PDA

View Full Version : HF Radios???

Alchemy
02-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I have been considering an HF for a while but really don't know anything about them except they look expensive! The only reason I have been thinking of one is that when we are wide of the reef (eg over 100km line of sight from nearest land) I can't get back in on the VHF. I guess if the poo hit the fan you might get hold of another ship to relay a message, but prefer direct contact myself to the VMR.

Can anyone offer advice on the suitability of HF for this purpose and the correct set up of one of these? I see some talk about automatic antenna tuners etc, which means nothing to me! Is there a basic set up that will give me extended range?

Thanks,
Dave.

PS, my VHF works well and is paired with a Glomex high gain antenna.
PPS, I am also aware that I will need to upgrade to an MROCP.

GBC
02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
HF will definitely get you home to Townsville.

We used to have regular scheds between the Gulf and Cairns, and radio telephone calls through townsville radio from the Gulf, Straits and East Coast.

The antennas need to be tuned for the current conditions, auto is simple, manual just means whistling into the mic and adjusting the tuning knob until the readout gets to the biggest number for the given day - not hard.

HF's antennas punch out enough radiation to fire up a fluro tube with a little rubbing, so mounting one in a trailer boat would mean high off a targa arch etc., (Anyone with a codan antenna hanging off their bullbar take note - tumours coming your way..... that's why telstra etc mount them off the spare at the rear of the vehicle where possible).

Codan is the name in HF, then you'll need to get the correct channels put in the set if they aren't there already.

You'll also get weather reports and radio australia.

I suppose you could also look into a small inmarsat setup? Dunno how much they are, or even if you could get the receivers onto a trailerboat.

peterbo3
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Dave,
What about a Sat Phone? The really compact models are not cheap but the bigger versions are affordable. If you only need it for emergencies it might do the job.
I had a HF on my trawler & sometimes atmospherics would make transmissions impossible. We were in Princess Charlotte Bay talking to Cairns.

Alchemy
02-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks GBC and Peter. The sat is a good idea, so I'll look into those too.

fishing111
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
If your just wanting to let people know your ok, something like the below may be suitable.

AquaLink™ View PLB

Added to MyBoatsGear on 2/22/2010

http://www.myboatsgear.com/images/products/prod_2010_enlarged.jpg (http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/exit.asp?ID=2010&url=http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2884)Our Review
AquaLink is the latest PLB from ACR electronics. The PLB includes a 66 channel GPS and with 406Link.com you can test the device and mark your position with a text message using the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite system. The small screen lets you know if the unit is working, your position and battery condition.
AquaLink is unlike the SPOT satellite messenger, which uses a private satellite network (Globalstar) network for safety and text messages. AquaLink is a true safety device and at $450 is not cheap but it is small and effective. AquaLink is also buoyant and contains 30 hours of battery life.
ACR has two plans, one at $40 and the other at $60 per year, which lets you, send I am OK messages. This feature is like the ” Spot Satellite messenger ” (http://myboatsgear.com/featured_product/spot.asp)“ . These messages and the self test are conducted through 406Link.com. Without these optional plans the PLB operates like a PLB and you will get rescued via the GMDSS 406 MHz system to the local Search And Rescue team. At the moment coverage of the AquaLinks messaging system is not as large as the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite system
” Two service plans to choose from starting at just $39.95 per year: 406Link Basic & 406Link Plus ” (http://www.406link.com/)“ Now, with the power of 406Link.com, you can make sure your PLB, ELT, or EPIRB is functioning properly - before you ever leave - through the same satellite system used by Search and Rescue. And with added messaging functionality, your beacon becomes an "Im Ok" signaling device, letting friends and family back home know you are safe.
Additional Resources
” To learn about how PLBs work and other rescue devices ” (http://www.myboatsgear.com/newsletter/2009324.asp)“

ACR electronics's Description
NEW FEATURES: Send Im OK Messages and GPS Location Maps. Increase the functionality of your PLB with optional 406Link.com non-emergency messaging service.

The AquaLink™ View broadcasts a unique registered distress signal that not only tells rescuers where you are, but who you are. The onboard GPS can fix your position to within 100 meters and then utilizes a powerful 406 MHz signal to relay your distress call to orbiting satellites. As local Search and Rescue is deployed, a separate homing signal and integrated LED strobe light guide rescuers to your exact location.
Featuring the same advanced technology and robust features as the AquaLink™ 406, the AquaLink View™ adds a reassuring element with its next-generation digital display. Upon activation, the high-visibility screen displays a continuous stream of crucial data, including: • Confirmation that the beacon is working • Your exact GPS coordinates • Remaining battery power • Visual prompts for correct deployment
In self-test mode, the screen reports status of the 406 MHz signal, GPS acquisition and battery power, and provides notification of required actions, such as "Send for Service.”
The Boaters Edge in an Emergency In the frantic moments of an emergency, the AquaLink View™ provides a calm reminder of what to do — and that help is being summoned.

FEATURES: 
3 levels of integrated signal technology — internal GPS, powerful 406 MHz satellite signal and 121.5 MHz homing  beacon 
Super bright integrated strobe 
No float pouch required – Self Buoyant 
Allows for multiple testing/display of GPS coordinates 
Typical Performance 35 Hours 
• On Board 66 Channel GPS 
Reflective Keypad

J-MAN
16-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I would recommend speaking with Barry at Navcom Electronics on Boundary Street (47712422). He has many years of HF experience for the trawler fleets. The JRC JSB-196 is one of the easiest to operate and well priced. It has full 150W output. We have installed several on 7-9m plate alloy boats for the N.T police vessels.

Cheers, J-Man.

SatNav
16-03-2010, 06:00 PM
1. ACR's 406Link is not in line with the design or specifications of most Epirb's and PLB's

2. EPIRB/PLB's are not designed for this type of use/service with any claims by ACR yet to be verified especially with regard battery capacity, design and statutory requirements

3. COSPAS/SARSAT does not support third party subscription services of this nature

Jabiru658
07-04-2010, 07:49 AM
(Anyone with a codan antenna hanging off their bullbar take note - tumours coming your way..... that's why telstra etc mount them off the spare at the rear of the vehicle where possible).

Not this old red herring again.

Only ionizing radiation can cause tumors, non ionizing radiation can not and HF radiation is non ionizing.

Telstra mount there antennas on the back because it was simpler and cheaper than educating people who didn't understand the facts and also because that way they don't obstruct the vision of the driver.

There are alternatives to Codan btw, Icom make excellent HF gear (and they are easier to service!).

Nobites
13-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Alchemy
I use a sat phone for all my offshore comms. I go out to Swains in my boat about 160klms out from Mackay.

Best thing I ever bought.

It is $30 per month however you get $10 worth of free calls

No-Bites

myusernam
16-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Not this old red herring again.

Only ionizing radiation can cause tumors, non ionizing radiation can not and HF radiation is non ionizing.

Telstra mount there antennas on the back because it was simpler and cheaper than educating people who didn't understand the facts and also because that way they don't obstruct the vision of the driver.

There are alternatives to Codan btw, Icom make excellent HF gear (and they are easier to service!).

there's some bold statements there. only ionizing radiation is known to cause cancer. no one knows what causes cancer, so no one can say that non-ionising doesn't. There is significant evidence to be very suspicious of the stochastic effects of non-ionising radiation on the body. That said, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the placement of a HF whip on a vehicle. I'm sure they were moved to the back for practical reasons.