PDA

View Full Version : Tsunamis, trouts, spanish and pancake with Newby

Apollo
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
The plan was for Mark (TryMyLuck) to head up to Gladstone to pick up a rod that we left on his boat. Whilst we up, there we might go for a bit of a fish. ;DCan't believe our wives let us get away with that lame story. The fishing was originally suppose to be out to Haberfield shoals, but the forecast suggested that Fitzroy, Sykes and co, might be better. Mini Newby -Justin was to tag along and show us his style. We arrived on Friday and unloaded into the boat, shopped for food and drinks, then headed back to Newbys to discuss the plan over a few. Aim was to head to Pancake ck on Saturday and as the wind/seas abated, head out to the reef on Sunday to Tuesday.

Reasonable run to Pancake and we threw the troll lures out for a bit as we had to keep the speed down anyway due to the wind against tide chop. No luck, so we up lures and headed into pancake. Never been there before, but damn it is a pretty place. No longer after we were anchored up, Justin was line in the water and pulling in skip baits for his dad. The big kids couldn't miss out on the fun, so a combination of lures and baits were dispatched. One size spanish flag was caught on a hardbody that saw dinner sorted for Justin. On a dropping tide there were baitfish getting smashed in the shallows all around the place, but unfortunately we didn't have the zodiak aboard, so it was a case of adjourning to the foredeck and watching over a few drinks whilst a full moon rose. This picture postcard situation was quickly destroyed by a texted photo of a girlie drinker in full drag being sent to Newby. Phil - whatever is wrong with you is no little thing! We also got the reports of the tsunami warning, so that was a bit interesting.

Next day we head off to Fitzroy via a few spots and fishing was a bit slow with only a few parrots, hussar, red troat and hussar aboard. A small electrical issue convinced us to sneak into Fitzroy early. Low tide, sunny, extra pretty! Newbs makes the call for a snorkle on a bommie - damn good call with plenty of fish life. Somewhere during the day apparently a tsunami when through????? We did sneak out again for a quick fish but had to duck back in before dark. More drinks and nibblies on the rear deck to a setting sun by ourselves in Fitzroy- is there anything better?

Next morn I get awaken by Mark calling out to Newbs that the rudder had just scrapped the coral (those words certainly get you up quick)- Wind had swung around along way to the North and the rudder was just touching the bommie. Quick pull forward on the mooring to clear her and then a simple to move to another. Media would write it up as 'ship wrecked on a coral reef', but reality was considerably different.

Headed out to a spot nearby and miscellaneous reefies found their way to the deck, but it was slow. The floater screams off in that wonderful sound and before anyone can react, Justin steps up, grabs hold and hangs on to the first run. He then proceeds to get about the job of subduing this fish like a bloke 2/3/4/5/6/7 times his age. No wire trace was always going to be a tough call but Justin did a top job to land a 14kg Spanish Mac which was about half his weight. Well done young fella. I should say here that anyone who knows Newbs, knows he isn't shy, lacks confidence or is short of something to say. Well Justin is a compressed and amplified version of Newbs. He didn't need any encouragement to talk more (even doesn't stop in his sleep), but this great effort saw the lad is fine verbal form and so he should - damn good job. Dad was pretty happy too!

Weather report indicated a quickly deteriorating situation, so the call was made to headed off to Sykes for quick fish before heading back before dark. We trolled for a bit and Mark and I set THE LURE out the back amoungst a multitude of Newbs trolling lollies. You guest it - THE LURE came good and Mark boats a nice Bonito. On to a good spot at Sykes and I nail a ripper coral trout, then Justin a 54.5cm Red Emperor:-[, then I get bitch slapped by a big red before shutting the bight down. Time running out, we headed back in before stopping at spot X, which has now been demoted to spot Y. In, fueled, unloaded, cleaned up and then back to Newbs for bonito sushimi and beer battered spanish mackeral - yum. We get the call that the clouds are about to explode and dump alot of rain, so we leave early in the morn to make it home before getting flooded in.

Thanks Newbs!

Steve

PS. We did pick up the rod!

fishfreak01
07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Good read, and a great spaniard

fishfreak.

murf
07-03-2010, 06:07 PM
looks like you are settling in for the hard life there Steve hahaha :)

cheers Murf

Apollo
07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
looks like you are settling in for the hard life there Steve hahaha :)

cheers Murf

Murf

We were a bit into the session at that stage and I made the mistake of getting Justin to mix me up a rum. I am sure he only used the mixer to colour it a bit.:o Was a good drink though.

Steve

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the report Steve.

Pancake is special place and I have had many a trip there. The colours of the water is something everyone should experience.

Did someone send you a photoshop pic of me ? ;) :P ;D ;D

Nice work Justin, yep, I did get the pic via phone soon as ya caught it.

Looks like Newbs hasn't improved his RED skills so I may be in for a win in September. Double the bet, wasn't it Newbs ?

Seems like you guys had a ball and doing it tuff ? ;)

Cheers LP>

trymyluck
07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the report Steve.

Pancake is special place and I have had many a trip there. The colours of the water is something everyone should experience.

Nice work Justin, yep, I did get the pic via phone soon as ya caught it.

