PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance x107 sounder problems

bugman
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Gents,

The boat we're about to purchase for the rellies has a Lowrance colour sounder fitted - the x107 model. It's currently not working.

The current owner says he's had issues with it in the past where it would power-up by itself overnight and he has also mentioned the common moisture issue which plague's lowrance sounders (I have a lowrance 757 and know where he is coming from).

Anyway to save the power up by itself issue he's removed the fuse. When we went for a look last weekend he put the fuse back in but she now won't power up at all. He's had a further look this week and still no go.

So anyone had one of these units (apparantly they were known for quite a few faults), anyone rectified this problem before?

I'm thinking pull it out and start again but I thought I'd check as there may be a simple solution.

Also does anyone have the contact for Navico/Lowrance so I can run the issues past a tech from there end?

Thanks in advance

Brett

honda900
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Brett,

I had an x107cdf, never had an issue with it at all. I remove my sounder from the boat when I am finished and return it to the boat the morning I go fishing so it never saw a cold dewy night and for that matter I have a half cab so it was fully covered all the time anyway.

as for your power issue there have been a few posts of other models doing the same thing, this is the first one for a x107 though.

Have you tried the online support database? has a few tips that you might want to try first, if you already havent.

http://www.lowrance.com.au/apac/Support/Product-Support/Troubleshooting-Guide/Power-OnOff/

you can also get the sydney office details from the lowrance website.

Regards
HOnda.

krazyfisher
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
yep I had a 107df and did the same thing. it was fixed under warrenty but it is a bad power button.

Moonlighter
11-03-2010, 06:00 PM
many of us have had the "sticking" power button problem which requires the unit to go back to Lowrance for repair.

But it seems that now it's not turning on at all I I have read your post correctly.

The first thing I would check is that the unit is getting good power. They are notorious for playing up when they are not getting good 12+ volts from the power cable. Do all sorts of weird things, including refusing to turn on.

Cheers

ML

bugman
12-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Gents,
Thanks for the replys.
Honda - this model is flush mounted in the dashboard so it's probably had moisture issues for a while.
ML - We'll check the power when we head up next weekend. I haven't had a chance to have a good look at it and am just going by what he's telling me.
For you guys that have had to send back your units - were they all under warranty. I'm just wondering on whether they'll still do a repair outside of the warranty period and what they're likely to charge.
I guess I can only ring and get a guestimate. It just goes towards the decision about whether to pull it out and start again.
Brett

robb0
21-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi Brett, If the warranty period on that sounder is up they (lowrance) will not repair it. My 107cdf has been plagued with this problem for a while as above posts have stated its moisture in the touch pad. Last week I took it out to the local dealer he rang Lowrance while I was there and the reply from Lowrance was "tell him to buy a new unit" now to say that I'm dirty is an understatement. If it was a cheappy no name unit you'd wear it, but $1200 unit from one of the heavy weights has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Tim

ronnien
21-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Brett, If the warranty period on that sounder is up they (lowrance) will not repair it. My 107cdf has been plagued with this problem for a while as above posts have stated its moisture in the touch pad. Last week I took it out to the local dealer he rang Lowrance while I was there and the reply from Lowrance was "tell him to buy a new unit" now to say that I'm dirty is an understatement. If it was a cheappy no name unit you'd wear it, but $1200 unit from one of the heavy weights has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Tim

same here mate, dont think i'll go back to lowrance.

ron.

bugman
22-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Just an update on this.

We purchased the boat and have since got the sounder to come on.

The power button has a mind of its own. It doesn't repond to any touch trying to tun it on or off.

If you leave it long enough it will come on by itself. It then seems to be constantly trying to turn itself on and off. It's almost like the power button is stuck on and the beep is constant.

The only way to turn it off is to remove the fuse.

So... I rang Lowrance and spoke to kevin? He says (in a friendly manner) if its older than 4 years they wont repair it and even if its younger than four years it could cost me as much as a new HDS unit. His recommendation - buy a new unit.

I've had a couple of Lowrance units and have had a couple of issues in the past. I'm not sure I want to buy a new one now.

Brett