PDA

View Full Version : Old Quintrex's

Pete Makra
13-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Hey guys, Have heard these older style quinnies are tough & built solid as a rock. They always seem to attract plenty of interest at auctions and sell quick. Don't know bottom/side thickness but if they are as good as some say, is it worth buying one & giving it a complete "refit".

Ie; new paint (all over), fittings, underfloor tank, floor/carpets, seats, covers, electronics & new motor etc (mates rates for paint work).

I intend buying much newer but your views on whether I'd be wasting my time & $ is appreciated, cheers Pete.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8445929

indy
13-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I Think that if you where to refit as stated that it would end up being quite an expensive exercise considering its already got 7K on it new motor would be probably that as well if not more so you would already be around the 15k mark plus all the rest of it electronics ect and in the end you still have a old quintrex. Dont waist your money mate as the whole thing is already 24 years old. Being a pressed boat of that age depending on where it has been and what it has done there could also be cracks starting in the hull ect.

cheers pete...

finga
13-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Yep, agree. Depends on idividual boats.
Dad's '71 mdel would be worth it because it's spent most of the time in the shed and most of it's work was in dams and an old fart nagivating her...so nothing wrong with her.
But some/most would be questionable.
A lot of people might thinks it's cheaper to refit BUT never works out. Especially so if you cannot do all the work yourself.
Just ask car restorers if it's cheaper/better to restore a car or buy one already completed?? The answer is always completed
In this instance it looks like there have been some attempts of refitting already. How well were they done??
When it boils down you'll be paying $7000 for a hull and old trailer.
If you want an old Quintrex buy it and use it or buy a good hull and fit her up to suit yourself.

Pete Makra
13-03-2010, 07:28 AM
I Think that if you where to refit as stated that it would end up being quite an expensive exercise considering its already got 7K on it new motor would be probably that as well if not more so you would already be around the 15k mark plus all the rest of it electronics ect and in the end you still have a old quintrex. Dont waist your money mate as the whole thing is already 24 years old. Being a pressed boat of that age depending on where it has been and what it has done there could also be cracks starting in the hull ect.

cheers pete...

Thanks Indy, knew the answer I suppose, cheers

Pete Makra
13-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Yep, agree. Depends on idividual boats.
Dad's '71 mdel would be worth it because it's spent most of the time in the shed and most of it's work was in dams and an old fart nagivating her...so nothing wrong with her.
But some/most would be questionable.
A lot of people might thinks it's cheaper to refit BUT never works out. Especially so if you cannot do all the work yourself.
Just ask car restorers if it's cheaper/better to restore a car or buy one already completed?? The answer is always completed
In this instance it looks like there have been some attempts of refitting already. How well were they done??
When it boils down you'll be paying $7000 for a hull and old trailer.
If you want an old Quintrex buy it and use it or buy a good hull and fit her up to suit yourself.

Thanks finga, I've done a bit of that "car" thing so I suppose a boat wouldn't be much different, so much for that idea, cheers, Pete

stevej
13-03-2010, 08:19 AM
or just buy a 7k boat and enjoy it for being a 7 k boat

use it abuse it and have fun

barrabart
13-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Yep i reckon you could do better for $7000.............. though i think the old quinnys are the pick of the old rafts, and i do like the flared out bows on them...... pretty sure they hold a fair bit of nostalgic value to most aussies, we probably all fished out of one as kids, or some may have even owned one back in the day, maybe even a brand newie, and i bet they enjoyed them too.

mouse71
29-03-2010, 07:13 AM
I had a '76 model Quintrex Fishrunner, turned it into a centre console with a yamaha 40, very dry boat with the exagerated flared bow, i'm pretty sure it had 5ml bottom and 4ml sides, very strong, sold it to my brother in law and it's still going strong, if you can get them cheap enough I think their a great boat to do up

cheers Mouse/Dennis

Meherio
29-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I owned a 5m Fishfinder centre console with a 70hp. It was a great riding, dry boat. Trimed right in almost any conditions offshore you could point in a diretion and it would sit on around 19kts. Low sides helped windage so it would ride flat. Small enough you coud get up some creeks. If you look at the hull shape Quintrex have almost returned to a 40 year old design with there eclipe design. Only thing the old ones had a bit more ally in them.
I have a 21 foot plate centre cab now and as much as I love it, I still think about the old girl.

