PDA

View Full Version : Red Medicine - Tastes so sweet!

Spot82
26-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Sean and I had being hanging out for another 1770 trip to chase those red creatures since about a week after are last adventure and had been waiting for some decent weather to allow us to make the journey to try our luck again as well as the opportunity to try and find some new ground at the same time.

In the time that the weather kept us off the water we had done some modifications to Sean’s boat including a t-top roof to try and provide a bit of shade, as three days in the sun with no shade and often covered in salt is a very long time! With everything coming together and rods, reels and tackle all prepped and ready to go the weather finally looked like it would play the game from Monday to Wednesday lunchtime. The bite prediction was not favourable but you don’t know if you don’t try!

We left Brisbane at 4am Monday morning, stopped in Maryborough to meet my parents to get some eskies, 30kg of mullet and a deck winch and continued on our way to 1770 arriving at 10.30 with us on the water around 11.30. Trip out was still a bit bumpy from the SE’er which had been blowing for a couple of days but it wasn’t too bad. Live bait was once again scarce so we didn’t waste too much time chasing it.

Just on the inside of the reef we run across a nice bommie and quickly turned back to have a better look. It was loaded with fish and we set up a drift and lines went down, two trout quickly made their way into the esky, Sean getting his on a plastic and mine on mullet with a PEtackle fly. Next drift Sean is onto a good fish on the plastics again but this time it was a nice red about 5kg, a first for him, and the first I have ever witnessed being caught on a plastic, something which we had been planning to try and achieve on one of our trips. We decided on one more drift before moving wider, we were just about to up lines when I got the tell tale peck of a Red Emperor, I kept feeding slack line, and by the time of hooking up I had nearly 120m of line out in 40m of water. With Sean already up I was barking the orders to slowly back the boat up while trying to keep the solid fish off the bottom, a short while later a beautiful red appeared from the depths and was swum into the net, put on the scales the fish went 13kg! The biggest to be landed in Sean’s boat to date and once again the PEtackle fly with a whole mullet fillet doing the damage.

Moving to the spot we found last trip where we got most of the Reds, we were greeted with a great show but they certainly weren’t on the bite, Sean boated one more red , we moved around the area but only managed a few nice red throats, maori cod and spangled emperor. By 7pm it was a complete glass out and we didn’t even bother going back to sleep in the lagoon. We cooked up some snags for dinner and went to sleep at about 11.30pm.

Tuesday we awoke at 4am and started fishing, again it was very slow from the beginning, we did a lot of moving only pulling one or two fish on each spot. On top of that with there being basically no wind, the odd light breeze 3-5knots, and little current, getting the drift right became very painful at times, drifting back over the para anchor or drift line changing 90 degrees mid drift, it was too calm! We searched east of the usual haunts and found some nice ground. Sean once again helping out calling 5 more mins before the move and pick, pick, pick this time I only had to give the fish a few metres of line before my bait was slammed. It felt like a red but as we hadn’t pulled any others on that spot I wasn’t 100% sure until I got colour, another nice Red, pulling the scales down to 12kg. The Petackle Slimey Mackeral Fly with a whole mullet fillet again producing the goods.

Moving north we pulled up on a spot which was loaded with fish and the sounder showed what typically is a lot of bait with Reds feeding on them, or hanging just off the edge of the structure. Lines went down, Sean and myself got slammed almost instantly, double hook up on reds, one 5kg and one 8kg. Lines quickly went back over, I dropped the winch as my leader was gone, again it wasn’t long before we were both on again, Sean with a nice Blue Maori Cod and I had another Red around 4.5kg. Things were looking promising but on the second drift we did not get a fish and the spot shut down. We travelled north up to Sykes finding bommie after bommie along the way but not pulling many fish only having a quick drop on the best looking ones before heading back to anchor for the arvo bite. We anchored up and all was quiet until Sean’s line screamed off, but alas it was a shark and busted him off not long after. We moved back to another promising spot and anchored for the night, again it was like a millpond. What followed made for an interesting night.

