PDA

View Full Version : Southwind alloy boats ?

bugman
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Gents,

Anyone had any experience with Southwind Alloy boats. I'm looking at a 4.9m runabout version circa 1999.
I'm finding it hard to get much info on the net about them. Most Southwind searches come up with the fibreglass version.
Am I spelling it wrong?
Anyway - any info good or bad would help.
PS this is for my ongoing search for a relly's boat in Tassie.

Brett

Horse
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I think Yamaha were just rebranding other manufacturers boats. this one looks familiar

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=126903

Cheers

Neil

greyfox
07-03-2010, 07:17 AM
I own a 1997 4.95 metre centre console version with a yamaha 60 hp two stroke and the rig is fine. I bought it second hand and don't know there origin other than mine came from an original owner in Cairns. I'm told the fibreglass manufacturer of Southwind experimented with alloy for a few years in the 90's but I can't confirm this. There is also a plate on the inner upper port side side towards the aft that reads "Manufactured for Southwind by Mayfairs Wholesale Pty. Ltd." They look very similar to the Quintrex boats of that era. As with most pressed alloy c/c's of that era; they are a wet boat in offshore conditions if you want to keep the speed up.;)

bugman
07-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Neil,

Thanks for that - it confirms something that I had heard but was unsure of. I'd been told that they were a "yamaha" boat and that they were a copy of quintrex or built by quintrex.
They seem a straight up pressed alloy structure.
I found that add through search. It looks a good little package. This one is a bit younger with a 4 stroke and a bit cheaper;)

Greyfox,
Thanks for the info. The boat is designed to fish inland lakes of Tassie and do a bit of river and estuary work. These guys wont be pushing it much offshore so in theory they shouldn't get too wet. The boat is currently used in Moreton Bay pretty exclusively and they guy is pretty happy with it's ability in those conditions. He does have big clears on the side however;)

Here's a couple of pics

Jarrah Jack
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Its got a good motor allright. As with all alloy have a good check of the bottom and take the floor out and check the frames etc. It would have had a bit of bashing in the bay.

Smithy
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
If they are Mayfairs that would mean Clark/Mantacraft etc. which were in the Clark stable with Redco/Tinka etc. Think they'll be ok. Never hear anything bad about them.