PDA

View Full Version : My Little Rant

Blythy
11-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey Guys,
Took my 4 year old son fishing this arvo, as I do every Thursday, and there were a few wind surfers around, so I found a spot out of the way to flick a couple of baits. About 10 min latter a one of these guys comes barrelling past and catches my line on the skeg, no biggie, line came loose after peeling about 50m off the spool (it was a good fight while it lasted). But then a couple of guys decide to come back in and instead of going straight in to the ramp they start walking towards where we’re fishing. I politely let them know that I was fishing there and that there were hooks out, they said thanks for the warning but continued to walk straight at our lines, now I could have pulled both of our lines in but the mongrel in me said stuff ‘em if they get a hook in their leg I won’t cut the line for them, and sure enough they get the line around their legs and I patiently wait for them to get free while they’re having a go at me for having my lines out. By this stage I’m ready to start throwing bricks, but decide to set a better example to my son so I let it slide, they scared the fish off so we called it a day and went home.
Am I just getting old and grumpy, or are these guys out of line? It put a small tarnish on what was a very enjoyable afternoon.
Thanks guys, just venting.
Oh yeah, got a couple of nice bream, mosses perch, and a sandie anyway.

fez
11-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Blythy,

Unfortuantly it is indicitative of society today, worry about yourself and no one else. What's more why take responsibility for your own actions I am sure we can find someone else to blame. Sad isn't it?

For the record you did the right thing with your little fella around. Your son will remember these good times more than these clowns, don't let them spoil your time with him.

fez

Scalem
11-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately I don't have an answer except that I try harder to find somewhere away from everyone else. That's why I have a boat so I can move away, and a 4WD to do the same on land. Good on you for setting a good example to your Son though, hopefully you can still enjoy an occasional fish without others stuffing it up for you.

Scalem

robvee
11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
yeah, I have the same problem on the Gold Coast.
I fish away from the known surf breaks, and yet there are always some LOSER-SURFERS who cannot handle the recognized breaks, and then try to come and surf where I have been fishing for hours already !!
If there was a perfect wave, then I may consider that I am the one who should move .... but when there is a heap of white water that nobody can surf on amyway then what's the point of them just bobbong up and down in my cast zone ?? One day 1 of them will get hooked .... and who will be to blame? Of course it will get pinned on the lone fisherman.
NOT HAPPY !!

sparkyice
12-03-2010, 01:22 AM
blythy,
yes, you are old and grumpy. so am i.
those darn surfers/jetskiers/speedboaters are like women-
ya cant live with 'em, and ya can't shoot 'em.

>:(

Janelle
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
We were on Wellington Point jetty a couple of Fridays again teaching 130 school kids how to fish. The weather was shocking so the windsurfers were out in force. We had 30 kids with lines in the water and a windsurfer cut across the end of the jetty about 2metres away from the kids who were sitting on the bottom platform. He thought it was funny. There was another guy on the jetty with us and the windsurfer got hooked on his line and just kept going. He took a fair amount of line before he busted off.

It was really poor form from the windsurfer and a really bad example to the kids. At least most of the kids acknowledged that sort of thing is unnessecary and stupid.

Janelle

Grimnir
12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
A mate and I had the same issue on Wed. Fishing of the SPIT Jetty, surfers coming in 2ish M away from the lines which were just out from the jetty itself. Ended up having one moron cut right in and take out 4 lines, messed himself up quite a bit too from the blood we could see over him.

Razgo-
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
yep, sheer ignorance of some people who only care about themselves and don't give 2 hoots about anyone else around them. It's simply getting worse & worse from what i have experienced & seen.

HeadBanger
13-03-2010, 09:12 AM
It's always the same story, whether it's jet skis, surfers, wind surfers or the people who can't manage to read the 6 knot signs.

Unfortunately, it's something we're all going to have to live with. I always let people know where my line is if they're walking past or swimming in the area. Most of the time I'll change spots if people start swimming in the area anyway. A few fish isn't worth a confrontation.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Mrs Ronnie H
13-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Have to agree-- people are becoming more ignorant and ill-mannered if that is the word.

would like a dollar for each time we have been annoyed by a jetski or just someone who can't slow down when they pass you and nearly throw you out of the boat.
Maybe not quite as bad as the ignorant people who think Boat Ramps are for fishing off and won't wind their lines in or get out of the way when you are trying to land your boat on the small piece of beach there is or won't get their kids out of the way for you either.

