PDA

View Full Version : bizarre problem with GME GPS

Noelm
23-02-2010, 12:13 PM
My son has a new GME GPS in his tinny, the unit works fine UNTILL you get close to the position, then it goes crazy, tells you to steer left, right, position is 4NM away, position is 1NM away in a different direction, if you move some distance away (in any direction) and start again, all isgood until you get close to the mark again, the problem will reproduce every time, get close to the mark and thats it, now I am quite confident with the operation of the unit, can read the manuals and work out what they mean OK, but this seems to be such a strange problem, the unit is under warranty (of course) but has anyone ever seen or heard of this (besides the Bermuda Triangle that is) before I pack the thing up and send it away?

bigjimg
24-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Make sure the datum is correct WGS84, time format set to +10.00hr ,turn off WAAS,set gps to 2D if available and set unit height above water.What else to do but get a new one,sounds like a brain malfunction.Also if the unit has a PASSIVE ANTENNA function turn this off if not using an external antenna.Jim

Noelm
25-02-2010, 08:05 AM
datum OK, time OK, unit is set low, (in a tiller steer tinny) but antenna is high, cant remember about WAAS, but it sure seems like a brain snap huh! I have used GPS of various brands for a very long time, probably even before they were such common commoditities, but this one seems to be stuffed, why when it gets close to waypoint is anyones gues, GME are at a loss to offer a logical explantion also.

finga
25-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I had the same problems with a home brand (sounded like JRC but wasn't JRC if I remember) GPS I got from down the Gold Coast. I got it off ebay.
In the end they tried to reprogramme it blah, blah, blah....and in the very end I got my money back.
Pain in the date eh :(

Noelm
25-02-2010, 09:48 AM
it sure is, you can get close to your mark, by using, highway, compass or track, and it is fine, but when you get close, it's good night, it goes haywire, might just box it up and send it back, I guess with cheap units like these they just send a new one, kind of doubt anyone would fix them. I wonder if our old firend Satnav is out there anywhere and can offer a logical explanation.

Lucky_Phill
25-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Does it have an " arrival " function / alarm. ? Forget the exact terminology.

This needs to be set at 100mtrs or less. IMO.

Good luck............

Phill

Noelm
25-02-2010, 02:32 PM
yep, it does, tried it on and off and several different distances, as I said the unit operates perfectly untill you get to about 200M from position, then it goes beserk, you can still find the place by going straight ahead after it plays up, but it would be nice to have a new GPS that works as it should (well I reckon anyway)

Lucky_Phill
25-02-2010, 02:42 PM
pack it up, send it back and get a garmin.

IMO.

simple........

cheers Phill