The fish were there but very timid, and I had landed a white tip reef shark that was about 2.5 metres long, which did nothing to help my aching back. We thought what the hell, out come the plastics combos, and down when some baits on very light leader and small single hooks, in the hope to a) get some reds and b) do it on light gear. Sean hooked up and was then slammed by a shark. I hooked up and was skull dragging a half decent fish, my ‘light’ gear putting some hurt on the fish but being very buckled over, although about halfway it got a bit easier. When I got to the top I realised why, I had half a legal red, mr grey suit had the other half for dinner. Try again, round two and I was successful a Red which went 60cm and in the 4kg range. Sean got a spangle, which managed to flop around the boat and onto my rod, next drop that was the end of it, bang, it was now in two pieces! On that note it was time for food and bed for me and we started snoring around midnight again.

On waking at 4am Wednesday the SE’er had lightly started to blow but there was some big rain clouds around, and it seemed like the wind was sucking into these. Back to the spot which produced the three Reds and Moari the day before and first drift I was onto a good red, this one going 8kg. Second drift produced nothing and on the third Sean hooked up to a very, very good Red, only to have the hooks pull when he had the fish over half way up, he was not happy and it was very disappointing even for me to see him drop such a good fish when he had done everything right.

We tried a couple more spots, trying to get the one last red we needed to complete our bag, but not much was happening. By this time we had been soaked by two very heavy showers and the wind was picking up, knowing that it was supposed to get up to 25knots after lunch we headed back to the first mark we fished on the way out for one or two quick drifts.

Sean got a good trout straight up and I got busted by a much bigger one! Trout fishing in shallow water is some of the best fun you can have, even if you are losing fish. Next drift produced another two trout and on the final drift Sean put the last red in the esky in the 4-5kg range. However by this stage it was midday and the wind was now howling.

The trip home was one that won’t be forgotten anytime soon, on coming out the western side of the reef we were greeted with 2 metre swells with a metre of chop on top which were breaking left right and centre, and we were headed into it at about 45 degrees. I would have been less wet if I had gone for a swim, and that was while wearing a heavy duty raincoat. We could only travel at 15-19km/h and I don’t think any trailer boat would have been going any quicker in the conditions. Both of us agree it is some of the roughest weather we had ever been out in. After 3.5 hrs and many mouthfuls of saltwater we made it back into the creek. In any other boat of that size I would have been scared sh!tless but the Stabicraft handled them extremely well besides the drenching factor, which any open boat has.

We ended up with 10 Reds, 10 cod, 8 Red Throats, 5 Trout, 6 Spangles, 1 Parrot after a lot of hard work and 320kms of travel on the water.

I also got busted off by a big red on the winch and I was using an 80lb 49 strand wire leader! Shows you what these fish are capable of and why they will find any weak spot in your tackle.

Sorry for the essay but I hope you all enjoy it. Until next time tight lines.

Will post another video in the video section after the weekend :D

Thanks to Sean for a great trip, I'll help you catch your 5 reds anytime :P

Anthony

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/292/redant1dsc2127.jpg

13kg Red on PEtackle Slimey Mackeral

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5173/redfly1dsc2144.jpg
again

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6925/redantdsc2176.jpg
12kg Red on PEtackle Slimey Mackeral

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3918/seanreddsc2229.jpg
8kg Red on PEtackle Red neck

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6461/plasticreddsc2107.jpg
Sean's first Red on a Plastic (Gulp)

Spot82
26-02-2010, 02:59 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2809/redlightgeardsc2205.jpg
60cm Red on Plastic Outfit

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/253/sharksdinnerdsc2198.jpg
Sharks Dinner - Legal Red 60-65 if not bitten in half.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/997/riggingdsc2236.jpg
How we use the flys - 2 or 3 hook snell rig with a big bait.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5697/troutdsc2117.jpg
Trout on Slimey Mackeral

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6286/tuesdaymorningdsc2149.jpg
Sunrise Tuesday

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8292/roughconditionsdsc2184.jpg
Shocking Conditions on Tuesday

Spot82
26-02-2010, 02:59 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3313/redcatchdsc2257.jpg
Red lawn of death

