PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Grand_Marlin

trueblue
12-03-2010, 06:56 PM
A big thanks to Grand_Marlin (Valet Boat Services) for giving me the necessary advice about where and how to modify the placement of my sounder transducer to get it to work.

I had given up on it as a lost cause and was going to go for a shoot through hull style transducer, but after multiple attempts to get the placement tuned in to suit the complexities of my boats hull Peter had the solution that finally made the sounder hold bottom at reasonable speed.

Also a mention for Sean (Vertico) who helped out with a few settings that improved picture clarity even further.

these pics were not with much speed, but now with the changes I can easily identify bait schools and structure at speed. Very, very pleased now that I finally have a sounder that I am happy with, compared to before when I couldn't tell bugger all on it.

cheers

Mick

Grand_Marlin
12-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Nice Mick, and thanks.

Good to see it is all coming together.

Cheers

Pete

Midnight
16-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Good onya Pete.

I will have to get you to cast your eye over the set up on my Berty to work your magic. I am planning on changing it to a bronze through hull txducer though.

Come on Mick, give us the short story on what Pete did to improve your sounder set up. (or make it a long story if you like)

Cheers,
Myles

dreemon
16-03-2010, 08:11 PM
fine tuning tricks and tipps would be GREAT !

NEWBY
17-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Good onya Pete.

I will have to get you to cast your eye over the set up on my Berty to work your magic. I am planning on changing it to a bronze through hull txducer though.

Come on Mick, give us the short story on what Pete did to improve your sounder set up. (or make it a long story if you like)

Cheers,
Myles
Myles, if you get a 1kw bronzie and Pete gets it workin, I will fly him up to Gladstone to get mine workin too.
Heres hopin....

Grand_Marlin
17-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Myles, if you get a 1kw bronzie and Pete gets it workin, I will fly him up to Gladstone to get mine workin too.
Heres hopin....

Does anyone have sounder issues in the Mediteranean and want to fly me over to sort it out?? ;D ;D

Myles, give Newby some cash for his unit ... should be cheap enough by now :P and I will set it up properly in your boat 8-)

NEWBY
18-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Does anyone have sounder issues in the Mediteranean and want to fly me over to sort it out?? ;D ;D

Myles, give Newby some cash for his unit ... should be cheap enough by now :P and I will set it up properly in your boat 8-)

Cheeky Bugger...
And I was just about to invite you over to Vanuatu in 5 years to set up my 2 charter boats.
tut tut tut Pete.

Midnight
18-03-2010, 11:23 PM
hahaha Will do Newby.

Im really happy with my Furuno at trolling speed and drift fishing etc.
My only gripes come from the transom mount picking up too much noise from the diesel and stern drive, and I suspect a bit of turbulent water flow, when on 50khz.

It is fine for up to 300m on 200khz, and I really only look at the top 100-200m when trolling anyway normally.
Also I would like a clearer picture, i.e less noise on the screen when cruising.

Pete, Could be an idea once Newby gets desperately disappointed in his sounder set up as I wouldn't mind a second sounder for the bridge;D
Good luck with the Med trip! ( i would settle for a trip to anywhere with some Blue Marlin and no wind! Maybe a trip to Panama is in order! Or even over to W.A for Gamex. It looked nice over there yesterday afternoon as I went past on the way to Perth from Bali)

Cheers,
Myles

siegfried
21-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Myles, you got a1kw transom fulla? my boat has same engine /drive as yours inhull wet box him mate youll be set, transom mt was $%thouse especially @50khz.

Midnight
23-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Nah mate, its only a 600w jobby as I only have the FCV620. I am gonna change it to a bronze thru hull when I get around to it. Probably just do it this winter when I do the rewire.

I noticed on the Haines thread you had the Volvo set up. That would be very cool in a Formy. She would ride nice with all that weight down low.
Cheers,
Myles

siegfried
23-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Goes good mate, almost enjoy fuelling it up

Midnight
23-03-2010, 06:39 PM
hahaha yeah I like it at the tournaments when I'm at the bowser and people say "is that all it burnt?"

I have averaged around 14L/hr start up to shut down over the last 400 hours.
It varies from down as low as 12.8L/hr on the big trolling days up to around 19L/hr on the point and shoot bottom bashin days.

Catch ya round,
Myles

Captain Seaweed
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Only 1 bloke I would have work on my boat again. A well deserved thread Pete, well done mate.