PDA

View Full Version : general seafood shop complaint

adamleah
22-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Dropped into local seafood shop this arvo to pick up some fillets for a feed tonight to find that 95% of the stock was imported from Indonesia....... :'( ....... I never knew Indonesia had native waters full of "Wild Barramundi", Sand whiting, coral trout, snapper...... ?????? ended up getting some local flathead and some near local "NZ" deep sea cod... but disappointed on lack of local fish,,,,,

At same shop about 3 weeks ago I bought about a kilo of herring for bait and when I got home from fishing and searched the bottom of the bag I found some strange beings that certainly weren't herring and look suspiciously like juvenile jew and threadies that are less then 125mm long... Pic attached.....
Do you reckon you would get charged by fisheries if caught with such??

marty+jojo
22-02-2010, 07:30 PM
The fish at the top is a putty nose perch not a threadfin (missing the whiskers), not sure about the two in the middle.
Marty.

adamleah
22-02-2010, 08:10 PM
close up of other fish

Daryl McPhee
22-02-2010, 08:35 PM
The top one is a puttynose perch as marty+jojo identified.

The other two are "little jewfish" or "perch. They grow to a maximum size of about 30cm but most are around 20cm. The scientific name is Johnius borneensis although it use to be called Johnius vogleri. You can check out some more info on them here:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=15263&genusname=Johnius&speciesname=borneensis

They are very common in a number of fish studies I have doem around the place.

Cheers,

Daryl

Lucky_Phill
23-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Disappointing.

This scandalous business practice is encouraged by an un-educated , fish buying public.

fisher28
24-02-2010, 09:24 AM
we call those jewlike fish river perch,the threadie looking one is indeed a puttynose perch and we know that herring as a blue back herring.none of which have size or bag limits as far as i know.

FNQCairns
24-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Dropped into local seafood shop this arvo to pick up some fillets for a feed tonight to find that 95% of the stock was imported from Indonesia....... :'( ....... I never knew Indonesia had native waters full of "Wild Barramundi", Sand whiting, coral trout, snapper...... ?????? ended up getting some local flathead and some near local "NZ" deep sea cod... but disappointed on lack of local fish,,,,,

At same shop about 3 weeks ago I bought about a kilo of herring for bait and when I got home from fishing and searched the bottom of the bag I found some strange beings that certainly weren't herring and look suspiciously like juvenile jew and threadies that are less then 125mm long... Pic attached.....
Do you reckon you would get charged by fisheries if caught with such??

yeah indonesia is full of our fish as is many other countrys even if by another common name, not sure on the snapper though that ones strange, what type of snapper...could have been farmed her in oz??

cheers fnq

ozbee
24-02-2010, 10:53 AM
north hemisphere has snapper as well major fish catch

TimiBoy
24-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe our local Snapper is a different species from those caught O/S. Cap'n Cook named them when they caught one. If that's not true, it's a cute anecdote!

Cheers,

Tim

charleville
24-02-2010, 11:47 AM
This article might be of interest as well. http://www.theage.com.au/national/fresh-and-local-why-things-can-get-fishy-eating-by-the-sea-20100101-llu8.html

About the only thing that Victorians get that is local product when they visit a seaside fish'n'chip shop is gummy shark. ;D

This is one paragraph from that article that amused me ...

"Another concern is the precise meaning of the word "fresh". The industry has coined the term "fresh frozen," which means the fish was fresh when it was frozen. But "fresh frozen" is often shortened to "fresh" by eateries and fish and chip shops."

;D ;D ;D