PDA

View Full Version : Barra V Xrap

Tropicaltrout
25-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Put em up ya piccies of the fallen xrap how many have been defeated in the attack zone .....

Noted they are a fantastic lure just a bit soft!

Peter4
25-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Here's an Xrap from 2007 after a tussle with a 97cm barra in south B....

Also a straightened VMC 6X treble...

Lure was brand new and had only been used for an hour or so. Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo cheerfully replaced it and it's exact replacement landed a 103 in north B at Mondy last Friday.

Replacement Xrap has now developed a leak and also requires repair/replacement!

Whitto
25-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Very sad Pete.......Let me offer an almost perfect example (needs hardware upgrade);D PS: Sorry Nath you know how much Barra fishing I've been doing of late NADA:'(

NAGG
25-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Put em up ya piccies of the fallen xrap how many have been defeated in the attack zone .....

Noted they are a fantastic lure just a bit soft!

Talk about an understatement Nath ....... SOFT ::) An absolute design fault as there is no strength in the tail section ( thin & 2 piece)

You can accept that these lures were not designed for barra ....... However they are marketing the floating version of the XR12 as designed for Australia:-/

Yep ..... Great fish catcher - just weak as pi$$ :(

Chris

PS ........ I wouldn't mind collecting these photos & sending a letter to Rapala VMCs head office in Finland

Peter4
25-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Very sad Pete.......Let me offer an almost perfect example (needs hardware upgrade);D

Thanks Greg, but I already have that model (upgraded of course!). Altogether I have 7 Xraps and, while they are soft, I will continue to buy them as they do catch barra....

I wouldn't mind collecting these photos & sending a letter to Rapala VMCs head office in Finland

Happy to email mine to you if you are serious Chris....

These lures are clearly not robust enough for Aussie conditions/fish...

NAGG
25-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks Greg, but I already have that model (upgraded of course!). Altogether I have 7 Xraps and, while they are soft, I will continue to buy them as they do catch barra....

Happy to email mine to you if you are serious Chris....

These lures are clearly not robust enough for Aussie conditions/fish...

I mentioned this to a few others recently - the photos would be good & a few examples ....... & I'll do it

Chris

Pete62
25-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Foot note: B*F in Coffs have 15% off all xraps, no idea if all stores have same discount.

Pete.

anthony72
25-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I had the same problem but now just rig them diferently and have had no worries at all.

just rig differently to get the pressure off the rear tow point, that way the hook doesn't pull lure apart, or crack and fill with water, so a slight modification means they last a long time. Have used on big mack, tuna and of course awoonga barra hasn't disappointed yet.

I run stinger wire or 80lb to a small wire that hold hook in place as normal until that breaks away when fish strike, all pressure on where you attach the line.

Peter4
25-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I run stinger wire or 80lb to a small wire that hold hook in place as normal until that breaks away when fish strike, all pressure on where you attach the line.

Hmmm....you have me very curious Anthony. Can you post a pic or diagram of this rigging technique? I just can't picture it from your description...

Pete

Peter4
25-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Foot note: B*F in Coffs have 15% off all xraps, no idea if all stores have same discount

Yep - same deal for all Queensland stores, sale finishes tomorrow 26/02/2010

anthony72
25-02-2010, 09:10 AM
yes Pete, can do but will prob be by next week, flying out for a few days today. I t
Will try to describe now until I post pictures or someone else does:

I haven't had any trouble with front hook point. So tie leader to that and run down along belly of lure, leader to be long enough to so hook hangs as normal. then get some plyable wire ties like low gauage fencing wire to twitch over body of lure or attached twisty tie through rear tow point (all this is to do is hold the leader and break away as soon as you get a strike)this hold leader in placeaway from other hook at back tow point even tie off with the old freezer bad ties, idea is to break away when fish strikes (and hooks swing leader attached to front tow point.)

so I use wire in salt as leader and works a treat no different lure action at all.

Complicated I guess but I haven't lost a rapala by ripping rear point or had to drill out water for 6 months.

Does this help a bit?

