PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trailer Winch

perko
13-03-2010, 06:31 AM
What are some of the better electric trailer winches on the market? Looking for one to suit 5.5 meter glass boat for my father.

Beekee
13-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I put a super winch 3000 on mine. Pulls a tonne and a half up well. Has even scull dragged the boat over the sand when I have not been able to get the boat close to the trailer. Don't buy a cheapy unless it is only for a little boat under 4 meters. They won't last. The only trouble with the super winch is it does not have a place for a handle to manually winch. It does power in and out. Another good one is the power winch.

Spaniard_King
13-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Perko,

You need a 912 power winch

On Special ATM from http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=90027&intAbsolutePage=1

Was gunna offer one at the right price untill I found out Whittys are giving them away:o

oldboot
13-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Don't forget to factor in some serious electrical cable to run it on.

Otherwise you will lose half your power in the wires and an electric winch running out of juce is a more pitiful sound than a deflating bagpipe.

cheers

wrxhoon
13-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Perko,

You need a 912 power winch

On Special ATM from http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=90027&intAbsolutePage=1

Was gunna offer one at the right price untill I found out Whittys are giving them away:o

You can't beat the powerwinch, I know you can buy much cheaper Chinese winches but are they going to last?

I had the 912 pulling up a 24' flybridge , never any problems but you do need some decent cable . Thats a bargain price ....

Heath
13-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Go the 912 at that price.
I've got a 712 for my 20 footer & it pulls it up easy.

One thing I would do is replace the wire rope with dyneema straightaway. Great stuff.

timddo
13-03-2010, 10:03 AM
you guys are too rich. I paid $100 for my winch from ebay. ATV 3000lb. Pulls my boat up find and quick. Easy to install. I'v installed a battery on the trailer to solve the problem about distance and cable - cheap car battery. ( was free actually).

Also it has wireless remote, Now you can't beat that. Attach and press the button.

iqarus
13-03-2010, 10:15 AM
you guys are too rich. I paid $100 for my winch from ebay. ATV 3000lb. Pulls my boat up find and quick. Easy to install. I'v installed a battery on the trailer to solve the problem about distance and cable - cheap car battery. ( was free actually).

Also it has wireless remote, Now you can't beat that. Attach and press the button.

i bought the same one as a birthday gift for my father as he's getting a bit old to be hand winching the boat on.

he clips on the cable, holds the boat in the wind and uses the wireless remote to pull her on.

it skull dragged our 4.5 quinny millenium dory across 4 metres of mud, fully loaded with all our camping gear when we couldnt get the trailer into the water without getting bogged.

its definately got enough grunt.

Dignity
13-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Mate of mine bought a 4wd winch and having used it I would replace mine next time with one.

Chimo
13-03-2010, 04:42 PM
912 IS GOOD

make sure you engage the motor THEN tighten the knob just a bit more than enough so it hauls the boat in.

If you tighten first, over time you stuff the little thrust washers.

Good bit of gear used correctly and thats a brilliant price!

Chimo

Ally Jack
14-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Another vote for the 912 Powerwinch with dyneema cable

Just make sure to run decent cable direct from the battery back to the winch and you'll have no problems

Ally Jack

White Pointer
15-03-2010, 09:53 PM
G'day,

I have never winched my 6M plate boat more than 40mm. I drive it onto the trailer until it engages the boat latch.

It has enabled me to launch and retrieve on my own, but I can still manage the climb onto the trailer, up the winch post and onto the foredeck.

Is this an option?

Regards,

White Pointer

Chimo
16-03-2010, 07:23 AM
W P

Is what an option?

Cheers
Chimo

Mindi
16-03-2010, 01:19 PM
exactly what gauge electrical wire should be used...?

Dignity
16-03-2010, 07:45 PM
G'day,

I have never winched my 6M plate boat more than 40mm. I drive it onto the trailer until it engages the boat latch.

It has enabled me to launch and retrieve on my own, but I can still manage the climb onto the trailer, up the winch post and onto the foredeck.

Is this an option?

Regards,

White Pointer

White Pointer, do you have a picture of your boat latch as I have never sen one and am interested in getting one.

Getout
16-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Go the 912 at that price.
I've got a 712 for my 20 footer & it pulls it up easy.

One thing I would do is replace the wire rope with dyneema straightaway. Great stuff.

I was told that the cable spreader/flattener inside the winch won't work with dyneema. Do you have any problems with the rope winding on unevenly?

oldboot
16-03-2010, 11:15 PM
exactly what gauge electrical wire should be used...?

To get a truly accurate result, one would need to know the maximum current drain of the winch and the distance to the battery.

6mm automotive twin( actually 4.5mm2) is too light to run the length of the car and up the drawbar.
I know this first hand, I have a mate that has a winch wired with this, and it is a sad sad situation.

I'd be thinking 10mm2 would be a good place to start......#8 battery B&S is a bit lighter at 7mm2 ish ( possibly a little light), #6B&S at about 13mm2 would be reasoable.

Some of the boat shops are now stocking 10mm2 solar twin.

Think about this......how does your winch cable look beside your trolling motor cable... and you arent trying to yank over a tonne of boat on with your trolling motor.

cheers