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/203/lunchp2230014.jpg
Lunch

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5372/triphomep2240026.jpg
Getting soaked on the way home and looking very happy about it.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4527/seantriphomep2240036.jpg
I sent Sean to the naughty corner on the way home for making us stay out to late to get the final red to complete the bag out.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/329/bigredsdsc2252.jpg
My two big reds

vertico
26-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Top trip once again Anthony, always good when you have some good crew to bait up your hooks and wind in all the big reds :P
till next month
Sean

trueblue
26-02-2010, 03:11 PM
very well done Sean

what size circles were you using? Those flys are working out an absolute treat

cheers

Spot82
26-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Seems a couple of the pics won't work in the posts, any ideas?

vertico
26-02-2010, 03:54 PM
10/0 cirlces mick PEtackle Recurves.

tropicrows
26-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Great report and top pics. I'm still dreaming of catching my first red.
How big was the Stabicraft ? and how does it handle to conditions up there.

vertico
26-02-2010, 04:18 PM
5.29 mate and its simply an awesome rig for its size.

Goldfinch
26-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Bravo...a classic report fellas. All the makings of a great fishing trip. I love the raincoat pics....very funny!!! Any video footage?

Might have to try some of those flys you keep raving about.

Awesome work.

Cheers
Dave

indy
26-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Good read guy's some top fish there, naughty corner lol got to hate that.

cheers pete...

Ratman
26-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Great work men, thanks for the report, well done. Mick

Fishing_Freddy
26-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Great report and some quality fish well done
Ken

perko
26-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Well done again fellas, you are a tough pair of buggers.

jtpython
26-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Great report and amazing effort you guys defineatly put in the work for a great result
JT

twotins
26-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Gee you guys have definately got them sussed now. How can i get some of those fly rigs Sean? Do you supply any shops locally on the Sunny coast?

Daisy Burnett
26-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Well done lads good report good fish

Daisy

vertico
26-02-2010, 09:49 PM
not yet twotins just sent you a pm send me an email any questions.

marto78
27-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Well done guys, some top looking fish there.

Benno1
27-02-2010, 08:02 AM
sweet dreams are made of this...top shelf report and pics...thanks boys :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

fishfreak01
27-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Great report and some great fishing,

How much fuel did you use on the whole trip?

fishfreak.

reel scream
27-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Well done Ant and Sean. Great read and great fish. Gotta love a 3 hour salty shower to get rid of any dried blood or bait on your body.
Out of interest, were all baits sent down with a fly? Just curious as to what the fly verses natural ratio would have been.
Cheers
Scott

Spot82
27-02-2010, 09:45 AM
;D
Well done Ant and Sean. Great read and great fish. Gotta love a 3 hour salty shower to get rid of any dried blood or bait on your body.
Out of interest, were all baits sent down with a fly? Just curious as to what the fly verses natural ratio would have been.
Cheers
Scott

When the fish are chewing mate, there isn't much of a difference bewtween fly or no fly, but when they are not chewing this is when the flys really show what they are capable of.

The last 3 trips I have done to 1770 and 1 Trip off DI have proved that these actually work when the fish aren't so hungary, and entice bites. Last trip to 1770 me and Sean run out of Flys, the spot we were fishing is very rough, with a 15knot NW'er blowing, and regularly getting busted off by or dropping fish, both of which would usually shut fish down, we we regularly catching reds for a period of 4-5hrs. From what i know and what i have heard from people that catch a lot of reds, they typically only bite for an hour or so a day, and if you drop one then you may as well move.

I honestly think we would have struggled this trip without using flys, cause as much as we it looks like we got a good bag of fish and we did, it was very very hard work to put that bag together. Give em a try and make up your own mind is probably the best option.

