PDA

View Full Version : Reds off Mackay 6/3/2010

Redrocks
07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I've been keen to hit the shipping channel since my last trip at xmas and a break in the weather - and rain - allowed a window of opportunity.

I picked up big brother Russel at the marina and pointed the Sig East after logging on with VMR - (amazed more people don't do this). The water was flat with a slight gentle roll, plenty of small sticks in the water too from the recent rain in the area. I crossed paths with Hoareboy who had run out of esky space and was heading home from the grounds a happy boy.

We decided to try some new area to the north (thanks to Hoareboy) of Tern and after a slow start, we moved to a mark a half mile away and things went well. The West to East drifts (blowing a westrely) produced 4 reds in quick succession and some of Nannygai. The Grassies were monsters, all but one of them around the 50cm mark. I usually catch nothing in a Westerly, and was getting nothing with the paternoster, so switched to the jigs and never looked back. Russel is a jig convert after a big session in the still humidity last night.

The kids helped arrange the fish for some pics and were naming them, good to see them showing an interest early.

Redrocks

jtpython
07-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Mate good on ya. Was a awesome weekend for reds here by the looks. We didn't get any grassy's got one nice spangled. Lost a lot of bigfish too
Congrates mate.
JT

Spot82
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice fish mate, sounds like a great session!

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

wags on the water
07-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Top effort.

Cheers,
Wags

vertico
07-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Awesome mate.....
thanks for the report
Sean

marto78
08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Some nice fish there Redrocks, the reds have got some funny looking patterns on them, one looks like its wearing a mask did it get named Zorro?

cuzzamundi
08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Great session mate. Fantastic results.

Cuzza

Ally Jack
08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Redrocks,

Great feed of fish there well done

Ally Jack

Kev_McC
09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
great result, what are the jigs you've referred to mate?

Redrocks
09-03-2010, 07:36 PM
great result, what are the jigs you've referred to mate?

200g Williamson in yellow from BCF. Hooks top (eye) and middle.

don-one
09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks for sharing Redrocks. great pics and report. are the jigs a daytime thing or day that work well at night? what sort of depths are you using them in?

Redrocks
10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
thanks for sharing Redrocks. great pics and report. are the jigs a daytime thing or day that work well at night? what sort of depths are you using them in?

I use them when things are a bit slow. It seems the movement of the jig catches the eye of whatever is nearby. I use them day or night in 140 - 170ft of water.

Redrocks.

odes20
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
200g Williamson in yellow from BCF. Hooks top (eye) and middle.
Hey an awesome catch!

All great fish to eat as well. Mate the jigs you mentioned. Have you been fishing them a while? How do you compare them with bait fishing on average?
For example do you consistantly catch more on these than bait?
I fish a lot off Cairns for large mouth and Reds in 48 - 60 metres of water and just wondering how they would go there?

John

Redrocks
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey an awesome catch!

All great fish to eat as well. Mate the jigs you mentioned. Have you been fishing them a while? How do you compare them with bait fishing on average?
For example do you consistantly catch more on these than bait?
I fish a lot off Cairns for large mouth and Reds in 48 - 60 metres of water and just wondering how they would go there?

John

Thanks John. I've been fishing with them for a couple of years now, see my photo gallery, the trout and my red were both caught on the same jig. I usually put the top hook through the eye of a pilly or a whole squid on it. The second hook is worth it's weight in gold and I find the jig is a good medium for a second hook.

In this way, I guess they are on even-stevens with bait when the fish are on the chew, but they have the edge on bait when things are quiet imho. The main limitation is when there is a bit of current and they get caught up in the run more.

48 - 60m is similar to the range I use them in, just pick your run.

Redrocks

odes20
11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks John. I've been fishing with them for a couple of years now, see my photo gallery, the trout and my red were both caught on the same jig. I usually put the top hook through the eye of a pilly or a whole squid on it. The second hook is worth it's weight in gold and I find the jig is a good medium for a second hook.

In this way, I guess they are on even-stevens with bait when the fish are on the chew, but they have the edge on bait when things are quiet imho. The main limitation is when there is a bit of current and they get caught up in the run more.

48 - 60m is similar to the range I use them in, just pick your run.

Redrocks

gee thanks redrocks, do you ever bait the second hook as well?

John