PDA

View Full Version : usual question how much can my boat handle?

mattij2005
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi all, sorry for the ever repeated question... i have an old pongrass fleet v-156 which in pretty good nick for it's age.. currently runnin a pretty good merc 70 blue band... haven't had a problem with the motor yet... touch wood, just wonderin how far you can usually push these boats... i'm from melbourne and regularly fish port phillip bay... but it can get up to two to three mteres out there sometimes and just wonder if my boat will be okay out there. I'm not on eof those idiots that go crashin through waves quite the opposite really, if it gets above half a meter i'm usually down to about ten knots and always on the look out for rogues and the like.

Angla
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Just like most of us I reckon. Pick your days and don't overextend your abilities if comes on a bit strong. Slow and steady will normally get you home. It's amazing how the weather guru's get it wrong so many times.
Up here in Brisbane I like to have a alternative route to safe harbour and then bring the vehicle to the boat if needed. Luckily it has never come to that yet, touch wood. Keep your nose into the waves and be tactful in the route. I have had to change direction several times (tacking like a yachtie I suppose) to get back to land on a couple of occasions and I prefer to stay clear of the foul weather but sometimes I will just go for the sake of it.

Cheers
Chris

mattij2005
11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks Chris i really hadn't thought i tacking like you were explaining... good idea that especially where i am and the marks i need to get to... i usually have to go across the waves hence the reason i don't go out when it's gets above about half a meter.

thanks

matt

Noelm
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM
this comes up all the time, the size of the boat is only a small part of the whole equation, if you know what you are doing, still have power and plenty of fuel, most boats will go through almost anything, it is no race to get home first, take your time and have patience.

Jarrah Jack
11-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I would say stick to what you have been doing. Always get a weather report and check the bay winds page and get the wind at south channel fort and the beacon before you leave if it looks iffy. Anything much over 15 go another day. Not saying that your boat can't handle it but its just no fun any more.

mattij2005
11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, just another quick one, the basics of safe boatin in the rough is pretty much put the bow into the wave and don't power up a wave yeah, and what happens if you do loose power is it better to anchor off the bow or drift if you're not near rocks obviously.

Daisy Burnett
11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, just another quick one, the basics of safe boatin in the rough is pretty much put the bow into the wave and don't power up a wave yeah, and what happens if you do loose power is it better to anchor off the bow or drift if you're not near rocks obviously.

To drift or anchor is a question that depends on depth of water for one and conditions for another. If you would like to use the current to push to along you may want to think about a drouge/sea anchor. It will slow you down but keep your bow into the weather. As for anchoring, I think the guy who put me through my licence test put it best. When the motor gives in and you are drifting out of control you are broken down. When you put out an effective anchor you are just a boat at anchor. As for your initial question on anchoring in rough weather keep the bow into the weather or sink. Simple rule. If it gets rough in Port Phillip just lower your speed to suit conditions and make for safe water if available. The biggest problem on the bay is sheltered launching and retrieval. If you put in somewhere sheltered and weather kicks up you can always run for the smooth waters of the place you launched and still recover your boat safely.

Cheers
Daisy

mattij2005
12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
thanks daisy much appreciated info there.... will always be very cautious everytime i go out anyway just wanted a couple extra pointers for a bit of confience i suppose.

Daisy Burnett
12-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Matti
Caution and practise will keep you safe.

Daisy;)