PDA

View Full Version : We Found Us Some Reds!

Vindicator
25-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Gday all,

Headed out off Rainbow on Tuesday with Scott(Reel Scream). Travelled through the bar with just enough light and headed out for a bit bumpier ride than expected.
Pulled up at the first spot (better known as hussar alley)to catch some hussar to use as bait. Sent the lines down to find there was a fair current runnning. Had the sea anchor and we were still travelling just over 2.5 knots. It seemed the fish had found somewhere to hide from the run as we only picked up a couple and a nice maori cod.
Moved to another spot not too far away and after a drift or so Scott doubles over with what looked like the first red of the day. After a bit of a tussle up came some colour and realised it was just no ordinary red. Got the gaff in and pulled it over and it pulled down to 12.5 kg.
Sh!t, there was a carton riding on the biggest red and I knew I had my work cut out for me. The run had slowed by this stage which meant for easier fishing and a lot easier to stay on the bottom. Next minute Scott's on again and I was looking for the scissors;D . Up comes a red of the 9.5kg variety.
Later it was finally my chance but Scott had other ideas, obviously wanting to hang on to his carton of beer;D ;D . He pulls up a trigger fish which he had hooked on the side causing our lines to tangle. While unhooking the fish a red had taken my bait. With the fish unhooked amid much confusion I went to strike at the fish and 'ting' went my line, snapped right at the boat.
I had my turn again later and managed to bring this one to the surface but only pulled the scales down to 4.5kg. That certainly wasn't going to get my carton back.
After a while they slowed and the wind picked up so the decision was made to head a little closer inshore and try some other ground for parrot and the likes. We were only greeted with a heap of small squire, only putting one in the esky.
By this time it was getting on and we decided to head for the hills.
We ended up with 5 reds, 1 maori cod, squire, some parrot and hussar. A bloody top day with plenty of laughs in between. Thanks Scott for a great day and look forward to do it again soon. (gotta win back my pride):'( Didn't get photos of the full catch as it was dark by the time we got back home and was ready for bed.

Cheers
Kezza

outwide1
25-02-2010, 09:24 PM
NICE WORK FELLAS,been wondering what the current has been like up there.Looks like its fishable atleast.
Welldone
mick.

reel scream
25-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for a great day Kezza. Had a ball. Plenty of laughs discussing everything from Vasectomys to religion. lol.
You forgot to mention why i outfished you four to one.................those fairy fly's you were using!!!
I am sure you will win back the beer one day mate.(i owe that trigger a beer or two;D )
Till next time..

Cheers
Scott

Benno1
26-02-2010, 12:20 AM
That licorice lipped Red is a CRACKAAAH!!!...good stuff boys :D
Cheers for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

vertico
26-02-2010, 01:06 PM
awesome mate well done

FNQCairns
26-02-2010, 01:07 PM
This thread is useless without GPS coordinates LOL!

cheers fnq

Sarge06
26-02-2010, 01:13 PM

cheers fnq

Gonna take a lot more than a cheeky post to get them mate!;D :-X

Nice work fellas, thanks for the report...

Spot82
26-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Nice work Kezza, glad to see you found some good sized ones. ;)

Scotty what is this about fairy flys??? Just you wit till tonight when I post up my latest report...... Nice fish by the way mate, not bad for an amature :P

Can't wait to hit DI in a month or two and see if we can't get a bag out on the reds this year.

Thanks for the report guys, glad to hear the current is dropping out a bit.

Anthony

Tailortaker
26-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Well done guys !!! We will have to catch up for a beer !
Cheers Grant

Reefmaster
26-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Well done boys some qaulity fish there...a 12.5kg Red is a great fish mate. Well done

Anthony it seems Scott didn't require a bit of hair on his bait to catch qaulity fish...He realised there was no need to cross dress a lovely natural bait to get results..:P :-* :)

Greg

-spiro-
26-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Anthony it seems Scott didn't require a bit of hair on his bait to catch qaulity fish...He realised there was no need to cross dress a lovely natural bait to get results..:P :-* :)

Greg
Greg the balder the better hey...lmfao..send'm to the Sydney Matri gra

Kes and Scott ó good fish fellas well done on the xo reds;D

jtpython
26-02-2010, 06:26 PM
BLOODY TOP STUFF BOYS................... Nothing beats a good red
JT

poolman
26-02-2010, 06:28 PM
those big reds are a double delight first catching them and then eating them,not sure which is better