Peter4
25-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Gothcha now Anthony....I will give it a try.

Many thanks

Pete

LostNearBribie
25-02-2010, 10:00 AM
You shouldn't have to do that with a quality lure.
I think that is the point.
I have a few of the smaller XR6 versions and the jacks love them.
But nothing big enough to cause the damage shown in the pics.
I have used the magnums trolling and they stand up alright to some decent Tuna.
Is it just this size (around 120mm) that is an issue?

Whitto
25-02-2010, 11:30 AM
You shouldn't have to do that with a quality lure.
I think that is the point.
I have a few of the smaller XR6 versions and the jacks love them.
But nothing big enough to cause the damage shown in the pics.
I have used the magnums trolling and they stand up alright to some decent Tuna.
Is it just this size (around 120mm) that is an issue?

Very much to do with the enormous jaw pressure applied by a very interested Barra.

Obi _ Wan
25-02-2010, 11:54 AM
My son has had a couple of the Husky Jerk lures destroyed by Mangrove Jack.

One had the back third smashed off, the other had the rear treble and wire pulled up through the body.

He got both fish but the lures were totally stuffed.

John.

TinarooTriumph
26-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Good luck with the email Chris! Would attach as many photo's as I could to the email to let them see the full extent of the damage that has been happening to those lures. Also going into detail about your full rigging practices will no doubt be beneficial for YOUR cause, as well as possible re-construction idea's that could rectify what your having trouble with - otherwise to them, they'll just see you as just 'one' person out of several million who buys their products & has brought a few lures that have been made at 4:59pm on a Friday afternoon.

Chances are you'll just be seen as a Bony Bream in Monduran! But, as a consumer, feedback is valued... just make sure you nail it!

Suprised you havn't sent a few off in the past to Squidgy? Surely giving feedback on tens of millions of badly designed & made soft plastics that are frequently used on Barra is a better arrow to shoot then trying to knock on the doors of VMC/Rapala?

NAGG
26-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Good luck with the email Chris! Would attach as many photo's as I could to the email to let them see the full extent of the damage that has been happening to those lures. Also going into detail about your full rigging practices will no doubt be beneficial for YOUR cause, as well as possible re-construction idea's that could rectify what your having trouble with - otherwise to them, they'll just see you as just 'one' person out of several million who buys their products & has brought a few lures that have been made at 4:59pm on a Friday afternoon.

Chances are you'll just be seen as a Bony Bream in Monduran! But, as a consumer, feedback is valued... just make sure you nail it!

Suprised you havn't sent a few off in the past to Squidgy? Surely giving feedback on tens of millions of badly designed & made soft plastics that are frequently used on Barra is a better arrow to shoot then trying to knock on the doors of VMC/Rapala?

Maybe Theo ...... the difference being that 1 X Rap sells for $24 & may only last 1 fish -
Besides , I dont have too many issues with squidgies ..... which at worst a few quick modifications turn a very cheap $1-2 placcy into an effective barra catching lure. :)

Chris

Chris

Tropicaltrout
27-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Hey Chrisso I will get a piccy of mine and drop a email mate..... they are a great lure for hits and catching but as stated one fish and there done.... Yep ya may get lucky with the way ya hook up but hook a trebble low and the other high and they are stuffed... Mine ripped on a 66 cm barra straightened both sets of trebbles (lure out of the packet) now any lure on the market in Australia for 24 bucks a pop should be able to whitstand that...

NAGG
27-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey Chrisso I will get a piccy of mine and drop a email mate..... they are a great lure for hits and catching but as stated one fish and there done.... Yep ya may get lucky with the way ya hook up but hook a trebble low and the other high and they are stuffed... Mine ripped on a 66 cm barra straightened both sets of trebbles (lure out of the packet) now any lure on the market in Australia for 24 bucks a pop should be able to whitstand that...

Thanks Nath

The more , the better ....... I'd also like to get a few lures together to send as well - unfortunately I've only got a couple that I didn't turf.

I'd like to think that I would get a response out of them ..... because its their name & reputation - - - - - Plus with the www - things can get viral.

