PDA

View Full Version : 1kw through hull tilted transducers

neil_stessco
16-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I've recently purchased a Garmin gpsmap 4008 for my Cruisecraft seameter, i'm interested in the through hull 1kw 20degree transducer for the unit and i am trying to get some feed back on the transducers from fellow members if you like them or is there a better transducer for the unit.

Thanks, Neil.

Alchemy
16-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Neil,

I've just received an Airmar SS164, 1kw 20 degree tilted element which will be hooked up to an FCV585. It will be a while before it is fitted, but I have high hopes for a great pic in most conditions at most speeds. Here's hoping! I paid $970 from the USA; (##### imports).

Regards,
Dave.

neil_stessco
17-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Hi Dave,

That is the unit i have been looking at, i just purchased one last night for a very neat price of $707.15aud so i will see how it goes i guess.

Thanks,
Neil.

Grand_Marlin
17-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Brilliant things - go for it!!

Reefmaster
17-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Neil,

I've just received an Airmar SS164, 1kw 20 degree tilted element which will be hooked up to an FCV585. It will be a while before it is fitted, but I have high hopes for a great pic in most conditions at most speeds. Here's hoping! I paid $970 from the USA; (##### imports).

Regards,
Dave.

Hey Dave
Are you going to insulate the s/steel tranny from the alloy hull?

Cheers
Greg

Alchemy
17-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey Dave
Are you going to insulate the s/steel tranny from the alloy hull?

Cheers
Greg

G'day Greg,

Yeah, I guess so. It comes with a plasic insulating insert so I guess it would be a good idea. What are your thoughts on it? I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were brass though.

Regards,
Dave.

Alchemy
17-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi Dave,

That is the unit i have been looking at, i just purchased one last night for a very neat price of $707.15aud so i will see how it goes i guess.

Thanks,
Neil.

Bugger, that's a good price Neil. I know I could have saved a few bucks on the one I bought, but given the price included freight, gst etc i thought I'd go this way. I also purchased my FCV585 from the same mob plus a set of QL450 trim tabs. Again I could have got the sounder a bit cheaper elsewhere, but the service was great plus he offers a deal in the unlikely event something needs to be returned for warranty.

neil_stessco
17-03-2010, 07:24 PM
As long as you are happy with the service and they have a quick turn around Dave that is all that matters mate, mine included gst and post also but we will see how this express post goes.

Grand Marlin thanks for the solid advice :)

Grand_Marlin
17-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Grand Marlin thanks for the solid advice :)

Short & Sweet ;D

You won't go wrong with one, so, nuff said :D

MEGA'bite
17-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Neil are you sure you have the right machine the garmin gpsmap 4008 is the same as the 4010 which i have and i dont belive it has a transducer, but please correct meif i am wrong. I do have a 1kw hooked up to a 585 also but its in hull and it works a treat.

neil_stessco
17-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Neil are you sure you have the right machine the garmin gpsmap 4008 is the same as the 4010 which i have and i dont belive it has a transducer, but please correct meif i am wrong. I do have a 1kw hooked up to a 585 also but its in hull and it works a treat.

Taken off the specs page on there homepage.

Features:

Garmin radar compatible: yes Garmin sonar compatible: yes

Thanks,
Neil.

Grand_Marlin
18-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Just a thought...

I haven't looked up the specs, but is the 4008 1kw capable?

If not, go with the 600w version at 1/3 the price

Far side
19-03-2010, 06:55 AM
If your fishing at depth eg over 40 meters and this is your only sounder then you will need the 1 KW unit the 600 watt ones just dont cut it at depth. The 4008 is not the sounder it is just the interface module you actually need to purchase a sounder module that connects via a network cable to the 4008. From memory the modules are 600 to 1000w compatable.

Might I suggest that you purchase a different specific sounder for fishing at depth the garmins just dont seem to cut it at the moment.

neil_stessco
19-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Far side thanks for the heads up.

I have ordered a sounder module and the transducer at the same time. I might run dual 8" units i have my eye on a Northstar M84 or even a M121 also as i like having a backup.

Neil.