dagsje
29-03-2010, 03:27 PM
i,ve got a 76 model, she,s still going strong, got a 55 suzuki on her . i paid 6500 for her 4 years ago , put in carpet, 2 seats 70 lt tank, new sounder and vhf radio. she is a dry ride a lot tougher than the new ones i reckon and a bit of history, i love every minute in the old girl, cheers darryl

Chimo
29-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Pete

IMHO get an older one with the proper rolled bow. It will be a lot dryer than the "newer" old ones .

Cheers
Chimo

PS 1 http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP003315510?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

PS 2 http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=D1114700293328?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

Pete Makra
02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
i,ve got a 76 model, she,s still going strong, got a 55 suzuki on her . i paid 6500 for her 4 years ago , put in carpet, 2 seats 70 lt tank, new sounder and vhf radio. she is a dry ride a lot tougher than the new ones i reckon and a bit of history, i love every minute in the old girl, cheers darryl

Thanks Darryl, nuthin wrong with your old girl, she looks great. I wouldn't mind buyin an old one and doin her up, I'm up for the challenge. Problem is gettin somethin with a good hull I guess. I still intend to buy newer and like the stessco's/formosas & trailcraft. I've been leaning towards somethin with 4ml bottoms/3ml sides, only because of strength and I want to avoid cracking etc. Budget is about $20K so I will have to make a decision on old & refit, or new 2nd hand soon, cheers Pete

Chimo
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Pete

How about this for something with a bit of potential?
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8235781

Cheers
Chimo

reilly
02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
lol I had a old quinine 69 mod runabout 13 foot, bought it in 1990 sold it in 1995 for more than t bought it for even though I changed the motor.

it's had 2 owners since and its still going strong, though it has changed colour from red to blue I had the shock of my life the neighbours friend turned up with it to pick him up to go fishing

its got the old 1988 mariner 30 tiller steer which i fitted which replaced fwd steering and old 71 johnno 50hp "was a dam scary ride with that"

Anyway for that kind of cash go for it it will need some sought of help I fixed 1 crack but that was trailer set up that caused it

Knew a fellow fisher who had a similar model to what you are looking at he had it from new he had replaced the bottom of the hull with plate alloy don't ask me how he was a very smart man and has since passed away the best flathead fisho in port Stephens

Reilly:laola:

Pete Makra
03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
lol I had a old quinine 69 mod runabout 13 foot, bought it in 1990 sold it in 1995 for more than t bought it for even though I changed the motor.

it's had 2 owners since and its still going strong, though it has changed colour from red to blue I had the shock of my life the neighbours friend turned up with it to pick him up to go fishing

its got the old 1988 mariner 30 tiller steer which i fitted which replaced fwd steering and old 71 johnno 50hp "was a dam scary ride with that"

Anyway for that kind of cash go for it it will need some sought of help I fixed 1 crack but that was trailer set up that caused it

Knew a fellow fisher who had a similar model to what you are looking at he had it from new he had replaced the bottom of the hull with plate alloy don't ask me how he was a very smart man and has since passed away the best flathead fisho in port Stephens

Reilly:laola:

Thanks Reilly, Although at this stage I'm still leaning towards somethin newer, I do feel up to the challenge of refitting an older style boat like the one in the link I put up. I know its a boat but I've got panel beating/spray painting mates who can help with paint etc and another boatie mate who is a quality welder (not sure about aluminium though). I also love tinkering with this sort of stuff and am pretty handy & fussy and reckon I could give an old "girl" like this a facelift to extend her fishin life. I might contact quintrex to see if I can find out the bottom/side thickness of the older (4.5mtr & up) boats cause if its the same as the newer models, I'm wasting my time. I might be wasting it anyway, we'll see, cheers Pete

Pete Makra
03-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Hey Dagsje, do you go outside in yours. I will spend most of my time in bays/inlets and protected waters but do want to go out occasionally close offshore (couple of kl's only), cheers Pete