PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Position

FISHAWN
08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
An old mate from sydney just bought a new rig with a HDS5 fitted and apparantly the screen completely fills up with clutter whilst moving at speed.
He said his dealer told him not to have the unit on whilst at speed !!!!
After i stopped laughing i got him to send me the pics of his tranny setup so i could try to see what was up as i had a similar problem when switching from LMS 527 to HDS5.
I'm thinking he needs to move it to the left in between the two ribs, drop it much deeper and angle the back down a little, what do you lot think ?

Also does anybody know why the new HDS5 trannies are much smalller than the old LMS527's?

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7128/img0761q.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/img0761q.jpg/)

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8953/img0764qy.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/img0764qy.jpg/)

dreemon
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep, place it like you said, I would have busted my gut too if someone told me to leave it off while running at speed, cheers

Geoff-
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
yes I find having the sounder completely out of the water helps prevent a rooster tail :devilish:

bluefin59
09-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Yep looks like your onto it ,the bloke that installed this couldnt have got it much more wrong by the looks of it ...matt

lee8sec
09-03-2010, 06:32 AM
I hope who ever fitted the transducer didnt fit the motor or any thing important on the boat.

Like already said, across & down. Leigh

Member101
09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
tell him to check where the transducer cable runs first. If it runs next to power cables you will get more clutter with higher rev's. Thats the problem my mate had on his 5.3m.

Cheers
Steve

Damned67
09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
tell him to check where the transducer cable runs first. If it runs next to power cables you will get more clutter with higher rev's. Thats the problem my mate had on his 5.3m.

Cheers
Steve

Good point about the power cables.... but transducer doesn't even look like it'd be in the water in that pic!

honda900
10-03-2010, 03:30 PM
that transducer you have is a 200khz transducer only,

Yes as others have said, you need to move it, doesnt look straight either..

Regards
Honda.

deckie
10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Shocka...as soon as you're doing 5 knots that thing will be sounding air and bubbles. The fix u described sounds about right...my first reaction is the same and to be much lower, lined up and put between strakes so maybe get him to check the manual.

I'm no expert and might be wrong but i reckon that entire mount has been welded on in a bad spot...surely if welded on slightly to the right or left u could then access two spots between the strakes...rather than just one.
As others have said definitely double check they havent run the transducer cables attached to other cabling. The old rule has been to run trannny cables under the opposite gunwhale to the motors main cabling...at least well away from it.

With that kind of "quality control" i'd definitely be checking how the tranny mount was fixed to that welded bracket. Probably no thought paid to the rapid corrosion that can happen.

You're a good mate to have...dealer should feel at least some responsibility to do a decent job. Looks like an "apprentice on a friday afternoon" job to get it out the door. Based on this u could also tell him to look at every single thing the dealer attached to that boat coz it may need to be redone...with a view to corrosion.

These are expensive units for what they are...dont they come with some sort of speed paddle wheel or temp sensor as well ?

dogsbody
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Here I was thinking this was gonna be about a drunken night out in the valley.

Dave

FISHAWN
12-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Shocka...as soon as you're doing 5 knots that thing will be sounding air and bubbles. The fix u described sounds about right...my first reaction is the same and to be much lower, lined up and put between strakes so maybe get him to check the manual.

I'm no expert and might be wrong but i reckon that entire mount has been welded on in a bad spot...surely if welded on slightly to the right or left u could then access two spots between the strakes...rather than just one.
As others have said definitely double check they havent run the transducer cables attached to other cabling. The old rule has been to run trannny cables under the opposite gunwhale to the motors main cabling...at least well away from it.

With that kind of "quality control" i'd definitely be checking how the tranny mount was fixed to that welded bracket. Probably no thought paid to the rapid corrosion that can happen.

You're a good mate to have...dealer should feel at least some responsibility to do a decent job. Looks like an "apprentice on a friday afternoon" job to get it out the door. Based on this u could also tell him to look at every single thing the dealer attached to that boat coz it may need to be redone...with a view to corrosion.

These are expensive units for what they are...dont they come with some sort of speed paddle wheel or temp sensor as well ?

Temp sensor is in the tranny, paddle wheel does come with unit but not a lot of people seem to fit it, I opted not to fit mine.

The problems he has found amaze me. Exactly as you say its as tho a apprentice did the fitout on a friday arve. Its a Quintrex dealer in sydney.

Dimmorz
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I have HDS5 and had simialr problems.

Go much lower. Lower than they suggest in the manual. In betweeen strakes.

The Lowrance transducer is much smaller than humminbird and rooster tail didnt seem to be that much of a problem. I put a humminbird tranny in the same spot and rooster tail a plenty.