PDA

View Full Version : What knot do you use?

Rapson
25-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I am a bit of a beginner to the off shore fishing and after a couple of successful trips outside I am now hooked (no pun intended). ;D

Been busted off a couple of times and I think some of them may be down to my knots.

I am curious to see what knots people are using for line to swivels and to tackle.

WestOzDesertFisher
25-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Uni - quick, easy, strong, versatile in lines from 2-200lb. Learn to love it!

Si
25-02-2010, 01:54 PM
i was first taught the blood knot and thats a great knot but i changed to tying a UNI knot for connection to swivels, hooks for most of my fishing as it is simple to tie, you can tie it blindfolded and in high wind conditions and hardly ever fails. Its a great knot for braid too - just up the number of turns.

If im tying a lure (excluding metal slugs) on they i use a loop knot to keep the lures action.

Noelm
25-02-2010, 01:55 PM
yep, uni knot, easy to tie, strong as all buggery, can be used to join two lines together, make sure you lubricate the line when pulling the knots tight (spit)

Marlin_Mike
25-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Use minimum 5 turns before pulling it tight.

Look Here:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/

Cheers

Mike

Rapson
25-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys. I have used the blood knot for years but will give the Uni a go now.

Cheers.

aussiefool
25-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I use a Finished,clinched blood knot. If pulled up tight will not break or slip. I use it for both braid or mono to hooks or to hard bodies. only knot I use for terminal tackle.
Aussiefool
Andrew

BUCA T
25-02-2010, 03:52 PM
hey rapson, i use a hangmans noose knot for all my mono to terminal tackle knots it is much the same as a uni knot. As long as you take the time to do five or six wraps on either of these knots and lubricate them before tightening they should never let go. I always pay attention to detail when tying knots to make sure they are spot on ,and if any abrasion occurs to my leader line its is replaced immediatley. You dont want to lose the fish of a life time due to a faulty knot or leader.

have fun with it mate hope you slay a few.

buca t

nigelr
25-02-2010, 06:35 PM
yep, clinched blood knot works for me as well in regards terminal tackle.
Allbright for joining dis-similar diameter lines, double uni for same (or close)
diameter lines. Allbright for braid.
Cheers.

patrol50
25-02-2010, 08:19 PM
mate uni knots are good and an albright is very handy but teach yourself a bimini twist and you will never be sorry - its on u tube by reefman
cheers

trueblue
25-02-2010, 08:41 PM
UNI knot. learn this first, and then learn others when the uni doesn't do what you need it to do