Fishing_Freddy
26-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Well done guys some nice fish there.
Ken:beer:

captain rednut
26-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Gday all,

Headed out off Rainbow on Tuesday with Scott(Reel Scream). Travelled through the bar with just enough light and headed out for a bit bumpier ride than expected.
Pulled up at the first spot (better known as hussar alley)to catch some hussar to use as bait. Sent the lines down to find there was a fair current runnning. Had the sea anchor and we were still travelling just over 2.5 knots. It seemed the fish had found somewhere to hide from the run as we only picked up a couple and a nice maori cod.
Moved to another spot not too far away and after a drift or so Scott doubles over with what looked like the first red of the day. After a bit of a tussle up came some colour and realised it was just no ordinary red. Got the gaff in and pulled it over and it pulled down to 12.5 kg.
Sh!t, there was a carton riding on the biggest red and I knew I had my work cut out for me. The run had slowed by this stage which meant for easier fishing and a lot easier to stay on the bottom. Next minute Scott's on again and I was looking for the scissors;D . Up comes a red of the 9.5kg variety.
Later it was finally my chance but Scott had other ideas, obviously wanting to hang on to his carton of beer;D ;D . He pulls up a trigger fish which he had hooked on the side causing our lines to tangle. While unhooking the fish a red had taken my bait. With the fish unhooked amid much confusion I went to strike at the fish and 'ting' went my line, snapped right at the boat.
I had my turn again later and managed to bring this one to the surface but only pulled the scales down to 4.5kg. That certainly wasn't going to get my carton back.
After a while they slowed and the wind picked up so the decision was made to head a little closer inshore and try some other ground for parrot and the likes. We were only greeted with a heap of small squire, only putting one in the esky.
By this time it was getting on and we decided to head for the hills.
We ended up with 5 reds, 1 maori cod, squire, some parrot and hussar. A bloody top day with plenty of laughs in between. Thanks Scott for a great day and look forward to do it again soon. (gotta win back my pride):'( Didn't get photos of the full catch as it was dark by the time we got back home and was ready for bed.

Cheers
Kezzahey kezza
your a game man taken scotty out??? did he wear the traditional bananna colour shirt and green pants and then complain that your boat doesnt raise the fish?????????? i feel your pain kezza.
cheers jim

Kdog
27-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Gotta love that colour hay kezza, so tell us, how many beers did it take to fillet that lot!!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cheesy.gif

reel scream
27-02-2010, 08:46 AM
hey kezza
your a game man taken scotty out??? did he wear the traditional bananna colour shirt and green pants and then complain that your boat doesnt raise the fish?????????? i feel your pain kezza.
cheers jim

Ha ha ha. The VB top is a rag now. Smart arse ;D

Cheers
Scott

reel scream
27-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Scotty what is this about fairy flys??? Just you wit till tonight when I post up my latest report...... Nice fish by the way mate, not bad for an amature :P

Anthony

But Ant the fish will hit anything when they are in a frenzy::) . When they are touchy like the other day the well presented bait outfished the fairy fly easily;D ;D .

Cheers
Scott

Vindicator
27-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey Jim, didn't see any lairy shirts but the shorts made up for it.:LMAO:
I ended up re rigging towards the end without the bit of fluff cause Scott was pulling in more but they quietened down by then so we couldn't tell whether that was it or the fact that Scott was just an arsey bastard. I think the latter. But at least I pulled one up with it on.

Cheers
Kezza

hookinin
27-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Good to see a plan come together and get some nice reds.Did you end up using hussar for bait or something else.
Cheers Gaven

Vindicator
28-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Gday Gaven,
We were using both hussar and mullet fillets.

Cheers
Kezza

nofrills
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Yea good on ya kezza for taking scotty out

Its good to give his missus a break from him if nothin else.Just allways make sure he has taken his ritalin and turn your phone off between 11pm and 5am for two weeks prior and one week after any trip you have with him involved.

cheers scotty

reel scream
02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Yea good on ya kezza for taking scotty out

Its good to give his missus a break from him if nothin else.Just allways make sure he has taken his ritalin and turn your phone off between 11pm and 5am for two weeks prior and one week after any trip you have with him involved.

cheers scotty

Nice to have "mates" like you.:'(

A bit rich coming from a bloke who was ringing around pissed in the early hours of monday morning worried about a Tsunami::) ;D .

Cheers
Scott

nofrills
03-03-2010, 07:06 AM
You got nuthin brady

captain rednut
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
stop it nofrills! scottys sensitive you know??? he will send you photos of flathead being caught while your working just to annoy you if you keep it up!! thats only if hes working on the same day??? ssssshhhhhh dont tell anyone. cr

trymyluck
04-03-2010, 06:37 AM

cheers fnq

I've gotta agree here, if ya gunna post up these sort of reports then gps co ords are are must..........;D...........But I guess if we got them we'd be heading to somewhere off NZ........;D;D Nice work makes it all worthwhile.

Mark

Fishbait
05-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice work fellas - awesome big fish! Congrats on a great day out! Cheers, Darren