PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 798 SI

snodger 08
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Does anyone else own one of these? I am having some minor issues with it and would like to compare notes on this unit.
Issues:

I am having trouble with the rooster tail the tranny is throwing up directly onto the motor, and I have noticed that I am now getting some moisture inside the cowell which I wasnt with the old tranny
User problem now- I am having trouble reading both the SI and 2D unit.
Cant for the life of me identify a fish on SI
having trouble reading the 2D when trying to identify fish arches. I have fish ID switched on, does this remove the fish arches?
Am also concerned that the Tranny is mounted wrong although it was installed professionally. It is mounted on the right side of the motor, and it looks slightly obstructed by the motor to the left side. If it is obstructed i don't see anywhere else I could mount it.Am sure its just settings and me getting used to the new unit. But any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

MattyDucati
08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Give us a picy of it.
Fish ID on and it will put a picy of a fish where it thinks the fish are. i turn the fish id off and if the sensitivty is right (and theres fish there) you should get the arches you lust for.

Pointyfish
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm guessing the rooster tail your getting may be caused by the tranny being mounted to low.
The bracket where it bolts onto the transom of the boat on those units use slotted holes. It should be easy to back off the screws/bolts, lift the tranny up slightly and retighten the bolts.

I agree with Matty. Turn the fish ID off. With the fish ID off you should be able to see the density of bait balls, individual fish and get an idea of the general ( read very rough ) size of fish due to strength of signal returns.

The side imaging takes abit to get used to! The 5 inch screens on these units are barely adequate for this feature. Mine works great in 12 ft+ of water but in the shallow water the picture on the screen is to fine with any real info being show in a slim strip a couple of mm's either side of the center line. Don't know if you can adjust the range on SI to achieve a better picture or not?

hodges4
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I'd suggest joining the group at sideimaging@yahoogroups.com

There's heaps of info there on installing transducers for different hull designs with photos of installations.

They also have a section on images and how to interperet them, 2D, 3D and downimaging.

I have the 797 model which had a rooster tail problem. Humminbird recognized the problem and produced a 'plug' to block an area of the transducer which was causing the spray. I don't know if your transducer is the same but contact BLA at Hemmant and they'll sent it to you free if required.

John

snodger 08
10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Guys,
I will post a pic tonight of thr tranny mount. Will definately have a look at the SI site.
Steve

pig75
10-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I find this site helpfull www.sideimageforums.com

Toddy_again
10-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Mate I had the spray problem as well.Raising and lowering the transducer did nothing for the problem and neither did the little rubber plug from BLA.In the end I purchased a spray guard from Northside Marine.Proble solved.

snodger 08
10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I have attached the pics of the transom. Its a bit hard to see the tranny as its on the other side of the motor. When the motor is fully down it cuts off about half the tranny. I did think today that I have been using SI around 3-7 kph, so I could tilt the motor up when using it so it is not obstructed, that wouldn't be too much of a problem.
John, I will call BLA tomorrow get the plug and see how it goes. Failing that I will get the spray guard that Toddy suggested.
Am heading off now to check out the SI forums.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Steve

Toddy_again
11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi Guys,
I have attached the pics of the transom. Its a bit hard to see the tranny as its on the other side of the motor. When the motor is fully down it cuts off about half the tranny. I did think today that I have been using SI around 3-7 kph, so I could tilt the motor up when using it so it is not obstructed, that wouldn't be too much of a problem.
John, I will call BLA tomorrow get the plug and see how it goes. Failing that I will get the spray guard that Toddy suggested.
Am heading off now to check out the SI forums.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Steve

If thats the way you go then let me know and I will put a pic up of the spray guard.

Toddy

bluefin59
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Here is a picv of the spray gaurd i bought from northside 2 yrs ago ,it solved my problem it was $20 or so back then...matt8-) 8-)

snodger 08
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks Todd and Matt,
Have been so busy at work I havent had a chance to call BLA. I think I like the look of the spray guard anyhow. Think I will just go with that.
Cheers
Steve

snodger 08
15-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Guys I had some left over white perspex and ended up making one out of that. Am now looking for a good adhesive tape that will stand the rigours of constant bashing of the water. I saw some 3m stuff the yanks recommend and am trying to track some down as I didnt want any more holes in the Transom.
Cheers
Steve