many power lines down.

Just my opinion, but perhaps rather than trees being trimmed back from power lines they need to be removed altogether if they are close to power lines. Perhaps there has been too much complacency over a period of time.

But, the ergon crews have certainly got some work done around our area. There was certainly lots of lines down.

Steve

BobbyJ123
25-03-2010, 04:45 AM
93 hours without power in my village of Ball Bay; just got it back 7 pm last night (24th). We had 6 hours of winds to 185 kmh and 7 inches of rain. Millions of broken branches and fallen trees, but no structural damage. Airlie suffered with the loss of many boats and yachts.