PDA

View Full Version : 5.5m self draining offshore hull

cormorant
16-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Friend wants 5.5m offshore hull that has self draining deck

What are his choices and how good a boat is it. He can stretch to 6m depending on how it is measured . Good and bad points ?

He is not a fan of cats as he wants a single motor.

Can be a older rig doesn't have to be a new boat

What are his options?

bigjimg
16-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Cormorant there was a Jopalo for sale a little while ago.Don't knpw if it is still there though.Jim

nigelr
16-03-2010, 06:35 PM
These do a 5.5m, would easily be my choice if I had the $.
Impressive pedigree also.
Google 'typhoon boats australia'.

TJ Bear
16-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Not sure if a self drainig deck is a great idea in a 5.5m offshore boat as to get the floor hieght high enough to be an effective self drainer it is not good for stability and ones that have the self draining floor low to the water line like so many little boats with self draining floors are they can stop being self draining very quickly once you fill them with some water and quickly become self filling. Just my opinion. Is he after glass or plate?

marto78
16-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Has he looked at stabicrafts?

brisbane_boy
16-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeh the term self draining gets throwin around quiet loosely, seems to vary with every boat. i was having a look at typhoon boats dont own one or know anyone with one but theyd have to be worth a good look if safety is on ya mind

cormorant
16-03-2010, 08:26 PM
All points taken on board an dpassing on - Thanks

He told me he is looking at a Aussie Whaler on Monday.

Anyone know much about them and how they handle? Build quality ? Problems ?
Think it has a 90hp 2 stroke which sounds underpowered for longer runs

I'm with you TJ that on small boats they aren't self draining for long. The stabicrafts I have spent some time in and they are OK but again not a proper self draining . Put heavy 4 strokes or Max HP on a lot of boats and it really is wet feet catagory in thios size

Glass or ally he is not fussed but has a preference for glass as his back won't last forever . A ally with a wet keel may give a softer suitable ride and better moment at rest. Would be cheaper witha lower power required as well in theory.

wrxhoon
16-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Trophy walkaround would fit the bill. 1902 WA is the smallest they make with a self draining deck...She is 5.79 mt long and 2.44 wide.
http://www.trophyfishing.com/archive.asp?modelid=54067&reqtype=1,4,9

Chimo
16-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Cormorant

I found the 5.5 Aussie Whaler to be almost a typical tri hull and to definitely be too short for what it is. The 6.5 is a better size.

I compared the 5.5 AW to my old 5.6 Al Express and the Express was a better ride and handled the seas close to the sand pumping jetty by the seaway far more comfortably.

Your mate will no doubt make up his own mind; one hopes he has some boats in the brain to compare the new ones he test with.!

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
16-03-2010, 09:41 PM
He foolishly showed the wife the photos and she likes the clean finish - he may not have a choice - that would be funny

I have just looked at teh website and they don't seem deep enough in the hulls to get a smooth ride but I'm comparing it to a cat

Not huge experience in boats and a size upgrade for him but if it is a local boat some will make sure he does a test run and someone experienced goes with him.

Not a lot of options in this size range so he may squeeze up a size but them towing and storage are the issue

TJ Bear
16-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Im no Cat man but if he really wants a safe boat and a self draining deck with a good ride can you talk him into looking at a good used 5.2 Kevlar Cat or if not essential to be self draining any of the Seafarers are a quality boats with a great ride and performance. As for the Aussie Whaler it would not be my choice but each to his own.

Rock Crab
18-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Have a look at the Stabi Craft range ! The 529 or the 589 would be in your range or if you looking 2nd hand you may find a few 559 models around. Great stability, safety features and ride with a self draining deck !