PDA

View Full Version : Which is the right outboard for me?

davez104
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I know this question gets thrown around repeatedly, but there are many way more knowledgeable people on here than me, so I'll ask away.

I'm looking at repowering my Haines V17L in the next 6 months or so. It currently has a 1990 135HP V6 Merc on it. It runs fine, but is not charging the battery properly, so needs some repairs. I like to go fishing on my own from time to time, so want an outboard that I trust, something that I am losing with this motor.

Anyway, I reckon a 115HP will be about perfect for this boat. I want good fuel economy as the number one priority to give me as much range as possible on the fuel I carry (130L approx), currently 50NM round trip is about as far as I can push it while keeping fuel in reserve.

My choices are 115 Optimax, 115 Merc 4 stroke, 115 Yammie 4 stroke, or 115 Suzuki 4 stroke. I'm not totally sold on the Etecs so will give them a miss, the Honda is a fair bit heavier than the rest of the field so that's a no on them as well.

I realise that the 4 motors I have listed would all be good, as most outboards are these days, but which is likely to give me the best economy while not being rediculously expensive to service? I'm sort of attracted to the optimax for the lower servicing requirements, but would it match the 4 strokes for economy?

Finally, roughly what sort of fuel economy do you think I could get out of one these engines? I imagine any of them will be streets ahead of the old black max??

Cheers,
Dave.

Marlin_Mike
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
the right one is the one that starts when you turn the key and doesnt stop till you turn the key the other way :):):)

Mike

davez104
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Hopefully I can get me one of them then ;D

As far as I can work out, they all seem to be pretty reliable these days, it's more the fuel economy that I'm chasing.

funkngroovy
05-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I know the Suzuki's have awesome fuel economy. not sure about the others.

TimiBoy
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I'd be willing to bet they're all pretty close together on economy, both for fuel and servicing.

IMO the most important aspect you need to consider is who will be doing the servicing. Pick the best local agent, and pick their engine. If it's they sell both, talk to them about 2v4 stroke.

Cheers,

Tim

Crocodile
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Hello davez104 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=37558) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1138146", true);

Try these sites for accurate fuel figures.
Oz
http://www.seamedia.com.au/pub/index.php
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/power-reports
USA
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/perfbull.aspx
http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/
Remember a US gallon is 3.88 litre.
An Oz gallon is 4.55 litre.

I would expect very little difference in fuel usage between the motors.

IMHO I would be buying the lightest motor from the preferred dealer.
The V17 is a narrow hull and may not carry a heavy motor easily.

krazyfisher
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I had a tohatsu TLDI 115 on a 5.4m and I was getting 1.8 km per l which would give you around 200-250 km range.

I found it to be a great motor.

robothefisho
05-03-2010, 03:37 PM
All good motors. Personally think the opti would be the pick for economy and best suited to the hull. Have driven the opti yamaha and suzuki and all go well. I think the yamaha is a lot more expensive though? The optis have that free horsepower upgrade running at the moment so a 115 is the price of a 90 a 125 the price of the 115. Would make for a much cheaper upgrade. Maybe even the 135 opti? would haul bickies and an awesome motor. Would give economy of atleast 2.4km/L so i imagine the 115 would be better?

Kleyny
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
IMO it comes down to how in your area has the better dealer reputation as they are all close as others have said.

If you have a rep. dealer up that way with great after sales service run with what they sell and service.

Allot of people skip the after sales bit when they are chasing a new product.

neil

Spaniard_King
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Plenty of 17L's gettin around with 90s on em.. ya sure ya need a 115.

davez104
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm happy with the performance of the 135, I reckon the 115 should be as good, but don't think a 90 would quite cut it. I carry a bit of gear with me, not a lot, but enough that I don't want to be underpowered. Pretty set on 115, just wanted to know if there were any standouts among the current crop.

Also, these Optimax motors, they don't get that fumey 2 stroke smell like the old bangers do they?

Cheers,
Dave.

BUCA T
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
mate, personally i wouldnt go under a 115 on this hull. A 90 would push it but if your fuelled up with some people and gear on board these deep v hulls like a v17l take a bit more pushing than your average deadrise hulls. It never hurts to have that extra power up your sleeve, when your powered up you dont have to ring your engines neck to get a comfortable cruise speed. So if you can cruise at say 3400rpm with a higher horsepower outboard and achieve the same cruise speed as a lower horse power outboard at say 4400rpm im guessing you will be getting about the same fuel economy if not better from the bigger outboard and then you still have the extra grunt when you need it. I have a yalta craft fisherman 2000 with a 150hp yamaha four stroke and cruising a around 25knts i get between 1 to 1.2 nm to the litre. Flat stik she does 42knts and guzzles 60 litres an hour. But cruising at 25knts im doin about 3400rpm.

hope this is some help

buca t

davez104
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
That's what I was thinking. I reckon the 115 will be perfect.

