PDA

View Full Version : Formula Boats

troy
21-02-2010, 07:28 PM
At present i am without a boat as i had to sell my last boat to fund a tractor for fixing up my bank at my beach place.
I am looking at the formula f15cc which is from the same mould as the original 445f haines.
The problem i am having is i cannot find anyone who sells these boats.
Any idea what these boats are like compared to when haines hunter built them.
Also any ideas on what a boat motor and trailer would cost.
I have searched the net all weekend and cannot find much info on them or the builder.
Thanks
Troy
ps i am from nth qld and are a long way from where they are produced in victoria

screaming reels
21-02-2010, 08:03 PM
G'day Troy, mate go to trailerboat.com.au then search boat test you will find two test on there, mate i belive bushy(fishing guru on tv) has one and does all types of fishing in his, creeks to the open ocean hope this helps cheers brent

Waraba Mick
21-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Troy, their web site lists mystic marine mackay as a queensland dealer.

Mick.

upstart
21-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey Troy. I am pretty sure that Peter Homewood from Ayr has/had one. He might be able to help you out.

Vromme
22-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I dont know anything about these boats but could be worth a look.

http://www.x-boats.com.au/index.htm

I think they may be in Qld but not sure.

Cheers

Roger

julian1
22-02-2010, 02:08 PM
very well built and finished boats, built like brick out houses !!!

Jarrah Jack
22-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Check your PM's.Very well built ..........

sooty_mad
22-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Troy

I would definitely check out the X Boats. These are the old 445F remade using the latest infused technology. I personally know the guy building them (Todd) and his workmanship is of the highest order. He worked for Haines and Riviera in the past.

I recently went and had a look at his latest boat and I have attached a photo of it for your information.

Having just converted an old 445R into a centre console fly fishing platform I can certainly vouch for the quality of this hull.

Kind regards... David

FNQCairns
22-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but that Variable deadrise hull is no Formula, the ride would be like chalk and cheese, other advantages though.

cheers fnq

GBC
22-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Check the coota craft website - they also do a version - "Little Ram"

troy
22-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but that Variable deadrise hull is no Formula, the ride would be like chalk and cheese, other advantages though.

cheers fnq
FNQ could you go into more detail here and what do you mean by your post.
You say that the hull is no formula and the ride would be like you stated above.
Which boat are you comparing here as i thought the formula was a flop of the the haines 445f.
So these x boats in your opinion are not in the same league.
Also what is the difference with TJ bears boat is it not a flop of the 445f haines .
Either way if TJ bear can contact me i am very interested.
With the xboats i do not know what they are like or how they are to deal with.
S##T i just confused myself.
Troy

catcrab
22-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Troy, TJbear is x-boats, and they are the old 445's built with modern technology, he is based in labrador, gold coast. as sooty mad has stated a very good boat.
thanks Drew.

Haji-Baba
22-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Troy,

I know you are after a hull similar to the old 445c Haines and you can't get a much better hull for that size.

I have one in excellent condition with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha on the back.

One thing, if I was to change anything I think it could use 10 more Hp.

I have owned a couple of Haines Hunters and the 445 hull is a very good boat.

I recently saw a "DALE" Hull in Home Hill and was very impressed.

I was informed that the "DALE" boats were a close copy of the Haines.

As you stated, you are from Nth. Qld. and I would strongly suggest you have a look at those boats If you can.

The are made in Home Hill.

Most of the locals swear by them and they look very impressive on the water.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

troy
23-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Troy,

I know you are after a hull similar to the old 445c Haines and you can't get a much better hull for that size.

I have one in excellent condition with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha on the back.

One thing, if I was to change anything I think it could use 10 more Hp.

I have owned a couple of Haines Hunters and the 445 hull is a very good boat.

I recently saw a "DALE" Hull in Home Hill and was very impressed.

I was informed that the "DALE" boats were a close copy of the Haines.

As you stated, you are from Nth. Qld. and I would strongly suggest you have a look at those boats If you can.

The are made in Home Hill.

Most of the locals swear by them and they look very impressive on the water.

Have Fun Haji-Baba
Haji-Baba he has just sold out and the new owner is not building the boats as they have lost the person who used to do the building of these boats.
Troy

FNQCairns
23-02-2010, 09:16 AM
FNQ could you go into more detail here and what do you mean by your post.
You say that the hull is no formula and the ride would be like you stated above.
Which boat are you comparing here as i thought the formula was a flop of the the haines 445f.
So these x boats in your opinion are not in the same league.
Also what is the difference with TJ bears boat is it not a flop of the 445f haines .
Either way if TJ bear can contact me i am very interested.
With the xboats i do not know what they are like or how they are to deal with.
S##T i just confused myself.
Troy

The hull I am thinking of we used to call a 15 foot formula or baby formula, it had because of the era of design a fully traditional style of hull, no VD. That link above doesn't show that hull in any decent way although the gunnel form has shoulders and narrows toward the back which brings to mind a conventional hull although a pic of the glassing inside looks like it's a VD hull??

