PDA

View Full Version : which tag pole to get?

trueblue
11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
What tag pole should I get?

I see two conflicting trains of thought with tagging.........

first is to leader the billfish alongside the boat and quieten it down before tagging it to make sure of tagging in the right spot

the other way I see people tagging off longer poles before the fish is boatside

how long a tag pole should I get, and what brand etc?

cheers

Mick

PS I've also heard that there are different types of tags that suit different tag poles?

sleepygreg
12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
its not the different types of tags to suit the poles....its different types of tags to suit the fish you are tagging. There are specific tags for Billfish, Sharks, Large pelagics, small pelagics...and then you have your estuary/freshwater tags. Each of these tags require a specific applicator (needle). Many of the commercial tag poles available have interchangeable applicators to suit the different tags. As for the tag pole length, I have always had a long tag pole, and a short tag pole on the boat, plus what I call a hand tagger....which is about 30cm and usually has a small tag needle in it for tagging smaller fish that you will actually bring into the boat. In competition/tournament fishing....the points are counted once the tag is in the fish...the quicker that happens the better. Then its just a matter of getting the fish in a position to be able to release it with minimum harm.

We should hear many more opinions on this one, as there are many competent and experienced fishos on this site who have been doing this for many years. I could rave on for pages on this one, but I will allow others more active than I, to build the story in installments.

Greg

finding_time
12-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Yep heaps of differant opinions, i personally like a longer tag pole, i'm used to it when i fish on a larger boat they all run the longest poles so i'm used to them , all good but long poles can be a pain in trailer boats and take abit of getting used to, there hard to store and maneuver from side to side around the other anglers so a few of my mates just run 7 footers. This can also be annoying when fish is just out of reach and you know that if you had a longer pole it would be all over. There are good and bad issues with both.

ian

Ps Jeffo has a new Reelax tag pole for sale , there nice to use!

Midnight
12-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Mick,
I have a 12ft tag pole, so that even with the long heavy tackle lure leaders we can still tag off the rod tip, and for the little Blacks you can get to them a bit quicker, and in my mind not have the crazy little b@stards quite so close to the boat when ya stick em with the tag!hahaha

Mine is an aluminium telescopic one, made by "Hook 'em". It is the same as the Black Pete one only silver anodised not black. It collapses down to around 7 feet and has the 3 different applicators stored in the butt.
In hindsight, I would just get a 12ft Reelax one for my boat, as we have never used it not at its full length. It is handy to transport it around, in the car etc and also to store away on the boat though when it is collapsed down.

If ya can get Jeffo's pole for a bargain, it would be the go I reckon;D

Cheers,
Myles

Edit: Jeffo's tag pole has been sold already

finga
12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Stuart here makes them.
Drop him a line.

finding_time
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Stuart's are very nice! Not sure the price is so nice, but quality does cost!

ian

jeffo
13-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Mick- unless you are going to get super competative and serious i would stick to a smaller pole. Basically the longer the pole the harder ( i reckon) they are to tag accurately. I have used all sorts and lengths of poles. For my boat I have an 8 footer that Stuie (precision rods) and I put together years ago. Im pretty sure it was destined to be an 8 foot top shot pole til i got hold of it. It is long enough for me to still stand at the wheel of my haines and tag the fish when he is about 4 foot off the side of the boat.

The longer poles will see you trying to tag the fish when he is further from the boat and until you have had a fair bit of practice this can be detrimental to the fish via wayward tag placements. Tagging the fish when he is 10 feet underwater is a whole new ball game,and any one who tells you they can accurately tag a fish deep are telling you lies.

Can you tell I am against fish having to be tagged for points to count? I almost never take a tag shot now unless the fish is right on the surface. The sinking feeling you felt the other day with that fish also comes with a tag shot to the head or guts of a fish!

I wish GFAA would take a leaf out of americas book and allow us to claim points when a fish is leadered. That way all tag shots could be taken with a 3 foot long pole and the fish would be much better off.

Roota got a re capture 2 weeks ago....the original tag placement i am told was right next to the fishes eye. Obviously it survived but surely not ideal?

Getout
13-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey Jeff, there is some merit for the argument there on the points for leadering. I also am forming the opinion that 8kg line is too light for billfishing.

Thunderbird
13-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah 8kg is to light this season. It isn't great recapturing a fish and seeing a fish with a tag in it's eye socket. That's where tournament fishing has made a mess of things. and yes jeffo we have the gfaa to thank for such long poles to pin fish with.
I believe you when you say that you take care when taging a fish. i know my brother caught one of your fish.

The other thing to consider is the type of pole. after the double we got the other day, things nearly turned rather pear shaped for the fish and angler when he got wedged between the fish and the chair with the pole in his abdominal area. lucky the reelax pole bent nearly back on itself and didn't go through ben or the fish.If i had of used the other pole on the boat which was ally the fish would of been skewered and maybee the person fighting it. Just another thing to consider.

business class
17-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey Jeff, there is some merit for the argument there on the points for leadering. I also am forming the opinion that 8kg line is too light for billfishing.

Why do you think 8kg too Light for Chasing little Blacks? as most of the fish we normally get are small fish 10kg to say 35kg.... This year is an exception as alot are around the 35kg to 60kg and some are around the 80 to 100kg (but rare). I understand if all fish are around the 60kg and up, but we rarely get this.....

Go see george from relax we use his poles and there awesome, very light and very easy to use....... havent taken out no eyes so far LOL.....

P.S Smithy i got a call from fisheries, you got a re-capture from one of our fish from the light tackle in Jan...... we called in 20kg then and u called it 25kg;D ..... at least where close with the weight as she prob would have put on 5kg eating all that bait use have..... We actually had 2 re-captures from 2 consecutive tagged fish from that tournament on the friday, i think someone from ur club got the other too? its a new boat something Bone????? very interesting to see that we tagged them in Jan off the pin and they were re captured 22 days later and 30 days later up there?????? both sensational tags shots and very healthy fish no Doubt;D

Cheers
Matty