PDA

View Full Version : circles vs. circles for Billfish

trueblue
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are eagle claw billfish circle hooks the preferred terminal tackle for billies?

I notice that Owner SSW in line circle hooks are considered tournament legal, and are considerably stronger in the same sized gape

Is there a disadvantage with using the Owner SSW circle hooks for billfish, or any other in line circle hook for that matter?

just curious, as I was surprised by how easy it is to straighten the eagle claw hooks.

cheers

Mick

business class
05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are eagle claw billfish circle hooks the preferred terminal tackle for billies?

I notice that Owner SSW in line circle hooks are considered tournament legal, and are considerably stronger in the same sized gape

Is there a disadvantage with using the Owner SSW circle hooks for billfish, or any other in line circle hook for that matter?

just curious, as I was surprised by how easy it is to straighten the eagle claw hooks.

cheers

Mick

Some circle hooks, actually alot of hooks are designed to staighten under a certain load to allow easy realease, perfect Example are SL12's which will straighten under 7kg of pressure. I use both owner and Eagle claw circles and have had no drama with either, however i only use 8kg main line, but even on the trace i am yet to straighten one of them....... So IMO go the cheaper ones OWNER as there is nothin wrong with them and are nearlly an identical hook....

Cheers
Matty

Midnight
05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Gday,
I like the Eagle Claw L2004EL but only for light tackle 8kg and under. It has a very fine guage wire and is easy to set it with only 2kg of drag.
I use the L2004 for 15 or 24kg.
How much are the Owner ones Mick? The light Eagle Claws are $14.90 for 25 and the heavier ones are $19.90 for 25.
Same with the J hooks, I will only use the SL12s for light tackle too, but as mentioned, when you want to release them you can just bounce them on the leader and they straighten out.
Cheers,
Myles

trueblue
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
maybe I should try the heavier eagle claws...... but I have a bunch of Owner SSW in line hooks (can't remember what they cost me)

I just don't like the idea of having to be super gentle leadering a fish to avoid straightening the hook, same reason I don't like SL12's

just me, I know everyone else has different opinions....

cheers

Mick

Midnight
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah Mick, I don't fish 8kg on my boat except for when I have to for a light tackle tournament (which due to work, isn't too often these days>:( ), so I only use the SL12s then and same with the L2004EL's.
They just go in super easy and its never a problem with the low strike drag settings. If you can tag the fish off the rod tip at the reel drag it came to the baot with, you shouldn't have any probs with straightening the hooks prior to the tag going in. Then when you want to let em go, just bounce the leader and they should pop.

Otherwise, I use the heavier Eagle Claw in circles, and either Mustad 76LGS in the small lures, or now also trying the Maruto 1930 and 1920x in stainless, and the 7691S Mustad in the big lures.

Have fun out there mate,
Cheers,
Myles

trueblue
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I can understand the light hooks if the main aim is only to get the tag in and to dehook as fast as possible for a comp - But I am looking at it differently.

It is such a thrill to be holding the fish and swimming it alongside the boat. I felt my son was ripped off with his marlin when I grabbed the leader and pulled the hook straight and blew his chance to hold his fish and swim it and release it.

Maybe I'll think differently after more fish, but at the moment I want a hook that isn't going to straighten when leadering the fish due to inexperience

cheers

Mick

Midnight
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I know what you mean Mick, I remember the disappointed look, just creeping through the absolute excitement, on my mates son's face, when my decky did a beautifully quick de hook and release of his first Marlin and he didn't get a chance for a photo hanging onto it by the bill.
We got good shots of it jumping and on the leader though to make up for it.
Go the L2004 in circles, you won't straighten one of those too easily!
Cheers,
Myles

jeffo
07-03-2010, 06:47 AM
All this talk of hooks straightening out on the leader is strange. What leader are you guys using?

I use 100lb wind ons and 80 lb leader with eagle claw 7/0s and 8/0s. Out of about 60 fish this season I reckon i have straightened or broken maybe 6 hooks, had 1 or 2 snaps break or straighten, then the other half probably 50/50 between the worn 80lb leader letting go down near the hook or leading the fish boat side. Keep in mind 40 of those fish have been caught in quick time on a shaft drive boat and we have leadered the fish while they have been green and jumping.

Of the 20 I have caught in my little boat 99% of them have been lead boatside and then released. The fight times in my boat are a bit longer than the twin shafts for no other reason other than I dont want the fish super green at the boat and majority of the time im solo. I have leadered blacks to 250lb on the eagle claws.

Mick, leadering should be done with "soft hands" using your arms as shock absorbers as the fish jump and shake their heads. Stiff arms with no give can see sinkers, snaps ect come flying back towardsthe crew at lightning speed if the line lets go on a jump. Be sure your leaderman is always wearing sunnies!! Seen plenty of bruises and cuts from leadering fish. This is the most dangerous time with billfish (small black marlin moreso than anything else).

trueblue
07-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Out of about 60 fish this season I reckon i have straightened or broken maybe 6 hooks

So should it be expected for the hook to let go on 1 in 10 fish? that seems a very failure rate to high to me.

I have no doubt that I grabbed the leader too hard when a fish went under the boat. I didn't realise until a few days later just how little you can pull on those hooks until I pull tested some on my bench.

I'll chalk it all up to my inexperience...........

cheers

Mick

Midnight
07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Gday Jeff,
I use 150lb Momoi Marlin ultra hard and have found it to be the best leader material I have ever used. A bit heavy for 8kg I know but it is very durable and I have never had it wear through. I rarely fish 8kg though, normally 15 and 24 on that leader..
However, I have never straightened a circle hook of any sort and the only hooks I have straightened or broken unintentionally are the SL12s.

Looking at seabreeze, you won't be seeing me at Mooloolaba testing any hooks next weekend>:(
Not happy at all! Only seems to blow on my days off!

Cheers,
Myles

brisbane_boy
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
By the time your ripping on the leader the tag should be in, if the hook bends at that point its done you and the fish a favour.