PDA

View Full Version : Fuel use & tank size advice please

Franco
22-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

Just in the process of rebuilding my 490 Haines breeze. Outboard will be a 90hp 4 stroke suzuki - format is centre console + seat esky with standard 1300 casting deck and electric motor up front. Carrying 3 batteries plus 2-3 anglers and gear.

Use will be as bay, estuary and light offshore/inshore. Mostly out of GC, Moreton bay, Hervey bay and northern tropical reefs.

What fuel usage should I expect from this set-up?

I was planning a 120L tank (as a compromise between excess weight and range as most of my trips are going to be local daytrips only)

Feedback from members who have a similar set-up / first-hand experience would be appreciated

deckie
22-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a nice rig in the making. Not sure but dont they come with a underfloor tank about 90-100ltrs ? I guess u already know how crucial weight distribution will be if rearranging with 3 blokes, 3 batteries, lotsa fuel, gear, esky, livey tank etc...i'm guessing if you;re coming off a 2 stroke to the 90 4st u may be pleasantly surprised how much less fuel u use...u sure the existing tank isnt already enough ? Maybe u plan to move it i dunno.
Is there anyway u can wait and test the exisitng tank capacity on the new 4stk donk...and adapt it to a slightly larger one after the rebuild IF needed ? You can always carry a reserve for awhile till the new tank is done. Anywhere u can simply put a reserve 22l tank or jerry ?
She's gonna be heavy but nothing a 90 cant push well.
Good luck with the rebuild, sorry i cant be specific with fuel figures but i just think u may still get good range from a 4stk that size and a 90-100l tank i imagine u already have under the floor. I;d be looking for the simple solution...leave whats there and maybe carry a small reserve. If not enough it can still be done last if planned for.

Any idea of your mileage on an average day ?

Franco
24-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Deckie - previous tank was 80L but as the fuel filler was at the rear it wouldn't fill properly sitting on the trailer bow-high. Coming from a 90 HP E tec but expect economy to improve further as taking much weight out ot the boat (no ply used in re-fit)

From info gathered so and helpful replies on another forum it seems like it'll be around 2-3km/L economy overall and a 120-140 L tank will be the go. Only one reply on this site - any other suggestions / pitfalls to watch out for guys?

finding_time
24-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Franco

i had a ub 520 longboat with an 80 hp yami 4 stroke it used about 10-11 l perhr at a cruise of around 4000 rpm for 22 knots now your boat has got a larger motor and wont be quite as fuel efficant as the ub so i would buget for 15l per hr at 4200 rpm for speed of 24 knots ( maybe , i'm guessing alot ) so this should give you an idea but 100l should be fine.

ian

ps when you get it up and running let me know how close i was.

Franco
24-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Ironically Ian when you convert those figures that comes to approx 3km /L!
Reckon you might be spot on mate - will let you know.... although it might be some months yet before she's on the water as we're working on it between work days.

Thanks for your reply