PDA

View Full Version : First Time Yakker, What Should I Buy?

BR65
14-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Mornin all.

I'm keen to get into some yakking, but have zip experience in this area.
I'd like to use the kayak for fishing skinny water, also NPD if I can snag a permit this time around, and on nice mornings working the Redcliffe reefs.
I would be solo, cant sail, do have a spare Lowrance sounder ready to go.
What would you guys recommend.
Ive looked at Hobbies etc, very expensive, is there a good all rounder available that doesnt cost the earth?
Second hand is fine, I dont mind a few scratches or dings, because I'll be doing that myself as well no doubt.
What else do I need? Is there much of a difference in paddles? What about PFD's? Looking for any hints and tips please.

cheers
brian

LostNearBribie
14-03-2010, 05:15 PM
There are plenty of options mate.
Local you are looking at Extreme Kayaks at Caboolture they have the fish Bandit and the Outlaw.
Both are great fishing platforms.

I will PM you some more info.

tunaticer
14-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Go to Goodtime at the Gabba and have a look at thier selections. In particular take a look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon range, very well laid out for fishing and good deals can be had with them. The 140 or the 160 will be my next yak I think as they are so good to paddle and fish from.

I know it does not pertain to skinny water so much but the longer the craft the better they paddle and glide, the shorter they are the more they tic-tac when paddling and many more strokes are needed to cover the same ground. Makes a big difference off-shore especially in any form of windy conditions.

BR65
14-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks lads.
Is there an optimum width for stability?

Little grey men
14-03-2010, 08:38 PM
G'day mate,
I've no kayak experience but I'm shopping for one myself. I'd done a bit of research and found two I liked...the Fish Bandit by Extreme, and the Viking Ozzie. I'm after something very compact and fairly light that I can carry down the banks of a creek to chase the wild bass.
I dropped into the Viking show room this arvo just to sniff around and the sales guy grabbed a Nemo off the racks and let me sit in it. It's now my top pick. SLightly longer than I was originally looking for but he explained why this would be a kayak that would suit the style of fishing I do. They had a great range of bigger yaks which would be great for bassin' at NPD or even off the front of Redcliffe....the Pro Fish 45 looked really good !!!
I'm heading to the tackle and tinnie show next week to have a look at some more as well.

BaysideDrew
15-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey BR65,
There are a heap of options once you start looking. Most SOT kayaks are similar widths and quite stable but check them out for yourself (in water) before you buy to make sure you are comfortable with stability. Length is definately improtant. Shorter is easier in your skinny water but take is off shore off Redcliffe and you'll be glad you went for something longer that tracks well and makes a longer trip easier. The longer nose is also a plus if the water gets choppy. If you go shorter than 4m I would add a rudder to make things easier but longer yaks don't need one but then again, maybe an advantage in narrow waterways. I have a Viking Profish 45 which also has the built-in moulding for a sounder with the clear cover over it and set up for fishing. It's a great boat for me as I fish mostly rivers and offshore solo. I have the cheap paddle and PFD that came as a package with the boat and they work fine. The only problem with good fishing yaks is they hold their value and it is hard to find a cheap one second hand so I went for a good deal on a new one.

Gigantor
16-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Brian,

Would have to say that you are looking at 2 different kayaks - ie. one for skinny water (something short and light and wide) and one for off-shore at Redcliffe (one that is longer for stability and has ample room for bigger fish storage).

Got have a look on some of the well known kayak fishing web sites, which will give you an idea of what is being used. Maybe even attend some of these groups outtings, as most members will be happy to let you have a paddle in their yaks. You'll also pickup some good ideas on where to put things and what to attached to you yak.

- www.akff.net (http://www.akff.net)
- www.eckfc.com (http://www.eckfc.com)
- www.kfdu.com.au (http://www.kfdu.com.au)

Also most kayak dealers will have demo models you can take for a test paddle as well. So use this option to get a feel for what will suit you.

Also consider the capacity of the kayak. i.e. how heavy you weigh, and how heavy the gear you'll be regularly taking with you. There are stacks of yaks out there but not all have a high capacity. You don't want the water line nearly lapping over the edge in a small swell.

Cheers,

Pete

gaz066
16-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Bryan, most kayakers recommend going for a paddle in one before you buy it to see if it suits you.

I have a Profish 45 here ( seats ,paddles etc ) that you are welcome to borrow for a week or two if you want.

I have had it now for around a year and love it , probably not totally suited to skinny creeks ( you can still use it there though ) but on Wivenhoe , Hinze , in the bay out to Coochie or Peel or even an overnighter to Mission Point with the swag on the front (and a couple of cool treats in the back!) it suits me perfectly. Alex at Viking Kayaks Chermside is fantastic to deal with.

Whilst not the fittest these days it cruises along well and have done up to 25klms by the GPS some days

Whatever you get make sure it is sit on top , the next choice will be paddle or peddle.

Parksy

shayned
16-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Again paddle before you buy, remember to allow for roof racks in your purchase price.

pimp my boat
25-03-2010, 06:33 PM
hi brian have a look at my prowler 13 in the boats for sale on this site. It has it all and more. i live at Bracken Ridge if you want to have a look.