Thanks for all the comments people. And as much as it would seem we have the reds sorted there is still a lot to learn, we are still trying varying rigs, hook styles and techniques to try improve the catch and to get BUSTED OFF LESS :P Which I have been give the title of Anthony Bust Off King haha not my fault i hook all the frieght trains i guess ;D

Anthony

Spot82
27-02-2010, 10:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP55xDY-lPU
Red Medicine 1 - Catching Reds ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXGTz9uZu1c
Red Medicine 2 - The not so red fish :P

Fishbait
27-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Thats just awesome - there huge REDS alright! Well done you lucky buggers. Cheers, Darren.

Dean1
27-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice haul boys... I was at work how dare you boys go fishing when others are at work ;D I have to say tho ive come in alot rougher conditions up there ive had waves breaking over the canopy ;D I guess its a cat thing, you fish until it gets so unbearable you forget you have to get home!! Not to mention heading out to musgrave in 25kts coz they say its 'gonna drop out' ;D

Jurkyjj
27-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Great report and fantastic pics.
Well Done on the bag out.
Top effort.
Still trying to get my first red!

Jason

vertico
27-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I think they are reasonably priced compared to some of the flasher rigs available.

hookinin
27-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the great report,pics and video. Well done.
Cheers Gaven

trueblue
27-02-2010, 08:53 PM
from having spent a period of time fishing alongside Sean with bare hooks myself, while Sean used PE Tackle fly's......... Sean got lots more hits than me

Spot82
28-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Nice haul boys... I was at work how dare you boys go fishing when others are at work ;D I have to say tho ive come in alot rougher conditions up there ive had waves breaking over the canopy ;D I guess its a cat thing, you fish until it gets so unbearable you forget you have to get home!! Not to mention heading out to musgrave in 25kts coz they say its 'gonna drop out' ;D

Hey Dean, the vid really doesn't do the conditions justice! It was 10 times worse than what it looks in the vid. I have been out in 25foot swells off tweed and I'll tell u this was a lot more uncomfortable and much more dangerous. We got airbourne a few times doing 20kph.... That says something....

Benno1
28-02-2010, 12:50 AM
i could watch vids like that ALL DAY!!!...good stuff.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Dean1
28-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Dean, the vid really doesn't do the conditions justice! It was 10 times worse than what it looks in the vid. I have been out in 25foot swells off tweed and I'll tell u this was a lot more uncomfortable and much more dangerous. We got airbourne a few times doing 20kph.... That says something.... Yeah mate vids and pics are always misleading. The first few times i fished there it was variable no swell, the last few times its been nasty.

Obviously depends on the swell when its glassed out (glassy swells) coz if the wind whips back up with a solid swell still around it can trashed in an hour or so!

Reason i havent been out for a while im sick of crap conditions, or work is always in the way when its prime weather.

Depressing....

I have to tell myself i will get out again soon ;D

How much fuel does the Stabi hold???

Do you boys have to carry extra fuel, jerry's??

Cheers..

skipalong
28-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey Dean, the vid really doesn't do the conditions justice! It was 10 times worse than what it looks in the vid. I have been out in 25foot swells off tweed and I'll tell u this was a lot more uncomfortable and much more dangerous. We got airbourne a few times doing 20kph.... That says something....

air bourne at 10knots is nothing or was it blowing your skirt up in the breeze, when you take waves over drifting come back and see us cause thats when you have to start to worry about where you are and what your doing there !!

vertico
28-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Dean....Stabi holds 100litres and we usually take about 3 - 5 jerrys for longer trips.

Justin....Was rough enough for a 5m boat 70km out to sea.

Si
28-02-2010, 01:38 PM
thats fantastic! great photos too. thanks for sharing!

Vindicator
28-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Well done boys, you cracked it again. Some great video footage again as well, makes me think of mounting a camera as well.

Cheers
Kezza

MyWay
28-02-2010, 08:14 PM
well done boys
great report,pics and video. Well done.

cheers myway

hsv 408
28-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Spot 82 whats the diffrance in byeing one of these pe flys and going to the arts and craft shop. and byeing some string and cotton and just cable tying it to the back of the bait as shown on previous picture it would have to be heaps cheaper. And get the same reults.

