PDA

View Full Version : Kids Fishing Day at Warwick on 28th March

finga
09-03-2010, 07:12 AM
The annual kids fishing day is on again in Warwick on the 28th of March at Connelly Dam.
Usually a great day where the younun' learn about freshwater fishing and enjoy themselves.

Experts (that's me out :P) on hand to teach some of the finer points

Nice quiet location were power boats are not allowed (oars, paddles and electric only) so canoes etc can be used with little to worry about.

If anyone is interested I can get some details.

Cheers then
Scott :)

finga
23-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Bump.....
One member has enquired about the day.
Anymore??????

Ausfish
23-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Would be interested but have to head up to the Coast to pick up some gear. Can you give me some more details though, just in case I can rearrange things. Would be nice to get the Yak out for a spin.

Ozie_3
23-03-2010, 11:06 AM
i was chatting to daughter last night....she lives at Allora

and shes taking her 2 billy lids out....sounds like a great day

prizes and all i believe supplied by the local sports store in Warwick

wouldnt mind having a look at Connelly myself (wonder if ill have my yak by then ?)

thanks for giving a heads-up Scott

finga
23-03-2010, 01:11 PM
i was chatting to daughter last night....she lives at Allora

and shes taking her 2 billy lids out....sounds like a great day

prizes and all i believe supplied by the local sports store in Warwick

wouldnt mind having a look at Connelly myself (wonder if ill have my yak by then ?)

Yep, for more info give Warwick Outdoors and Sports a call.
4661 3533

Don't tell them Scotty sent you because they would not know me from a bar of soap.
But I went to a day when they were out at Lesley and the kiddies had a ball.

shayned
25-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the post.

Ozie_3
25-03-2010, 08:58 PM
might have my yak by the weekend and if so will go out and watch the grandkids scare fish......

so finga, what flavours of fish can i expect in connelly ??
yella, cod and cats(jew) i guess.... what else ???
probably be using soft plastic and hardbodies(casting/trolling)..... will take a bait trap and hopefully pick up few shrimp n craws....

my record to date is 2 not a lot over legal yellas outa leslie....last chrissy and march...(1 each)
and just renewed my permit :) and picked up a combo at kmart 30%off sale :)

were at warwick over easter too...try leslie then again :)

Ozie_3
25-03-2010, 09:10 PM
by the way...
im there from about 8ish sunday morning.... if any other ausfishers are say hi... not sure on the yak yet...maybe camo moken...but my rodeo is ozi-03

finga
27-03-2010, 09:14 AM
might have my yak by the weekend and if so will go out and watch the grandkids scare fish......

so finga, what flavours of fish can i expect in connelly ??
yella, cod and cats(jew) i guess.... what else ???
probably be using soft plastic and hardbodies(casting/trolling)..... will take a bait trap and hopefully pick up few shrimp n craws....

my record to date is 2 not a lot over legal yellas outa leslie....last chrissy and march...(1 each)
and just renewed my permit :) and picked up a combo at kmart 30%off sale :)

were at warwick over easter too...try leslie then again :)
Yep, expect all of the above....
If there's no shrimps etc out at the dam try in town. The creek is underestimated by the locals.
Lures work but the colours needed change and I don't know about the plastics...never tried them.
Oh, a worm works sometimes too and if the grandkids need the need to dig some we MIGHT have one ot two in the garden where the weeds are ;)

It sounds like your keen for the trip. I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Ozie_3
28-03-2010, 08:11 PM
wasn't a bad day Scott,

little hickup at the start with the yak....but a $10 permit sorted that out...

for future refference...
Connolly Dam is an "Electric only" impoundment (outboards must be taken off) meaning only electric or manually powered craft may be used. Only members of the Warwick District Recreational Fish Stocking Association 'WDRFSA' can take craft on the waterway, and only on weekends between sunrise and sunset. WDRFSA memberships are available from the caretaker at the dam currently costing $10. There is no boat ramp but there are many ideal locations around the dam to launch a boat. You must show your WDRFSA card to the caretaker if your taking a craft on the water.

then i scored a doughnut to top it off....but tried out the yak and worked a few things out...lol

kids had a ball.. and there were prizes and giveaways for them...

only saw 1 yellow (nice fat good size) and 1 jew landed but believe there were a few more

im trying there again next weekend... leslie will be over run with ski boats over easter :(

finga
29-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Gidday Chris.
I'm glad you enjoyed the day.
I have not been to one for a few years but it's good to see they're still great for the kids.
Yep, Leslie will not be a good place to be this week-end. People everywhere and ski-boats out on force.
Do you stay up here or travel for the day??

And thanks for reminding me about the membership. I'd forgot all about that.
I'd better go and pay it up before I go out next.