PDA

View Full Version : Coloured sinkers

nat dog
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Do any of you guys use coloured sinkers for reef fishing NQ or swains .

Cheers Nat

nidrac
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Nah mate i haven't heard of anyone using them up here or see the need too unless you were using jig heads or something.. most people fish with the paternoster rig so the sinkers are well away from the bait... although that being said open to everything if it has helped other people..

Nidrac

dayoo
09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Nat,

Coloured sinkers are usually only effective when attached close to the hooks as in a snood rig. When fishing in depths greater than 15 metres the sinkers need to be super glow (glows at depths when charged with a light source) as per the attached pic.

Cheers
Barry

whiteman
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Coral trout pros don't use them and they fish with a bead to the hook.

dayoo
09-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Coral trout pros don't use them and they fish with a bead to the hook.

They don't use them because super glow powder is not sold in many tackle stores in Australia and if it is its too expensive. I make my own with powder imported from the States. The super glow treated sinkers will glow very bright in the actual colour for up to 16 hours before needing a light recharge. Glow beads only glow in pale green.

I have thrown away my glow beads as the super glow sinkers work much better.

Cheers
Barry

nat dog
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Whitman is it just the green glow beads that they use?

whiteman
10-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Pros fishos for trout use a normal bead sinker (lead colour) usually to a 9/0 hook (not coloured) on a handline. A very simple, cheap but effective rig for bombie fishing. It's all in the technique.

I've not used coloured sinkers so must remain open minded but if I was going to fish in over 10m it would rule out red ones as this colour is lost around this depth, then orange around 20m, yellow around 30m, etc.

Scott nthQld
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I do use coloured sinker up here, grey sinkers

dayoo
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Pros fishos for trout use a normal bead sinker (lead colour) usually to a 9/0 hook (not coloured) on a handline. A very simple, cheap but effective rig for bombie fishing. It's all in the technique.

I've not used coloured sinkers so must remain open minded but if I was going to fish in over 10m it would rule out red ones as this colour is lost around this depth, then orange around 20m, yellow around 30m, etc.

Normal colour is lost the deeper you drop commencing with the left side of the light spectrum red then orange then yellow then green then blue then violet. Although the colour is lost a various depths the glow remains so that is why super glow or Ultra Violet treated sinkers are the only ones to consider if you want your sinkers to improve your catch rate.

I use mainly white, blue and UV coated sinkers because I regularly fish in over 50 metres.

Cheers
Barry

ozbee
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
sharks love lead colour so no point giving them a easier target