I got quoted $15k fitted for the Opti from a dealer in Mackay. This seems to be a fair bit over the recommended price, but do you think it is reasonable?

Cheers,
Dave.

krazyfisher
05-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Dave

When I was looking for a 115hp in mackay I found merc the dearest.
the suzuki was a good price but, I just got the best trade on the TLDI which is very simular to the opti both direct injected 2s. honda was up there and didnt even look at the etec, didnt like the dealer

whatscracken
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Anything with a Yamaha badge on it.

robothefisho
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
15 seems high considering atm rrp for the motor is 12300. Could probably do better. They don't have that fumey smell, nothing like a regular old carby 2stroke except the grunt. Maybe the free upgrade to the 125hp model would be a good match? I think the big decision is whethere or not you want a 2 or a 4 stroke. What about the 140 suzuki?

davez104
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Doesn't really concern me two stroke or four, I'm sure I'll be happy with any of the motors, but limited range has always been the big issue with the thirsty black max, so I want to get the most fuel efficient motor I can. Sounds like there is bugger all between them, so I might just shop around for the best deal I can get locally. I'll see if there is a Suzuki dealer in Mackay, if not, I've heard the Townsville dealer is pretty good. Don't fancy taking it back there every time it needs a service though.

Wayne_Red
06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I have a mate that recntly repowered a 17' milligan (glasss boat, would be similar weight to a 17L) recently with a 115 opti. He loves the motor, has plenty of grunt. At a place we fish regularly it is a 100km round trip, he is using 50 litres.
I was talking to a spearo at the ramp the other day that has a 17R' sydel (17' haines's that were made up to a year ago in Eden) he had a 135 opti. He did the same trip that day and used 50 litres also, loves the motor and the power, looking at the boat in the water also handled the weight well.
Another mate has a 17' seadevil with a 115 2s yam and does that trip in about 85 litres.
Another mate has a 5.5 stessl with a 115 4s yam and does the same trip in 65 litres
A mate a work has a 90 opti, upgraded the chip to a 115, loves the motor and eccomomy, I don't have fuel figures for his but is pushing an old 17' half cab cruisecraft.
Another guy at work has a 135 opti on a 23' aluminium stingray and love the motor, again no fuel figures.
Merc has the upgrade on untill the end of March I think so it is worth asking the question, 15k seems a bit much especially with the upgrade offer on. If you like your current clam shell 135 maybe the 135 opti is worth a real look.
Not trying to sell you on an opti, just relating real life figures and opinions of others who have these motors.
There was another spearo at the ramp on the same day I was talking to the spearo with the 135 that has a 17r with a 200 etec on it, now that would fly.
Regards Wayne

davez104
06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Just got off the phone to the local Suzuki dealer, looks like a 115 will be around the $17k mark fitted :o

davez104
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
If I want to take the boat to Brisbane I can get the Opti fitted for $13,300 or the Suzi for $15k neat. Is it worth the drive to save $2k? Maybe. Hmmmm.

Mudlicker
06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
the right one is the one that starts when you turn the key and doesnt stop till you turn the key the other way :):):)

Mike
a men brother , what ever brand rings your bell ,they all have there good points;D

davez104
06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably end up buying the 115 Optimax locally. A bit exxy, but hopefully they'll look after me with after sales service then.

robothefisho
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Would your local dealer not want to match the price to get you in the door for after sales service?

davez104
06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe. When the time comes I'll hit them up for a cheaper price, I'll be paying cash so I reckon I should be able to talk them down a bit, surely? Need to save a little more yet, so a couple of months to wait yet.

krazyfisher
07-03-2010, 07:02 AM
good luck with service from sugar city and as for after sales thats a joke..... but thats just me someone must use them. I may have to use them at some point as they are the mercrusier dealer but I will look at every option before dealing with them again.
as i said just my thoughts

davez104
07-03-2010, 08:57 AM
That doesn't sound real promising. So are there any decent dealers in town? I know Shane Morrison is pretty good, but he only sells Honda's, and the 115 Honda is way too heavy.

Dave.

krazyfisher
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Well only my findings but ocean marine have been good to me although maybe not as professional as some.
Reef marine are good but pricey.