PDA

View Full Version : What do you put on outboard bolts??

Dean1
22-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi a mate of mine is repowering his sharkcat and im going to be giving him a hand to bolt the motors onto aluminiun pods. They are 2 stroke 90 yammies so not too heavy ;) What is it that is put behind the bolt, is it sikaflex?? Always had my motors fitted up profesionally so im unsure..

Thanks if somebody can help.

Deano..

Dan5
22-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Can't go wrong with Sika i wouldn't think.......that stuff would be keeping thousands of boats afloat.

Dan

Steeler
22-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Spend the extra few bucks and get the wurth sealant

Steve.

White Pointer
22-02-2010, 09:23 PM
G'day,

You have to make a seal as well as avoid the issues of incompatible materials. TEFGEL is the material that AMM use on their boats and they also sell it. It's not cheap.

Google TEFGEL. You can buy it on-line. It works.

Regards,

White Pointer

bigjimg
22-02-2010, 09:29 PM
10mm backing in "boat board"or similar between pod and motor,duralac the bolts and sika 290 between washers inside pod.Jim

Noelm
23-02-2010, 10:37 AM
hhmm Sharkcat, pods, 90HP I'm thinking he has an 18' with pods! pretty rare boat if that's the case. OH and I have used all sorts of stuff to seal the bolts on alloy pods and never had a drama, bit different with a glass transom, where water intrusion is your enemy.

Dean1
23-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah Noelm its Grunters old 560 Sharky. Thats why I insisted he buy it!!

Its been repainted, Sid Fishes is doing his stainless magic on it and some 2000 90hp yammies are going on. Four strokes were on the shopping list but will have to wait.

It used to have timber between the motor and pods, my KC doesnt have any and they are both aluminium pods????????

Should be ok to bolt straight onto the pod. I might have to buzz Glen on this one ;)

She will do well up at 1770 the maiden vouyage may as well be there!!

Noelm
24-02-2010, 07:02 AM
My Cat has aluminium pods and the motors are bolted straight on, no backing plate, been that way from new, I reckon the 90's will be good on that boat, nice and light, I looked at it before Grunter bought it, I am still on the lookout for an old 18' centre console Sharkcat to rebuild and use, missed out on a couple, so I will keep trying, I am trying to get to 1770 myself this year, seems like it might be good fun.

lippa
24-02-2010, 05:55 PM
What do you put on outboard bolts??

Deano..

NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I WASN'T HELPFUL WAS I?

Dean1
24-02-2010, 06:23 PM
NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I WASN'T HELPFUL WAS I?
Ah Yeah that'd be an idea nuts!! I finally have my answer!! ::)

Dean1
24-02-2010, 08:38 PM
My Cat has aluminium pods and the motors are bolted straight on, no backing plate, been that way from new, I reckon the 90's will be good on that boat, nice and light, I looked at it before Grunter bought it, I am still on the lookout for an old 18' centre console Sharkcat to rebuild and use, missed out on a couple, so I will keep trying, I am trying to get to 1770 myself this year, seems like it might be good fun. Yeah Noelm I nearly bought it about 10 yrs ago myself. It was the 1st 18ft sharky id been in and it blew me away what it did in terrible conditions off Kawana. It seemed sluggish tho, I think the props were stuffed coz it felt alot better when my mate bought it. If I didnt have my KC i would have bought it recently.

Cheers..

Noelm
25-02-2010, 07:19 AM
funnily enough, I was going to come up and make an offer when Grunter had it for sale, with the idea of making a center console out of it, reckon it would be a great boat in CC form and pods, would make for a very roomy 18 footer I reckon.

Dean1
28-02-2010, 09:19 AM
funnily enough, I was going to come up and make an offer when Grunter had it for sale, with the idea of making a center console out of it, reckon it would be a great boat in CC form and pods, would make for a very roomy 18 footer I reckon.You blokes and your'e CC's I dont know how you's do it!! I need that cab at night when its raining and blowing wide offshore, call me a sook! And then theres sun protection. Horses for courses i guess ;D

Noelm
01-03-2010, 07:59 AM
rain coat for the rain, jumper for the cold and slip slop slap for the sun, OH, and us NSWers are mega tough and a few discomforts are nothing!