PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 997 - 1197 Side Image Updates

barradise
28-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi,
I'm just wondering if any member who have the United States version of the Humminbird 997c / 1197c side imaging units have recently done a software update on there unit to get down imaging to function.

Also wondering if you experienced any problems from the updated software such as the GPS not picking up satelites, etc.

Thanks for passing on your experience with this.

Barradise.

tim barra master
01-03-2010, 08:23 AM
G day mate grab a memory card out of your sounder plug it into a car reader connect to your computer open the files on the card reader
deleat the old update if you have one on the card then download the new update
and simply plug the card back into your sounder and follow the instructions
The only prodlem im awair of is YOU MUST RESET YOUR SOUNDER TO DEFAULT FIRST (STANDARD SETTINGS)
i did mine a couple of months ago brilliant.
If your worried get a second card keep the original update so you can reinstall the old one
if you have both old and new updates the sounder will keep asking to install the one that is not installed It never quits till you remove the card and delete one update new or old
GOOD LUCK
TIMhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon7.gif

barradise
01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
G'day,
Yep did the update for 997c and took it out to test it and everything works as it should. I also used my Lowrance GPS combo to check for GPS position errors and didn't have any issues with wrong positioning, etc.

The down imaging works a treat and it has also updated split screens, screen colours and fixed a number of minor issues. The unit also shows images a lot clearer in deep water and provides more functions for freshwater, shallow salt and deep saltwater.

Many people are not aware that the USA version 997c and 1197c have a base map of the world. As I'm in Gladstone Queensland, the base map showed Gladstone harbour, the estuaries and even railway tracks. The map also includes the written name of my location. Gladstone.

Also with the addition of the navionic map car, it is interchangable with my Lowrance GPS combo. brillient.

barradise
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1267513483.jpg

barradise
02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1267539063.jpg

barradise
02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
The photos above show a USA version 1197c Humminbird Side Scan unit.

If the USA version of this unit is only meant for use in the USA and Canada, why does it contain such a high detailed bas map of Australia. The photos show Gladstone - Brisbane and even show main roads and railway lines when zoomed in.

If you insert an Australian Navionic card, you will get the same map read out as if it was inserted into an Australian model, spot reading on the map will be in metric.

I paid less than $2K AUD for this unit out of the USA, it saved me around 3.5K on the Aussie CX unit with the only difference being that mine reads in feet, nautical miles rather than metres and kilometers, big deal.

I could afford two of these units and still have money in my pocket against one Aussie version. If the unit should require servicing, for less than $120. AUD I can send it back to the USA Humminbird factory return express mail and be using it again in less than 14 days.

tim barra master
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
just another example of us getting shafted in australia for american gear via importers

bluefin59
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Do either of you guys know if the 997c si from the states has the same sort of imaging as in side and down scan ,also these units come with the preloaded maps ,do you have to ask for a world map over a us version or is this what they come with . Is it possible for someone to post a picture of the map zoomed up showing conture lines ,thanks ....matt

Chris_2184
02-03-2010, 06:29 PM
my mate bought a 917 like mine from the states.....he hasn't tested it yet, does this mean he too needs software update?

cheers,
Chris.

barradise
02-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Matt (Bluefin59),

There is not a lot of difference between the 997c and the 1197c except for the obvious screen size difference and that the 1197c has a video feature and a couple of minor extras.

My 997c and 1197c, both purchased from the USA have the same base map as seen above in the photo's, it came stock standard for the U.S market. This is the way it comes to U.S. buyers as well.

If you want contour lines, spot depths, green zones, etc, on the map, you need to buy an Australian SD navionic card. They work perfectly with the USA model.
While the map will show spot depths in metres, the unit measure can only show feet in real time.

barradise
02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi Chris,

Not sure about the 917. The best way to find out is to register the unit on the Humminbird.com website and check for updates once registered.

barradise
03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Tim,

There is no plausable excuse for the huge mark-up on Humminbirds, its a disgrace. Considering that most of the world outside of the USA, including Canada use metric and considering that most other major GPS, Sounder, Scan, Radar manufacturers build there units with world wide functions, Lowrance coming straight to mind, what is the go here with Humminbird.