Chris

TinarooTriumph
27-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe Theo ...... the difference being that 1 X Rap sells for $24 & may only last 1 fish -
Besides , I dont have too many issues with squidgies ..... which at worst a few quick modifications turn a very cheap $1-2 placcy into an effective barra catching lure. :)

Chris

Chris

Well old mate, let us know how you go with your email. You sound like you know what your doing...

Won't knock your Slick Rigs too much longer Chris. The 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish know how crap they are anyway. Besides, if your wearing a Berkley shirt & catching fish with them, then the must be good hey!

PaulMark
27-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Things a bit quiet on SW Theo???.Thought you guys were steering clear of this site?Being lower down the food chain.
Paulo.

NAGG
27-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Well old mate, let us know how you go with your email. You sound like you know what your doing...

Won't knock your Slick Rigs too much longer Chris. The 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish know how crap they are anyway. Besides, if your wearing a Berkley shirt & catching fish with them, then the must be good hey!

Doesn't matter what shirt or cap I'm wearing Theo ......... I have no financial allegiances and use whatever I feel works the best .
What makes you think that the 10%ers all think they are crap :-/ 4 out of 5 ABT barra events (2009) were won using slick rigs ...... & I dont think I would be off the mark if I said more barra were caught on slick rigs than any other lure during the entire ABT barra tour .......... but I'm sure you know that :) ...... just maybe more than 10% catch 90% of the fish;)

Chris

PaulMark
27-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Drop Bears probably accounted for most of those caught to.As you say Chris,get them out of their packet,boil them,store them carefully and they are an affordable Barra catching tool.Your using a wide brush Theo saying that they're crap when they catch a lot of Barra.
Paulo

birko
27-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Theo
As much as you align yourself with the Aussie battler, you really epitomise the worst of Aussie culture by your deferral to the tall poppy syndrome. I have no doubt you are an excellent angler that knows his local system inside out. However you would endear more credibility by offering an alternative to the things you arbour, as opposed to attacking those more successful than you currently are.
Says he who has not caught a barra in his last 3 trips.
Birko

NAGG
27-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Drop Bears probably accounted for most of those caught to.As you say Chris,get them out of their packet,boil them,store them carefully and they are an affordable Barra catching tool.Your using a wide brush Theo saying that they're crap when they catch a lot of Barra.
Paulo

Paul .... There is a bit of a movement that is taking aim at certain parts of the Australian tackle industry - If they dont like someone because of their profile or associations then they are a target - The same goes for industry direction , advertising etc ...... particularly in the barra scene.
As it goes ... the humble slick rig is associated with with a target.

Chris

PaulMark
27-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep,Gotcha Chris.
10% of the Anglers want 100% of the say. Hmmm,I don't think so! They should concentrate on their day jobs I reckon.
Paulo

NAGG
27-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Yep,Gotcha Chris.
10% of the Anglers want 100% of the say. Hmmm,I don't think so! They should concentrate on their day jobs I reckon.
Paulo

0.01% is probably closer to the mark
No doubt they believe that they are acting in the best interest of the fishing public.... & maybe they are - but just like the attack on frogging & the personality associated with the mainstreaming of the technique ..... attacking slick rigs is just ::)

Chris

Whitto
28-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Theo
As much as you align yourself with the Aussie battler, you really epitomise the worst of Aussie culture by your deferral to the tall poppy syndrome. I have no doubt you are an excellent angler that knows his local system inside out. However you would endear more credibility by offering an alternative to the things you arbour, as opposed to attacking those more successful than you currently are.
Birko
Excellent words Birko......I will encourage the Barra God to shine upon you on your next Barra trip.::)

Tropicaltrout
28-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Gee whiz Theo we all wear Foxie shirts and we still catch fish too:P :P ;D ;D

