PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone looked at the 4 day weather chart??

finding_time
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Could be some interesting days ahead;) most of ( definately not all) QLD's dams are full or near full and the 4 day chart shows what maybe be a cyclone developing!!!:o http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDG00074.shtml

Ian

Marlin_Mike
12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
It was depressing enough looking at it and realising no fishing AGAIN this weekend

Mike

charleville
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
It was depressing enough looking at it and realising no fishing AGAIN this weekend

Ah - the joys of retirement. Go fishing when you want to. :D

Especially mid week when the seas are calm and the ramps are empty. ;D

Marlin_Mike
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM

You been told today Charlie???????:P ;D :P ;) :P

Mike

Pazz01
12-03-2010, 02:55 PM

One of those ey, instead of RDO (rostered day off) you have an EDO (every day off).

Pazz

Scott nthQld
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
A cyclone out there could turn out interesting....that's where larry formed in 2006...or was that '05, never mind, same place though

Maccawx
12-03-2010, 03:00 PM
There has been a bit of talk about this developing TC in a few of the weather forums that I'm on. There is a reasonable chance Vania (the name to be) will become quite strong. Whilst it is a LONG way out in weather model terms, two of the models are forecasting initial westward movement followed by south westward movement towards the QLD coast (if this happens, its not likely to have much of an impact until later next week). Definitely one to watch.

Macca

tunaticer
12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I dun care, the yak will be in the briney at 4am tmora regardless. Been 4 weeks since a line has been wet, any longer and I am sure I will die.

Scalem
12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I dun care, the yak will be in the briney at 4am tmora regardless. Been 4 weeks since a line has been wet, any longer and I am sure I will die.

I hear ya, there is only so much preparation one can do for when the weather finally turns good. I bought the new braked hub, greased and packed the bearings, so that's the spare all ready for longer trips away from home. These days it's getting rediculously back to front, I have to wash the boat BEFORE i take it out, and wash the dust off the windscreen just so I can see where I am going! Trips are few and far between. Anyone want to buy a 12 month old Yalta???Low hours!!::)::) ( kidding of course)

Scalem

PinHead
12-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I am going fishing tomorrow and Sunday..bugger the weather..don't care.

sandbankmagnet
12-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Ditto. Trekking into the passage and camping overnight at Mission this weekend. I'm sure the wind won't spoil the beer. It will probably change where I crab, but that might not be a bad thing.

Damned67
12-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I need to go fishing, and SOON..... I tend to buy new gear when I can't fish.
Since the last decent weekend weather, and fishing trip, I've bought a new baitcaster rod, a new overhead combo, and spend about $100 on SPs and lures... This is getting expensive!

mowerman
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I need to go fishing, and SOON..... I tend to buy new gear when I can't fish.
Since the last decent weekend weather, and fishing trip, I've bought a new baitcaster rod, a new overhead combo, and spend about $100 on SPs and lures... This is getting expensive!

I do the same when its raining.

Cant work so I spend money.

Bought a new car for the missus last week. And me sometimes.;D

Rod

John_R
12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Yep looks like a cyclone. And could be here by next weekend. That's odd, because I don't have any plans to go camping....

finding_time
12-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Yep looks like a cyclone. And could be here by next weekend. That's odd, because I don't have any plans to go camping....

But it is getting close to Easter !! The weather is alway shitty at Easter!

John_R
12-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Ian,

Must be because I got rid of that Quintrex and got a Noble (Garden ornament).

charleville
12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
You been told today Charlie???????:P ;D :P ;) :P

Mike

Heheheh! ;D ;D ;D

Bill_V
13-03-2010, 12:17 AM

Hi Charleville,

I am with you mate, I don't know why anyone would want to fish on a weekend. HaHa

Although I am not retired or even close to retiring.

Cheers,

Bill

GES
13-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Aaaah, no waiting to use the boat ramp, no one racing their boat through the school of macs you just started working, exclusive use of beautiful mid-week weather, the thought that all the young blokes are having to work while you are lazing around fishing.
It's a bugger getting old aint it Charlie.

GES

MyEscape
13-03-2010, 06:07 AM
I think a coyclone might be interesting now. Particularly should a rain depression cause significnat rain in your south east qld area. Now that your dam are full, and don't forget wasn't Wivehoe dam actually built for flood mitigation? Wouldn't mitigate too much when it's full.

Steve

PinHead
13-03-2010, 06:49 AM
I think a coyclone might be interesting now. Particularly should a rain depression cause significnat rain in your south east qld area. Now that your dam are full, and don't forget wasn't Wivehoe dam actually built for flood mitigation? Wouldn't mitigate too much when it's full.

Steve

Steve, this is where a lot people get confused. Wivenhoe was built for water storage and water mitigaiton.
A little history. Prior to 1974 floods there was Somerset which is on the Stanley River. There was no dam on the Brisbane River. Cyclone Wanda (I think that was what it was called) came down and dumped some huge rainfalls. Mixed with king tides therefore the floods. Wivenhoe was then built on the Brisbane river for water supply and floodwater retention. Wivenhoe is approx. 4 times the size of Somerset. During the water restrictions they were doing a marvellous con job with citing percentages. Everyone was concerned when Somerset was full and Wivenhoe was at 25%..yet that equates to the equivalent of 2 Somerset dams chockas..plenty of water as the population is only just over double what it was in '74.

Anyway...when they cite figures of Wivenhoe being full that is for the "drinking water" storage. It can hold the same amount again on top of that for flood retention waters. When the tide in the river is on the way out they can open the gates and let some out. That was the idea of building it to try and avert another 1974 disaster.
For those that were not here then it is amazing to picture where the water was up to. Thanks to Wivenhoe hopefully it won't happen again.

finding_time
13-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Greg's spot on Wivenhoe is considered full at 1,165 000 ml but can actually hold around 2,000 000 ml so there is plenty there, but vas usually it not as simple as all that. Could we get 835 000ml in one rain depression, Yep!! Winenhoe has a huge catchment but there are other thinks to consider like how deep is the brisbane river atm, they have stopped the river sand being taken so it's will be getting shallower every day, this could be a decission that comes back to bite in the future.

My initial post was more aimed at the dams further north like Awoonga, mondurran, etc that are getting close to full and how a cyclone atm would effect them with regards to down stream towns and fish losses, i think brisbane is safe atm.

ian