If these other manufactures can put there product together cheaply for a world wide market, why can't Humminbird.

bassfan
13-11-2010, 09:12 AM
These units look pretty good for the current US price compared to purchasing in Australia, but still unsure about chartplotter functionality here and need some reassurance before shelling out all that hard earned......:P
Anybody bought one very recently and had it function OK here in Australia?

cheers

bassfan

bassfan
13-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Hello all, I'm really interested in purchasing the 997C SI unit which with the current high AUD can be purchased from the USA for less than half the cost here. Biggest concern of course is whether the chartplotter will work here with an Aust navionics card inserted, and according to Barradise there are no probs there. Just to be sure I emailed the seller who responded saying that he had contacted Humminbird and the answer was NO it won't work in Australia. In view of Lowrance recently sabotaging their plotters so US versions don't work here, just wondering if H/bird have also done this? Really I don't know why the manufacturers like Lowrance & Humminbird would even care as the only losers by Aussies buying from the US are the Australian importers who are ripping us all off with their high prices.

bassfan

huntell
14-11-2010, 07:56 AM
just paid for a humminbird 997c si from the states has not arrived as yet, but had some concerns on gps not working. so i called humminbird in america and they said it will not work here in oz. called the supplier i purchased it off and told them, they have since sent me an email appolagizing for innconveniance and will pay for shipping to send it back with full refund. spoke to bla in queensland they said they would service no probs but not under warranty. he also said pull unit out of box when i get it hook up to 12v battery and see if you can pick up a signal. i will have a go when i get it, does anyone else have any solutions on trying the unit as i have never owned one before.

cheers

Huntell

Steve B
14-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Myself and plenty other have used the imported (recently) Hbirds...the GPS does work OK, and if the GPS will work, and give cooridnates that are accurate, a chart card should work too.

I believe it is a scare tactic spread around to get us to buy local. I am talking Humminbird only, not sure (and dont really care) whats up with the Lowrance GPS scramble thing..Not sure if anyone has taken the plunge and bought one to test it.....I cant understand how they can scramble a GLOBAL positioning system??

cheers Steve

bassfan
14-11-2010, 12:38 PM
just paid for a humminbird 997c si from the states has not arrived as yet, but had some concerns on gps not working. so i called humminbird in america and they said it will not work here in oz. called the supplier i purchased it off and told them, they have since sent me an email appolagizing for innconveniance and will pay for shipping to send it back with full refund. spoke to bla in queensland they said they would service no probs but not under warranty. he also said pull unit out of box when i get it hook up to 12v battery and see if you can pick up a signal. i will have a go when i get it, does anyone else have any solutions on trying the unit as i have never owned one before.

cheers

Huntell
Thanks for posting that Huntell & fingers crossed it works out for you. The temptation to buy from the USA with the current $AUD so high is more than most of us can resist. Let us know how your GPS test goes.

cheers

bassfan

bassfan
14-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Myself and plenty other have used the imported (recently) Hbirds...the GPS does work OK, and if the GPS will work, and give cooridnates that are accurate, a chart card should work too.

I believe it is a scare tactic spread around to get us to buy local. I am talking Humminbird only, not sure (and dont really care) whats up with the Lowrance GPS scramble thing..Not sure if anyone has taken the plunge and bought one to test it.....I cant understand how they can scramble a GLOBAL positioning system??

cheers Steve

Thanks Steve, that's reassuring to hear. My understanding is there are 2 Humminbird versions. The "C" version is for the US market at the "CX" version is for the international market & is supposed to be the only GPS that will work in Australia. I tend to agree it's probably a big hoax to keep the Aussie importers happy and the end consumers poorer.

bassfan

huntell
14-11-2010, 07:10 PM

cheers Steve

thanks steve for that post sounds promising, as soon as i get it, i will let you guys know how it turns out. it was posted on the 10th and was told could take up to six to ten days. and a possible wait when it hits customs.

cheers

huntell

Hornet1
14-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I recently imported a 998si from the states and have purchased a Navionics Gold card here locally to load into it. It loaded up fine with no drama at all. With the savings available, mad not to consider it.

bassfan
15-11-2010, 10:03 AM
I recently imported a 998si from the states and have purchased a Navionics Gold card here locally to load into it. It loaded up fine with no drama at all. With the savings available, mad not to consider it.

