PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Safari floor.

Rapson
25-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a Caribbean Safari about a 1980 build.

I am curious about looking at some under floor storage and was wondering if any one out there has ever had a look at a Safari without a floor. The floor is in good nic so I am reluctant to fix something that isnt broken and rip it up to find I shouldnt have!:o

Just a thought at this stage but would be nice to have a esky or bait tanks under the floor out of the way.

deckie
25-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Howdy...mate if i was u and that floor was in good nick i wouldnt even dream of cutting it.
Many boats that era were designed with sealed decks and subfloor flotation so that if holed or suffer a hull crack u are sweet. They are designed to act as a raft but obviously some were better built than others and better flotation. Even when full of water subfloor u may still limp to safer area but worst case u are rafted at least. I actually prefer them as a safety feature even tho today most have subfloor compartmants. Many still dont realise that the underfloor needs a minimum of 3500ltr/hr bilge pumps just to breakeven with the smallest of holes in a trailerboat.

There are many options available for storage of all sorts of things...sure runaboat designs are a little harder to find spare areas but i;d be looking top improvise as much as possible before chopping up the best safety feature u have. Sorry i have never seen subfloor of a caribbean safari so cant help much but if u do end up chopping i;d be making sure its nicely watertight. Nice looking runabouts. Perhaps an inspection plate might be a start if u are curious.
Good luck with it...i'm just a big fan of sealed decks on trailerboats but the next guy might tell u go for it.