PDA

View Full Version : Couple from Cal

JayT
16-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Guys,
Been ages since i have posted and due to the weather many thanks to those who have:)
Anyways saw a little window last tues o/night grabbed ol mate Al an headed for the 12mile tues arvo, there was a reasonable n/e chop so decided to throw out the lures an just cruise out and see what happened, dropped 2 screaming runs around the 9mile area and finally stayed connected to a nice hoo of around 10 odd kgs.
The night was fairly quiet with Al landing a nice knobby in the early hrs of the morning and we did manage to get a couple more fish at daybreak.
I had dropped some crab pots just outside the bar in about 30ft and when time to retrieve them wed morn we had noticed that the easterly ground swell was pumping over the bar and out of 4 pots we could only see 2 just on the break line. I can say we did get 2 back but had a nice little experience in the process, getting smashed with what seemed like a solid 5ft wave over the bow, we actually went under water thru the wave....hairy sh!t thats for sure!
There was a bloke on a jet ski hitting these waves an soaring 20 odd feet into the air, full on, he even came over after we ploughed that wave and said holly sh!t and I agreed,
Anyways enjoy the pics but remember as I have learnt, a couple of crab pots aint worth your boat or life!
Cheers Jay

jtpython
16-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Not a bad effort mate.
Is that wahoo cut thru the middle cause of ya esky size?
Great stuff.
JT

Fishbait
16-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Awesome keen session alright. Nice snapper too. Darren.

Midnight
16-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice Snapper! I love the Hoo cut in half hahaha it is always good when you catch something that wont fit in your box in one piece.

We normally barrell the Wahoo and Spaniards at sea if they aren't gonna fit. Head off from the pec fin forward, guts out and the tail off.

I have to make a new box before next year so that all the long toothy critters can stay in one piece.

Cheers,
Myles

Angla
17-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Good to see a report as I think it will be a while before the next one.

You certainly got a couple of quality fish for the table.

Cheers
Chris

Barrykrocker
17-03-2010, 03:49 PM
. nice bag. looks like the hoo fell victim to the black dahlia killer in that flick

jason p
17-03-2010, 05:15 PM
nice 1 mate good to see some nice size snaps this early in the season, hairy sh!t for sure there bloke, duck diving a 5 footer in ya boat now thats taking it to another level ha, good times good experences learning curves.
jp

JayT
17-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Haha yeah boys definately need a bigger esky,
Yeah jp the snap is a good sign for winter hopefully,
and would rather duckdive a 5 footer anyday....on a surfboard;)
Cheers

Fishnwell
25-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Interesting I was out on the 12mile Tues 23rd- Didn't know that Hoo frequented the area/ Any tips..What were you trolling and what SOG?

Wax_head
27-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Good to see someone getting a day off work!! Nice fish Jay. Got a spano a couple of weeks ago out near the blinker, about 8kgs. He run hard a couple of times then was happy to come aboard. Once I got him in the boat I legged it back in because the swell was starting to come through from the cyclone. It was at least 2 mtrs of swell and I was surfing the boat back in to carties. Carties was about 4ft clean. There was this old bloke out at the blinker, he looked like he was bream fishing in a 12 ft tiny. I motored over to see if he was staying and he just gave me a wave. He would of had an exciting run home.

You blokes could open a charter with catches of fish like that.

cya around the tracks
Bicko