Same unit I'm looking to buy, $3300 here in Aus & half of that from the US. Would be interested to know what it cost you all up with freight & duty etc and from what supplier if you feel like sharing that info (by PM might be the go).;D

cheers

bassfan

TimiBoy
15-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I bought an HB 797 from the USA. Never put a card in it, but it did give location accurately. I just wanted the sounder function, feet and inches? No trouble. Don't fall for the scare tactics, and don't feed the local rip off merchants. Get it serviced/repaired under warranty in the USA, too. It'll be back fast.

Cheers,

Tim

Steve B
15-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I bought an HB 797 from the USA. Never put a card in it, but it did give location accurately. I just wanted the sounder function, feet and inches? No trouble. Don't fall for the scare tactics, and don't feed the local rip off merchants. Get it serviced/repaired under warranty in the USA, too. It'll be back fast.

Cheers,

Tim

Yep agree with Tim. Had to send a sounder back to US under warranty...back on my boat in 3 weeks....$45 outta pocket....still ahead by about $450.00

cheers Steve

LittleSkipper
17-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Gidday Huntell

Why would Humminbird in the U.S say to you that the unit will not work here in Australia? Seems rather bizarre why they would say something like this in order to convince you not to buy from the U.S, you think they would be more than helpful in obtaining another sale even if it is in Australia...it's all money after all no matter what country it comes from.

Cheers
Wayno's.

huntell
18-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Gidday Huntell

Why would Humminbird in the U.S say to you that the unit will not work here in Australia? Seems rather bizarre why they would say something like this in order to convince you not to buy from the U.S, you think they would be more than helpful in obtaining another sale even if it is in Australia...it's all money after all no matter what country it comes from.

Cheers
Wayno's.

Hi twin dragons

have no idea why they told me it wont work here, but did ring them over there and thats what the woman from humminbird said. and also the ebay seller said to me after they had already posted it i will no soon tracked the item should have it by monday:) let you know how it goes.

cheers

Dan

Stido1
19-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I purchsed a HB 798CI SI Combo last month from the States & the GPS works fine. Bought the Aussie Navionics Gold card from there too & saved an additional $100 on Oz prices.

Hornet1
21-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Bassfan....PM sent.

Chanlo
21-11-2010, 04:43 PM
If you are worried about not having metric measurements why not look for a metric version of the sounder from canada? or another country other than Aus?

huntell
23-11-2010, 06:43 PM
just got my humminbird its actually a 998c si not a 997c si is there any difference, plugged the system in to check gps and it works great shows my location perfect. going to buy the navionics card for it. had to down load manual from net to see how to install as the american disk wont read for me on dvd. does the speed and temp sensor come with this unit or does that work in with the transducer not sure because there is a seperate port for speed and temp. happy with my buy cost me $1600 + $77 shipping turned up at my door with no import tax not sure if i got a good price but 100% better than what i could get here.:)

cheers

huntell

bassfan
30-11-2010, 09:11 PM
just got my humminbird its actually a 998c si not a 997c si is there any difference, happy with my buy cost me $1600 + $77 shipping turned up at my door with no import tax not sure if i got a good price but 100% better than what i could get here.:)

cheers

huntell

The 998C SI is the later model to the 997 which is probably no longer available. Mate you did very well & I hope I can get mine for the same price, as the cheapest I've seen them here in Aus is $3300 at Whitworths.

bassfan

bassfan
15-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Huntell, I just received my 998C from the states and fortunately slipped through the GST net. Cost landed was @ $1600AUD, less than half the cost in Aus. and I'm pretty happy with that. Re: the speed & temp, my understanding is speed is from your GPS although there may be a paddlewheel option but these are inaccurate. The Transducer should have a temp sensor in it.
Try playing the CD on your computer, I managed to get mine to play and it was pretty informative.

bassfan

barradise
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Get stuff,
Cheers,