PDA

View Full Version : Trailer repairs??

finding_time
24-02-2010, 05:46 PM
A mate of mines boat trailer need a bit of TLC it's got a bit of cancer in a few of the cross members so it will probably need a strip down, replacement sections welded in and re-gal ! Can anyone recomend a business to do this ? The trailer is a Dunbier and off a 7m boat.

Ian

sandman55
24-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I guess you could go to a metal fabricator (engineering) and then get it grit blasted and then dimeted (a rust preventitive paint).
If it is that bad then it might be more economical to get a new trailer.

trymyluck
24-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Are the sections rhs or channel? If it is rhs then you may not know just how bad the rust is.
Mark

Angla
24-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I had to recondition my trailer a while ago and found these repairs to be very good to date. The trailer is not showing any signs of wear at the moment.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=146536&highlight=Trailer

Cheers
Chris

Sandman
25-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Ian i did mine got spares from Dunbier and a friend who was a mental fabricator .

Sandman
25-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Ian i did mine got spares from Dunbier and a friend who was a mental fabricator . looks good

whiteman
25-02-2010, 10:31 AM
When I got my trailer repaired recently the guy who did it replaced the rails and cross members with much thicker steel than the original. He says that the stuff they use on most trailers is not much thicker than tin foil so they can bend it easily. I had a lot of work done and the price was very cheap. The cross members are now sealed. Only used spray-on cold gal but if the rust comes back over the next few years I'll get it repaired again - much cheaper than going the whole hog of sandblasting and hot dipping. This is my original post .. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=160344

Fish_gutz
25-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I was given a business card awhile ago and a good wrap about this Bloke up at Beerburrum "All about Trailers" his name is Ron and he`s at 400-404 steve irwin way. 0412389136.
Andrew

finding_time
25-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys i'll send a link for this thread to my mate!

ian

Rowdy_2002
26-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Gday.
I am in need of some major repairs to a trailer and wonder if anyone knows of a repairer not too far away from Jacobs Well. The trailer needs new running gear, mudguards and possible a cross member.

Thanks

Daisy Burnett
26-02-2010, 10:14 PM
When doing up an old trailer that is showing some cancer please take care how much you spend on an old trailer for where there is rust that you can see there will be lots you cant see ready to break out when you least expect it.

Cheers
Daisy

whiteman
28-02-2010, 12:48 PM
When doing up an old trailer that is showing some cancer please take care how much you spend on an old trailer for where there is rust that you can see there will be lots you cant see ready to break out when you least expect it.

Cheers
Daisy
That's why you take it to a pro who kn ows what to look for.