Dick Pasfield
28-02-2010, 11:07 AM
By way of background I’ve not used the Xrap, or the more recently mentioned squidgy. Got to say I only saw the Xrap in Perth and the price scared me away, particularly when other cheaper lures do a pretty good job. As for the squidgy, when I came across them the available hooks were nowhere near study enough so for no other reason were bypassed in favour of hard bodies.
Now based on the negatives associated with both brands I’d be a bit cautious in buying either if for no other reason apart from using the devil you know rather than one you don’t. That’s not to say that every brand of lure I buy is bulletproof. Some like the Tilson have body failures that look similar to that of the Xrap, they certainly buckle under the pressure of a big fish and their hooks are well under done. The plastics I use may swim better than a squidgy out of the packet but some need deperately require hook transplants and others are so expensive it makes me wonder at times about the value when one fish shreds the thing.
The bottom line here is the feedback, as mentioned in earlier posts. It completes the communications loop from developer to producer to distributor to retailer to consumer and back. If a product is touted to be suitable for a particular task by anyone of those links before it gets to the consumer by means of ad, article, editorial or word of mouth and fails to deliver in some way it should be fed back up the line so there’s a chance of something being done about it. Be it a $2 or $200 product.
Regardless of what we all do to get around product deficiencies feeding back what we do and what the failures are is the only way they’ll be addressed. Keeping quiet and boiling or replacing hooks won’t benefit the majority of users who get caught unawares.
In the case of the lure I use constantly, yes I do practice what I preach, be it back to the retailer or through to the producer, constructive feedback is always appreciated (or should be)

PS if anyone decides to send a heap of lure to demonstrate a point, be aware that some personal within the companies think the best way to deal with the issue is to send back free replacements as a means to oil the squeaky gate. Make sure your intent is clear.

TinarooTriumph
28-02-2010, 12:37 PM
more successful than you currently are.
Birko

So because an angler has the number #9 infront of his name, this makes him more successfull then I? Is this what you are trying to imply Birko?

If I was to be more successfull, would I have to compete in Tournaments and beat his scores - is that how it works Birko?

As for aussie culture... have never seen much of that in my visits to Mackay, though it seems to exist everywhere else I look. Perhaps you'd might to like to review your words on me when we meet one day - how does that sound? ;)

Cheers

NAGG
28-02-2010, 12:55 PM
So because an angler has the number #9 infront of his name, this makes him more successfull then I? Is this what you are trying to imply Birko?

If I was to be more successfull, would I have to compete in Tournaments and beat his scores - is that how it works Birko?

As for aussie culture... have never seen much of that in my visits to Mackay, though it seems to exist everywhere else I look. Perhaps you'd might to like to review your words on me when we meet one day - how does that sound? ;)

Cheers

What about 3 of the top 4 in the rankings .......
Anyhow - its a senseless argument ....... slick rigs work & continue to work, try telling the next person that lands a barra on one that they dont::)

Chris

Tropicaltrout
28-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Yup I used one for a hour once dont know yet if they work or not I even founf it on the camp kitchen table cant be any good:P :P 56440

Whitto
28-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Yup I used one for a hour once dont know yet if they work or not I even founf it on the camp kitchen table cant be any good:P :P 56440

What an absolute stroke of Luck Nath, found a Slick rig lolling about on the Camp Kitchen, in a moment of apparent stupidity you attached it and a silly Barra was fooled into thinking it was a snack.......Nahhhhh that can't be right it had to have been a Fluke, apparently their crap.

NAGG
28-02-2010, 04:38 PM

That looks like a nice / well set up slick rig - the owner must have been devastated to loose it :'(

chris

BR65
28-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Cheers

Sounds like a childish rant to me. Add that to your previous post full of half hidden snide references, and I find my opinion of you going down hill rather rapidly.
Grow up Theo, the crap you are going on with in this instance is just that - crap, and Im over it!

BR65
28-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Sorry Nath

Pete62
28-02-2010, 07:11 PM
One wonders who is lurking. Twitch, twitch, pause...............................

Pete.

NAGG
28-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a childish rant to me. Add that to your previous post full of half hidden snide references, and I find my opinion of you going down hill rather rapidly.
Grow up Theo, the crap you are going on with in this instance is just that - crap, and Im over it!