Reefmaster
19-03-2010, 01:15 PM
G'day Greg,

Yeah, I guess so. It comes with a plasic insulating insert so I guess it would be a good idea. What are your thoughts on it? I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were brass though.

Regards,
Dave.

I looked into using one of these as well but the more I looked the more I become uneasy in using two dissimilar metals togethor due to electrolysis. Bottom of the hull isn't exactly a place I wanted to be having issues with but personally I think it would be a slow process and take some considerable time to cause any problems. I was advised from many in the industry not do it yet it seemed like most giving this advise hadn't tried or seen it first hand.

I was very close to using one and getting a very thin nylon washer made to isolate the flange of the s/steel Transducer to the alloy hull. I believed this would have worked a treat but in the end my decision not to use one didn't come down to this reseasoning but more price and trying to use the same tranducer that most punters use for my articles/talks/training purposes.

Cheers
Greg

Reefmaster
19-03-2010, 01:21 PM
If your fishing at depth eg over 40 meters and this is your only sounder then you will need the 1 KW unit the 600 watt ones just dont cut it at depth. The 4008 is not the sounder it is just the interface module you actually need to purchase a sounder module that connects via a network cable to the 4008. From memory the modules are 600 to 1000w compatable.

Might I suggest that you purchase a different specific sounder for fishing at depth the garmins just dont seem to cut it at the moment.

Are you suggesting that a 600w transducer is no good in depths over 40mtrs in general or that particular unit is no good with a 600w transducer?

Greg

Horse
19-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I am still happy with my 600w in around 80m. It struggles a bit in anything much deeper.

Neil

Alchemy
19-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I looked into using one of these as well but the more I looked the more I become uneasy in using two dissimilar metals togethor due to electrolysis. Bottom of the hull isn't exactly a place I wanted to be having issues with but personally I think it would be a slow process and take some considerable time to cause any problems. I was advised from many in the industry not do it yet it seemed like most giving this advise hadn't tried or seen it first hand.

I was very close to using one and getting a very thin nylon washer made to isolate the flange of the s/steel Transducer to the alloy hull. I believed this would have worked a treat but in the end my decision not to use one didn't come down to this reseasoning but more price and trying to use the same tranducer that most punters use for my articles/talks/training purposes.

Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg. I agree that it should be a slow process. I think I'll give it a go without the insulating insert as I can always make the hole bigger later and use the insulator if I find any issues. Also, mine will be accessible via the engine bay, so not too hard to alter down he track. The other advantage of not using the insulator is that there will be less of a protrusion and therefore hopefully better performance at speed.

So far as 1kw versus 600 watt goes..... the only reason I went the 1kw job was that the sounder had the capability and thought I would match the transducer accordingly. I was very tempted to stay with a JRC unit and 600w transducer as my old set up was great up to 100 odd metres. I doubt I'll ever need the capability, but it will be there :D

Thanks,
Dave.

Greg P
19-03-2010, 09:13 PM
I am sure it could be done but it needs to be easily inspected for issues. What about a wet box set up? Dave S has one in his rig that I believe works well. I stayed with the plastic 600w because of the risk. Wish airmar would come up with a 1k plastic unit.

peterbo3
20-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I am sure it could be done but it needs to be easily inspected for issues. What about a wet box set up? Dave S has one in his rig that I believe works well. I stayed with the plastic 600w because of the risk. Wish airmar would come up with a 1k plastic unit.

There is one. But not through hull. TM260. I will use the 600W whilst cruising then drop the 260 for detailed searching. Just need to change the transducer cable to the 585. Rob Smith has the 258 with similar setup.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2770Small.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2769Small.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2777Small.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2776Small.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2774Small.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2775Small.jpg

Far side
21-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Are you suggesting that a 600w transducer is no good in depths over 40mtrs in general or that particular unit is no good with a 600w transducer?

Greg
No not at all I have a 600 watt element thru hull on my koden and it bashes the bottom at 200 meters no problem. I have the same for the Garmin but it struggles over 40 meters.

Comparing the 2 the koden is substantially better with a 600 watt element .

The garmins work better with the 1000 watt element but they just dont build a good sounder in this range. I can get it to work but it is a frustrating piece of kit to drive and see both sounders side by side you really can see the difference.