Mate i reckon your on to something their but instead of cable tying why dont you use superglue cheaper then cable ties ;) im an ideas man too :P

Spot82
28-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Spot 82 whats the diffrance in byeing one of these pe flys and going to the arts and craft shop. and byeing some string and cotton and just cable tying it to the back of the bait as shown on previous picture it would have to be heaps cheaper. And get the same reults.

Mate you are a genius! I should have thought of that myself! Well you go buy a decent hook, which are $1-$2 each, then buy the hair for the flys, which isn't cheap, then factor in time to tie it. They really are no more expensive than a soft plasic by the time u for the plastic and the jig heads.

Why complain about spending $8 on something which helps u catch fish that are hundreds of dollars? This trip I caught, 3 Red Emperor (13kg, 12kg, and 8kg), 1 trout and 2 red throats on the one fly, pretty good investment if you ask me.

Opinions are like arseholes.... everyone has one ;) No wonder most people don't bother posting reports on here anymore...

To everyone else, thanks for all the positive comments, greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Dean1
28-02-2010, 09:38 PM
air bourne at 10knots is nothing or was it blowing your skirt up in the breeze, when you take waves over drifting come back and see us cause thats when you have to start to worry about where you are and what your doing there !! Ha ha sorry but had to laugh at that one! ;D Funny you say that coz it takes a few waves over the side before i think its getting too rough to fish :-/ If only the fish appreciated what we we go thru to catch them ;D

hsv 408
28-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Mate you are a genius! I should have thought of that myself! Well you go buy a decent hook, which are $1-$2 each, then buy the hair for the flys, which isn't cheap, then factor in time to tie it. They really are no more expensive than a soft plasic by the time u for the plastic and the jig heads.

Why complain about spending $8 on something which helps u catch fish that are hundreds of dollars? This trip I caught, 3 Red Emperor (13kg, 12kg, and 8kg), 1 trout and 2 red throats on the one fly, pretty good investment if you ask me.

Opinions are like arseholes.... everyone has one ;) No wonder most people don't bother posting reports on here anymore...

Anthony
8 bucks is a bargain . Awesome reports guys always like reading them , keep em coming would love to have a crack at some reds one of these days and when i do i will be taking a few of those flys 8-)

Reefmaster
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM
gee talk about some hostility going on in here:) how about everyone is the best fisherman, everyone fishes rougher water then everyone else, everyone has the best boat, everyone uses the best tackle to catch fish and everyone knows everything about everything:P ;D Does that settle it?8-)

fishfreak01
01-03-2010, 06:56 AM
gee talk about some hostility going on in here:) how about everyone is the best fisherman, everyone fishes rougher water then everyone else, everyone has the best boat, everyone uses the best tackle to catch fish and everyone knows everything about everything:P ;D Does that settle it?8-)

What else can you say, that should shut everyone up.

Good call Greg

fishfreak

JB
01-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Nice fish verts, tough trip home.. i bet the back was aching. Took us 3 hours from the barwons one time in doms sportfish c/console and man we were so glad to see mooloolaba harbour...

I'd love to get out to fitzroy in my 4.5 trailcraft but i'd be pushing it between fuel and the weather risk.

vertico
01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
back was fine JB just the face was salt blasted all the way home.

brisbane_boy
01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
bastardised one of your flys sean and gave the threadybuster a fin, it swam with grace and caught 2 jew in the first 15min of testing. the flys do a lot more than look pretty the action in the water would get anything going. got some pics ill wack up when there downsized

vertico
01-03-2010, 10:31 AM
bloody awesome brisbane_boy cant wait to see the pics....

brisbane_boy
01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Will have the fish pics tonight there on mates cam, this was the proto, the fly material reduces the tail hook "hanging up" compared to rubber tails and gives great action and flash, im sure the pe tackle flys will become more accepted theres endless ways to use them in trolling rigs and they will have application for barra and jacks to, just takes more people like yourself to step outside the norm and try things

skipalong
01-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Anthony

hahaha everytime i hear about these fish weights they keep getting heavier :-X

vertico
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
well I saw it on 2 sets of scales id have to say those weights are pretty accurate.