Brian - dont worry about it ....... when someone (s) become so narrow minded about a product .... then so be it - If they choose to ignore the most successful barra lure on the market - that is their loss.
Hey .... even I carry a few vipers ( well own a few ;))

Chris

NAGG
28-02-2010, 07:24 PM
One wonders who is lurking. Twitch, twitch, pause...............................

Pete.

:speechless::curtain: ....... here ? ....... surely not!

better off throwing a slick rig on a slow roll ;D

chris

BR65
28-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, sorry, I "paused" my-self for a while to make sure I wasnt "reaction biting", so, moving on.

Ive got 3 busted SXR-12 Rapalas hanging in the shed at the mo, 2 with the rear body split, and one with a broken bib off a dropped metery not last trip, but one before.
I'll snap a pic tomorrow and email over.
Problem is, with Halco 4XX fish rings and VMC 6X #2 trebles, they hang absolutely perfectly in the water, best Ive seen to date. Good action, cast like a bullet, easy on the wrist on a twitch pause retreive, good range of colors from fluro (worked well in the dirty water lately) to natural olive I'll be pinging when it gets a bit cooler/cleaner..

Pete62
28-02-2010, 07:42 PM
So if u do send off the dead xies isn't it probable the Rapala will just come back and say. " Sorry boy's u r modifying these lures with upgraded splits n hooks they are designed for hook or ring failure b4 having there guts dragged out through their assh*les"

Or something to that effect;D

Duh........... Pete.

Tropicaltrout
28-02-2010, 07:50 PM
That looks like a nice / well set up slick rig - the owner must have been devastated to loose it :'(

Yeah the poor owner if he only new:-*

chris

Sorry Nath

What for ;)

Pete.

Who cares:-X

What an absolute stroke of Luck Nath, found a Slick rig lolling about on the Camp Kitchen, in a moment of apparent stupidity you attached it and a silly Barra was fooled into thinking it was a snack.......Nahhhhh that can't be right it had to have been a Fluke, apparently their crap.

Again poor owner must have had a berkley shirt on:P :P ;D

So if u do send off the dead xies isn't it probable the Rapala will just come back and say. " Sorry boy's u r modifying these lures with upgraded splits n hooks they are designed for hook or ring failure b4 having there guts dragged out through their assh*les"

Duh........... Pete.

Yup I here ya Poit I got not modded up and it's wrecked but I reckon the same never the less:)

BR65
28-02-2010, 07:53 PM
A built in safety feature Poit, treble failure rather than structual failure - I like it!
They could use it as an advertising feature:

"Our lures will never break because our terminal tackle will let go first on a big fish" lol.

Doesnt even have to be a big fish, didnt Nath strip out the bum on one on a mid 50 fish?
Your right, I can see their response now - youve moded the lure so warranty void!
No rear tow point failures to date with the Richos for me. They just require a little more work to get the suspend thing happening.

Pete62
28-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike the pike came in with a smile on his face to, and they are only designed to catch, well, pike............

BR65
28-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Ahhh, Mike The Pike, now theres a presentation - potential AFC top secret barra slayer right there! I looked at his bro this morn actually, see you had a bit of weight stuck on him.

NAGG
28-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Duh........... Pete.

Yes I thought of that Poit ..... but then it means that the local version (floater) is not fit for purpose

Chris

Steve B
28-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I got a couple wrecked, but being the tite a s s that I am, I have glued them back up....still swim well...caught fish again, broke again, fixed again. When they are totally unfixable or solid loctite you can have em;D

Got some jointed xraps too....much tougher but somehow fill up with water under the outer skin:-/...I might do some bore hole surgery!

Cheers Steve

Whitto
28-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I wonder if anyone has thought about running a bead of Loctite along the join before it splits as a reinforcement layer......a sort of insurance tactic.......just might work, can't see it doing any harm balance/action wise.