Ronnie

SgBFish
13-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I agree with everything that has been said they knew what they were doing was wrong. But sometimes you don’t know you are wrong!

But we are so heavily regulated now on the water that I don’t sometimes that I am doing the wrong thing. Especially of you are going somewhere you haven’t been before.

You need to check the commonwealth and state fishing maps for the green zones and go slow areas, the bag limits are all different now and change all time.
It’s hard to keep up.

Razgo-
14-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Have to agree about boat ramps. I used to fish the old QPS ramp vic point all the time but to one side and always got out of the way of boats. Boats take priority at a boat ramp, simple.

I never understood why people fish on the vic point nth pontoon ramp when lots of boats coming and going.

Mrs Ronnie H
14-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Have to agree about boat ramps. I used to fish the old QPS ramp vic point all the time but to one side and always got out of the way of boats. Boats take priority at a boat ramp, simple.

I never understood why people fish on the vic point nth pontoon ramp when lots of boats coming and going.

Answer is simple-- Because they can.
I think council etc should start to police this and issue fines or at least have warning signs up to make people aware of +how dangerous it can be for boaties and fishos and kids using a boat ramp for fishing or swimming. Jmo.

Ronnie

Damned67
14-03-2010, 06:51 PM
My son and I were up at Kauri creek a while back, and I was tossing lures up into a small drain. There was a crab pot there. I managed to hook the crab pot and lost my lure (wasn't going to touch someone else's pot, even to retrieve my lure).
Anyway, about 10 min later, someone came to check the pot. I warned him that I lost a lure on it, and to be careful pulling it up to check it, as I didn't want to be responsible for him getting some treble hooks in his hand. He looked at me like I was a loser, pulled the pot in, found it empty.... The Tool Bag then started going off at me, wanting his crabs back! And started to get agro.....
If I 'share farmed' his pot, why would I still be there?
You just can't win, even when you're trying to be considerate of others!

trymyluck
14-03-2010, 07:44 PM
My son and I were up at Kauri creek a while back, and I was tossing lures up into a small drain. There was a crab pot there. I managed to hook the crab pot and lost my lure (wasn't going to touch someone else's pot, even to retrieve my lure).
Anyway, about 10 min later, someone came to check the pot. I warned him that I lost a lure on it, and to be careful pulling it up to check it, as I didn't want to be responsible for him getting some treble hooks in his hand. He looked at me like I was a loser, pulled the pot in, found it empty.... The Tool Bag then started going off at me, wanting his crabs back! And started to get agro.....
If I 'share farmed' his pot, why would I still be there?
You just can't win, even when you're trying to be considerate of others!

Funny that, probably the same weekend I had a bloke come up and pull one of his pots up. No crabs and as i was drifting along fishing near his pot he started muttering about share farmers and the likes. I just smiled at him and asked him how his day was. I didn't get an answer.

Geoff-
15-03-2010, 05:43 PM
it actually makes me happier when I bump into these sort of people - to know that there are miserable pricks around and I'm not one of them. Imagine being a grumpy f***er every minute of every day. That would be shithouse!! :)

Damned67
15-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Funny that, probably the same weekend I had a bloke come up and pull one of his pots up. No crabs and as i was drifting along fishing near his pot he started muttering about share farmers and the likes. I just smiled at him and asked him how his day was. I didn't get an answer.

It was the weekend those losers left all their rubbish behind that I ended up taking home, so probably was the same weekend, and the same whiny bloke.
Of course, he wouldn't want to consider that he might have had his pots in the wrong spots at the wrong time to catch any crabs, much easier to blame share farmers!

onerabbit
22-03-2010, 06:00 PM
A mate and I had the same issue on Wed. Fishing of the SPIT Jetty, surfers coming in 2ish M away from the lines which were just out from the jetty itself. Ended up having one moron cut right in and take out 4 lines, messed himself up quite a bit too from the blood we could see over him.

hehehe, might be time to start using braid:D :D :D

Muzz