Pistol_P
01-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Sean...Thats a top pic of the red caught on the Gulp.8-)

Awesome fish allround too boys.....Great post.

Pete

brisbane_boy
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
one of the jewies on it

goona
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Awsome results guys. Whats the cab set up and why is everyone wet?

vertico
01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
open boat mate no cab necessary :P

nigelr
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Great post spot 82, thanks for the effort, really enjoyed reading of your exploitsand seeing the pics and vids. Good on ya's!
Those fly rigs look very interesting, I'll have to buy some at some stage and give them a go on the local snapper. By all acounts they work effectively, and well done for having a go!
Cheers.

Mad one.
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi guys, Great report!

Would love to know some of the logistics for a trip like that in a boat of your size?

how much fuel, eskys, ice, sleeping set ups etc

Having spent a few overnighters in my own boat which is the same size and a cc would like to know some of your tricks ;D ;D ;D

secondly great to see you guys only getting quality fish!

Cheers guys.

MO

PS really enjoy seeing great results come from the smaller boats

Tangles
02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice stuff Sean, and good report Spot, aint enough of it

Spot82
02-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi MO,

We took 200L of fuel, 100L under the floor and 5 jerries, usually get away with 3 jerries but its good to have spare.

We took 50kg of ice and that was all gone by the time we got back, we are trying to figure out a way to keep the ice longer on a 3 day trip as it just melts so quick. 400L of esky space. I think what we will do for next trip is make a lot of salt ice bottles which seem to keep very well and keep the esky very cold when u make a slurry.

Sleeping wise i am soft and take a swag, Sean is hardcore and sleeps on a sleeping bag on the floor (if he remembers to take it)

You really need to make sure where you store everything is convenient and don't want to be moving eskys and stuff around a whole lot except to sleep.

Food we take a butane cooker so we can have a hot meal of a night, as this makes all the difference and helps you keep going.

Hope that helps a bit.

Next trip i will be living in luxury in the 625 cruisecraft with beds while sean enjoys the floor in his boat haha.

Anthony

Mad one.
02-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks Anthony,

Sure sounds like an adventure!

Looking forward to seeing the video from your next trip.

Cheers, MO

trymyluck
03-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Mate great report, bloody awsome.......

We just came back from a couple of days on Newbys bertram, a couple of nice trout came on board but that was about it, always next time. That shot of the fly setup is great, will help for next time.

Mark

Megatop
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Anthony,

Can you check your PM's

Adrian

Spot82
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Anthony,

Can you check your PM's

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Don't have any PM's from you?

Anthony

vertico
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
trymyluck....what areas did newby hit ?

trymyluck
06-03-2010, 07:44 PM
trymyluck....what areas did newby hit ?

Mate we fished Lamont and somewhere near sykes but we only fished a couple of hours on each, might try and get out there later on this year sometime. We were going to spend the night at Sykes but weather was against us.

vertico
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Trymyluck....sykes is the place to be.

trymyluck
06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
From what we saw I'd have to agree, just gotta have the right weather pattern and we might just have to give it a bash. need one of those Stabi's.

fishandchips
07-03-2010, 10:37 AM
some great fish there guys once again. i got a nice red on plastic up at yeppon at the start of last year ,yours is the only other legal one i have heard about. luke

Smithy
09-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Luke,

there have been a few of the Ausfish boys over the years get reds on plastics. One of those things so you can say you have done it but bait is certainly more effective.

vertico
14-03-2010, 08:37 PM
greg is the only other person i personally know off that got a monster 13kg job on a plastic off 1770 as well..mine was only 6.5kg or so

insideout
14-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for sharing, a good read and watch. Goes to show that if you really want the goods, you can get out there and catch some red fish, and you dont need a big flash expensive boat or deep pockets, or be part of a select few to do it, if you pick your days and plan ahead.

For me, if the flys gives you a edge over bait alone, why not?? We are out there to catch fish and enjoy the trip...each to there own.

As long as reports like this keep on coming, it keeps ppl like me interested and keen.

Good job.....just leave some for the rest of us:thumbsup: