PDA

View Full Version : New Ice Box boat seats - Fantastic

trueblue
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I've got my new boat seats installed in the boat now.

The seats are new ice boxes, the Evakool IK 200 and IK 100. Everton Upholstery made the seat cushions for me, and did a great job. The cushions connect onto the ice box lids with snaps, and will never come loose even if in rough conditions.

Both seats have 2 positions where they can be secured, to ensure maximum functionality. The long 200 litre box can be all the way forward to be a side bench seat, or otherwise can be slid backwards and strapped into position so that it can be sat on or stood in front of.

The 100 litre box can be sat on as a drivers seat, or alternatively can be tucked forward out of the way to maximise fishing room and also allow easy solo access to the wheel while hanging onto a screaming rod.

The seats are secured using webbing straps, custom made with stainless steel dive belt buckles. Stainless steel eye bolts are fitted to provide the various connection points for the webbing straps.

I could not be happier with the outcome, as it provides absolute versatility. Even when not fishing, the big box is useful as a storage box to leave the cabin clear.

All I need to do now is catch a fish that doesn't fit into the big long box.........

cheers

Mick

peterbo3
04-03-2010, 06:58 PM
That looks very snazzy. Practical too.8-)8-)8-)8-)

bar raider
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
me like! nice one.

Tangles
04-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Looks great,

that first pic with the large esky is missing something, a cushion on the dash to clip in so one could stretch out while watching the rods;D

oh yeah and drink holder appropriately placed

firstlight
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Great looking setup Trueblue

I have a similar 123L removable eski setup in the middle against the transom, the only probs have been while travelling and people seated on the cushion, it moves around and breaks the clips, a couple of velcro strips between the lid and cushion seemed to fix the problem.

Hope this helps otherwise mate, very cool looking setup

cheers
firstlight

Angla
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM

I have a similar 123L removable eski setup in the middle against the transom, the only probs have been while travelling and people seated on it the cushion, it moves around and breaks the clips, a couple of velcro strips between the lid and cushion seemed to fix the problem.

cheers
firstlight

They certainly look the goods. The comment on velcro strips sounds valid. I would probably add them if they are not already on.

You will have to get some blood on them now, be it whiting, crab or wahoo.

Cheers
Chris

trueblue
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Looks great,

that first pic with the large esky is missing something, a cushion on the dash to clip in so one could stretch out while watching the rods;D

oh yeah and drink holder appropriately placed

sorry, didn't get the cushions and drink holders in the photo......... But I do have them already

cheers

Mick

trueblue
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM

I have a similar 123L removable eski setup in the middle against the transom, the only probs have been while travelling and people seated on it the cushion, it moves around and breaks the clips, a couple of velcro strips between the lid and cushion seemed to fix the problem.

cheers
firstlight

I'll have to watch and see how it goes - I told the upholsterer to 'go nuts' with the snap clips.

There are 18 snap clips on the big esky cushion, and 13 on the small one. I don't think they are going anywhere, but will pay to keep an eye on it and install some velcro if necessary

cheers

Mick

Midnight
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Looks good Mick, well done.

Cheers,
Myles

trueblue
04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
if this bleedin wind would stop I would go and try out the solo option chasing billies......

next week is starting to look good though

cheers

Mick

Midnight
04-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah mate, when I get back from work next week, I'm taking my boat up to Mooloolaba for a few days to try and pin a few if the weather plays the game.
Haven't managed to tag one for about 6 weeks around the Cape.
You will have to get a few Wahoo and Mahi Mahi to test out that long blue box mate.
Catch ya round,
Myles

honda900
05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
look good, you must be planning on catching a lot of big fish to fill those puppies.

another option to hold them in place is the BLA snap appart hinges, retractable pin allows you to move them around, then clip them back in place, just dont put them anywhere you will stand.

regards
Honda

marto78
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Mick the seats look great mate. Those snap locks are the go as long as you dont want to pull the cushions off in 6 months ;D A word of warning tho dont lift the esky lid up by the cushions because it will stretch the material and eventually tear the stitching where the clips go, I didnt even think of that when I first got mine :-[

trueblue
05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Hey Mick the seats look great mate. Those snap locks are the go as long as you dont want to pull the cushions off in 6 months ;D A word of warning tho dont lift the esky lid up by the cushions because it will stretch the material and eventually tear the stitching where the clips go, I didnt even think of that when I first got mine :-[

I think I will take them off reasonably regularly just to ensure the snaps stay in good nick, and will also spray the snaps with some lanolin. good tip about not pulling the cushion to open the box. maybe I'll put a couple of handles on....

cheers

Mick

BaitThrower
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks good mate. Nice fitout... Those eskies do make great supplementary seating :)

Mrs Ronnie H
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi
We have our evakool set up behind our front seats and strap it around the seat pedestal so it doesn't move. I made my own cushion from marine Vinyl, glued the edges before sewing so it doesn't absorb moisture and used heavy duty press studs on all 4 corners to hold it on. Doubles as an extra seat for passengers and we also sit on it when fishing and lean back against the boat seats as added comfort.

Ronnie

BigE
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Trueblue
I have a similar setup with my IK200 in the end I just sticka-flexed a li-lo from Clarks rubber. The only issue i have had is if you have the esky accross the boat and you have your catch in a salt water brine it can be easy for the load in the esky to sloch to one side and upset the balance of the boat ...... like when you and your mate gaff a big one.