PDA

View Full Version : Charging 2 batteries

doggy39
26-02-2010, 09:18 PM
After some help please, I use a battery that runs my electrics as well as bilge pump lights,this is charged from the motor, i dont have electric start or tilt or trim,i had this installed so i could charge the battery,I also do a lot of luring so i run a 100amp hr battery up the front for my electric is there a way that i can charge both these batteries while travelling thru the day,as they are 2 completley diffrent size batteries.

Thanks.doggy39

rayken1938
26-02-2010, 09:36 PM
You certainly can wire in a switch that will enable you to charge both batteries at once but what is the charging capacity of your motor? If it only puts out 6 amps it is hardly worth the effort because it would take 8 hours to fully charge a relatively small 50A/H battery.
Cheers
Ray

doggy39
26-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Ray i am pretty sure they told me that it was 15amps when i had it put in but i will find that out for sure.

rayken1938
27-02-2010, 05:51 AM
A 55 lb thrust motor on full speed will draw over 40 amps so if you have a 15 amp charger on your motor you will have to run the motor for aprox 3 times that you run your leccy to maintain full charge. Also you will not get 15 amps from motor at slow speed.
Cheers
Ray

doggy39
27-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Ray it is more to make sure that i have charge left at the end of the day, if i have a big day on the water i notice sometime that i am getting low after a lot of use on a big day so it is just to keep the charge up a bit on the battery,What switch would be the best to wire this up with and just run cables from first battery to switch and cables from second battery to switch is this the only way to do it thanks.

Greg

bar raider
27-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I want to hook my trolling batt up too, i know it wont make much of a charge based on travelling times from spot to spot

but it will help extend the casting/trolling times before you go "she's flat better go home"

and possibly extend battery life by not letting it get as flat as it would have otherwise and a bit of a charge on way back to ramp?

well i think it makes sense. :)

doggy39
27-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Sounds good to me bar raider has anybody got any ideas or diagrams to help thanks.