NAGG
28-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I wonder if anyone has thought about running a bead of Loctite along the join before it splits as a reinforcement layer......a sort of insurance tactic.......just might work, can't see it doing any harm balance/action wise.

nah whitto - the split starts from the inside

Ya probably need to inject some resin into the tail or something (make the tail solid) - though it will probably stuff up the balance:(

Chris

Pete62
01-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Ahhh, Mike The Pike, now theres a presentation - potential AFC top secret barra slayer right there! I looked at his bro this morn actually, see you had a bit of weight stuck on him.

Yep. little sticky weight makes em neutral, around the front trebles makes em hang nose down.

Pete.

birko
01-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Theo

I wasn’t referring to a person/angler or tournament results, I was referring to your bias against the squidgy product that has been and continues to be very successful.

Seems that this squidgy product gets bashed mainly due to the fact it was heavily marketed and has made a few people and one company a few bucks. Good on them. They were successful in what they did, I don’t believe that they hurt anyone in the process, hence I don’t see why they should be knocked based on their success.

All that said that the bloke sitting at number 9 to which you thought I was referring has achieved great results in a two tour period wouldn’t you agree?

Anyway, I’m sorry to hear that your Mackay experiences have been disappointing. Give a hoy next time your down and maybe we can both change a couple of perceptions. Will PM you my mobile number.

Apologies to all for the off topic post

Cheers
Birko

warrior
02-03-2010, 12:10 PM
have any of you men used the xr14 s i have just got one and they do look a lot stronger than the 12 s, looking thru the light with them they have only a small wire crimp holding the back hook but on some of the destroyed lure pics it looks like they have wire running thru them have they changed the design

Tropicaltrout
05-03-2010, 06:02 AM
have any of you men used the xr14 s i have just got one and they do look a lot stronger than the 12 s, looking thru the light with them they have only a small wire crimp holding the back hook but on some of the destroyed lure pics it looks like they have wire running thru them have they changed the design

Yeah Al mate they do seem to have the wire through them the fish either hits the lure and the pressure and weight pulls the inner wire tort and on turns etc the lure rips or with the pecentage hook up of mouth hook up's the jaw pressure simply is to much for the lures constrution and the back trebble ends up half way down the body..... either way they are a bit soft for the aussie barra

nickstock
05-03-2010, 07:40 AM
the Richos for me. They just require a little more work to get the suspend thing happening.

Hi BR65,

My all time fav Barra hardbodies for wild Barra are the Leads Hi-Jacker and the Richos Little Terror.

The problem is that the new Hi-Jackers and the new Richo Sardines are pulling hooks quickers than one can blink.

I have a real soft spot for hand made timber lures and it is very dissapointing to see both of these models fall to bits on 35 cm Jack and Rat Barra. Never had a drama with them in the past however out of our latest batch, about 1 out of 4 are getting destroyed on their first fish with the rear tow point, wire and hooks coming of the Richo's and the front treble and wire pulling through on the Leads.

I have had great success on big wild Barra and Trevally to 12 kilos on the SXR10's. Has any one had any dramas with the 10's?

Nick

BR65
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Gday Nick, sorry to hear about the Richos for you mate. I pulled a 120 neat on one a month or so ago and no dramas with it.
Ive got some of the SXR10's but am still mucking around with split and treble up-grades so they dont sink. They look like a barra jelly bean to me!

NAGG
06-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Hi BR65,

My all time fav Barra hardbodies for wild Barra are the Leads Hi-Jacker and the Richos Little Terror.

The problem is that the new Hi-Jackers and the new Richo Sardines are pulling hooks quickers than one can blink.

I have a real soft spot for hand made timber lures and it is very dissapointing to see both of these models fall to bits on 35 cm Jack and Rat Barra. Never had a drama with them in the past however out of our latest batch, about 1 out of 4 are getting destroyed on their first fish with the rear tow point, wire and hooks coming of the Richo's and the front treble and wire pulling through on the Leads.

I have had great success on big wild Barra and Trevally to 12 kilos on the SXR10's. Has any one had any dramas with the 10's?

Nick

Only throw the 10s at Teemburra where you encounter smaller barra ..... For me the 12s are just perfect to cast & work - & the barra love em :P

Chris