Looks like Newbs hasn't improved his RED skills so I may be in for a win in September. Double the bet, wasn't it Newbs ?

Cheers LP>

Oh it was tough Phill, but hey someone's gotta do it...........:)8-)

lethal098
07-03-2010, 08:53 PM
top report guys, the reports i was getting were x rated so i like that read a little more. only wish i could have been up there as well, and yeah you right Justin is definately like his old boy, talk and more talk, and every thing he catches he wants to eat. Great little fisherman he is.
cheers Lee

jtpython
07-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Great works Guys and boys or boys and guys.
JT

Apollo
07-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Cheers LP>

You are a worry Phil;D

Was a good trip and a shame it had to be called short thus eating into fishing time.

Re Newbs and the reds - he was off his game due to a sandwich incident:-X

Steve

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2010, 10:51 PM
You are a worry Phil;D

Was a good trip and a shame it had to be called short thus eating into fishing time.

Re Newbs and the reds - he was off his game due to a sandwich incident:-X

Steve

spill the beans................... ?????????

LP>

trymyluck
08-03-2010, 05:24 AM

LP>

:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X

Apollo
08-03-2010, 06:34 AM

LP>

:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X

trymyluck
08-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry Phill

"WHAT HAPPENS ON THE BOAT STAYS ON THE BOAT";D ;D :-X :-X

cuzzamundi
08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Great report and kudos to the young buck.

Cuzza

rob tranter
13-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Phill

I didn't send the Pic:-X and it wasn't Photoshopped:D

Steve, Mark, Newbs, and off spring, sounds and by the Pic I was sent, looked like a great time.

Out Fished hey David? and on your own boat? at least it was by a Family member;D

We had a good but wet time at Deiters, Chong set Deckie alight, burnt all the fire wood from a mile around.
Surfed the toboggin (crook spelling?), behind the Quad, and all was good

Rob T8-)

Apollo
13-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Was good fun, Rob.

Newbs landed a few good fish including a nice trout, red throat and mixed reefies. Spend more time looking after the skipper bit, leaving us to fish!!

Steve

NEWBY
15-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Sorry Phill

"WHAT HAPPENS ON THE BOAT STAYS ON THE BOAT";D ;D :-X :-X

Hmmm..
Well boys thanks for the privacy but they really should know eh?

Basicaly, Newby did a ######## thing.
Steve made sandwiches....Newby put em on dash...Wave made boat rock...Sandwiches hit the deck...Newby hit the roof had a hissy fit....
Steve does the samaritan thing...makes newby new sandwich...Newby puts it in safer place this time...wave comes...newbys 2nd sandwich hits the deck...Newby has a bigger hissy fit...1 plate gets a right cross and the other gets frizbied into the pi$$.
2 plates down....No lunch for newbs...Sore right hand....
Go to walk outside for a cry/sook.....Slip on the deck, put the back and hip out and smashed my toe.
FARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKinhell. ...
There....Thats the story......In short....>:(

Lucky_Phill
15-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Now that wasn't so hard.

That's totally unlike you Newbs to chuck a tanti. :-X

At least it wasn't single barrel hitting the deck :o

Now, the weather looks crap for this weekends CQ M & G too.

LP

Apollo
15-03-2010, 05:46 PM
All good Newbs, but we running out of plates (and dark meat!) Neither Mark or I were going to tell.

Steve

trymyluck
15-03-2010, 06:39 PM
All good Newbs, but we running out of plates (and dark meat!) Neither Mark or I were going to tell.

Steve

I was more worried that he would run out of white bread and then we would have had to feed him some of that stuff with the bird seed in it........:o:o;D

trymyluck
15-03-2010, 06:46 PM
And Newbs, we found out we were cowards because although it was killing us not sticken it to ya, we figured it was too far to swim home......;D;D;D Maybe next time we'll have to tow 2DEEP out with us.......:D;D Just in case8-)

Apollo
15-03-2010, 08:45 PM
because although it was killing us not sticken it to ya,

Being the kind sensitive, caring deckies we are!:angel::angel:

NEWBY
18-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Being the kind sensitive, caring deckies we are!:angel::angel:

You of course mean Caring Understanding Nurturing TypeS? Dont you Steve?
That would really sum you 2 up.
I will admit you 2 are very intelligent however. When "Duromiine Fever" kicks in (Hissy fit) the outcomes can be a bit harsh at times.
So if anyone decides to come fishing with the Newbs in future, see if I am on Duromine or not;D
If I am, prepare for hissy fits....
If I am not, prepare for hissies anyway, just a different type...;)

Apollo
18-03-2010, 06:09 PM
You of course mean Caring Understanding Nurturing TypeS? Dont you Steve?
That would really sum you 2 up.
I will admit you 2 are very intelligent however. When "Duromiine Fever" kicks in (Hissy fit) the outcomes can be a bit harsh at times.
So if anyone decides to come fishing with the Newbs in future, see if I am on Duromine or not;D
If I am, prepare for hissy fits....
If I am not, prepare for hissies anyway, just a different type...;)

Atleast we are useful!

Well, Mark is:-[