PDA

View Full Version : optimax 115HP supercharge or seamaster battery?

Razgo-
17-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I was speaking to Bias Boating trying to get a suitable battery for my optimax 115HP.

The manual says has to be at least 800CCA.

they had a duel purpose 800CCA $231 or cold get in a 950CCA supercharge sealed battery which is for 4WD for $280.00

Their rep said there is very little difference between the marina sea master battery and the supercharge battery which can be used in a marina application.

is this correct?

Chimo
17-03-2010, 05:30 PM
See your PMs

C
C

deckie
17-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Those prices seem a little padded for what they are.

For that money u could consider an optima d34m ..u can get them for just over 300 delivered. Put one in today and pretty sure its around 800+cca. Depends if u want to run a slab of accessories off it or it is part of a dual system.
Only heard good things about the seamaster gold cranking batteries.

Razgo-
17-03-2010, 07:10 PM
thanks chimo. i might see if they have seamaster batteries.

deckie, the 950CCA sounds cheaper at $280 than over $300 for 800CCA?

although thats supercharge but i think they make seamaster from what i can tell.

foudn this site http://www.supercharge.com.au

but i was a little confused why the rep suggested the supercharge and not the seamaster? if they really are te same thing then why the name difference? just a little confused.

i wouldn't mind a 950CCA just to cover bases and having a bit more rather than a bit less.

i thought there might have been some differences in the plates or something. And seamaster seem to only go to 720CCA? That might be why they suggested the sealed supercharge 950CCA.

Moonlighter
17-03-2010, 07:28 PM
The Supercharge "Allrounder" series are frequently used for the Opti's and are sealed and maintenance free. I had one for my TLDI Tohatsu and very haoppy with it.

Give Wondall Rd Marine a call for a price.

Razgo-
17-03-2010, 09:03 PM
i thought about the all rounder/duel purpose but i have a dedicated 100amp/hr i use for any extra 12v gadgets.

So i thought i would go dedicated cca. not sure i can get my head around how a battery can be both deep cycle and cca as well? i guess its advanced technology these days.

deckie
17-03-2010, 11:16 PM
thanks chimo. i might see if they have seamaster batteries.

deckie, the 950CCA sounds cheaper at $280 than over $300 for 800CCA?

although thats supercharge but i think they make seamaster from what i can tell.

foudn this site http://www.supercharge.com.au

but i was a little confused why the rep suggested the supercharge and not the seamaster? if they really are te same thing then why the name difference? just a little confused.

i wouldn't mind a 950CCA just to cover bases and having a bit more rather than a bit less.

i thought there might have been some differences in the plates or something. And seamaster seem to only go to 720CCA? That might be why they suggested the sealed supercharge 950CCA.

On face value yes.

Considering the lifespan of the battery no...the other is cheaper. I'm no expert but i think its also how long that cranking current is available for...some batteries can produce instant grunt but deteriorates fast. I guess its also a consideration how the battery accepts a charge...some will recharge much easier and faster which helps a lot for the short stop start stuff. You can have a battery rated much higher in CA but will it be truly delivering all that when worked during the day ?... or just in a perfect world when 100% charged.

Been to one of those stores and as far as i could gather there is very little if any difference between their "seamaster" range which is supposed to be cranking and their "allrounder". May only be a marketing thing. Was told their 'supercharge" were just their car batteries. Who knows.

FNQCairns
17-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Supercheap has 30% of some of it's supercharge lineup, might be worth a phonecall.

cheers fnq

Razgo-
18-03-2010, 04:06 AM
going to drop a couple pots this morning so will check out supercheap on way home.

honda900
18-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Razgo,

that sounds like a very big battery to start a 115, my 4 stroke 140 is only 700cca.

doesnt specifically say the 115 but maybe worth checking..

http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/outboardfaqs/electrical.php#6

regards
Honda.

Razgo-
18-03-2010, 07:11 PM
My Mercury Manual specifically says 800CCA is whats required. Spoke to coorparoo marine and they said that's correct too. Apparently the optimax draw a lot of current/voltage.

deckie
19-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah whilst i've never owned one i've also heard a few times that the Optimax's are a bit greedy by comparison when it comes to battery power. Not a drawback at all...great motors and simply something to cater for like you're doing. Sounds a lot of juice for a 115 but no point starving it.
maybe the supercharge allrounder MRV87 is big enough tho ??? at 825CCA. Big hulking thing tho. There's a Federal 24m-7 about mid $200's which i think is 870CCA

Razgo-
19-03-2010, 08:31 PM
For $280 supercharger 950cca as opposed to a allrounder 825cca for $289 i went for the dedicated cca. should come in on monday i hope.

I have a 100amp/hr house battery to use for anything else.

I am guessing the allrounder is a bit more expensive because of the deep cycle component.

russ

craigie
25-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi Russ,

My comments may be too late but here they are -

I have A 115 Opti with a seamaster battery. This is the second Seamaster I have matched to my 2004 Opti. The first was connected up for 4 years and never had a drama, only replaced it due to a bit of corrosion around one of the terminals and the wingnut wouldn't screw down the thread.
Coorparoo Marine do all my servicing so they could probobly tell you the size of the battery. Both battery's cost $150 each.
Wondal road marine sell the exact same battery for the same price.
Can't see why your shelling out $300 for something you don't need.

Cheers
Craig.
p.s Nav lights and sounder, GPS are also run from the "Cranking" battery.

Razgo-
25-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Already got the 950cca supercharger which is made by seamaster. very happy with my purchase. min requirement according to the manual is 800cca. seamaster only go to 720cca from what i could find out.

they also suggest not to use wing nuts.

hope mine will last 4-5 years also ;D

oh and i sussed out supercheap but they don't deal with supercharger batteries, they deal with "superforce" batteries.

happy with my purchase anyway.

russ