So if that hull in the link is actually a VD hull it will only ever perform on the water to it's length, the formula and all good traditional hulls punch higher than their length in comparison.

cheers fnq

sooty_mad
23-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I believe that the secret to the Haines 445 hull is the width and the strong reverse chine. At 2.06 metres wide for a 4.45m boat this is quite remarkable.

Also the wide reverse chine makes it very stable at rest as a fishing platform and helps in keeping it dry when travelling.

If you want to contact Todd at X Boats you can do so on:

Todd Jordan: 0402 806 782 Email: todd@x-boats.com.au (todd@x-boats.com.au)

Kind regards... David

FNQCairns
23-02-2010, 09:51 AM
To anyone that knows is the 445 a VD hull?? Troy wanted info on Formula hulls and substituting a VD designed hulls is no comparison nor an option, just makes a mess if one is to respect the posters original question or is tray actually asking about a non formula hull?

I lost track of a lot of the different brands nomenclature once they started using marketing to name new hulls instead of lineage and true lengths etc.

The baby formula's hull form almost stands alone and i would be interested to hear of any newer hulls that actually are formula hulls not another totally different design somehow hanging from the formulas shirt tails in the minds of owners.

cheers fnq

Haji-Baba
23-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Troy,

Sorry to hear that.

I never did get a ride in one but from what I saw and know, I think they would
have been a good sea boat and dry as well.

Be back up that way again soon with the tinny, looking for a few fish and crabs.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

sooty_mad
23-02-2010, 10:56 AM
For a description of deadrise etc follow the link below:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/powerboating/deadrise-hull-angle.html

As you can see by the photos of the transom of my 445, based on the above information, the 445 is not variable deadrise. Note that the specs for a 445 give a deadrise of 20 degrees.

Kind regards... David

FNQCairns
23-02-2010, 11:17 AM
For a description of deadrise etc follow the link below:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/powerboating/deadrise-hull-angle.html

As you can see by the photos of the transom of my 445, based on the above information, the 445 is not variable deadrise. Note that the specs for a 445 give a deadrise of 20 degrees.

Kind regards... David

Ok cheers for that so 445 does hold the traditional hull form so now the question...is the 445 the true formula hull of times past or is it simply marketed as one?

In you pic that hull looks too wide to be a formula, could be wrong though.

Although if the one in the pic is what is considered a formula hull today this may well be all that troy is looking for, marketing has no boundary.

cheers fnq

sooty_mad
23-02-2010, 11:23 AM
FNQ

I see where you are coming from with regard to a variable deadrise hull on the Formual 15. As you can see by the picture below (taken from their web site) they have altered the original 445 hull by flattening out the last metre or so of the bottom of the hull. This creates a flat V section at the planing end of the hull.

I noticed this on a few boats when I was in the USA as (I was told over there) the flat section helps greatly with the planing ability of the hull.

Definitely not a variable deadrise in the true sense of the word but not the traditional deadrise of the Haines 445.

As a point of interest the Formula web site has the following to say about their Formula 15 ... "It boasts an ageless 20 degree deep V hull" and also the specs are exactly the same as the original 445 at 4.45 metres long, 2.06 wide and 20 degrees deadrise. Fairly obvious where it's ancestry comes from.

Kind regards... David

troy
23-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I sent a couple of e.mails off to the xboats yet to have a reply .
They must be busy or is it not a full time concern yet and maybe not working today.
Troy

FNQCairns
23-02-2010, 11:43 AM
FNQ

I see where you are coming from with regard to a variable deadrise hull on the Formual 15. As you can see by the picture below (taken from their web site) they have altered the original 445 hull by flattening out the last metre or so of the bottom of the hull. This creates a flat V section at the planing end of the hull.

I noticed this on a few boats when I was in the USA as (I was told over there) the flat section helps greatly with the planing ability of the hull.

Definitely not a variable deadrise in the true sense of the word but not the traditional deadrise of the Haines 445.

As a point of interest the Formula web site has the following to say about their Formula 15 ... "It boasts an ageless 20 degree deep V hull" and also the specs are exactly the same as the original 445 at 4.45 metres long, 2.06 wide and 20 degrees deadrise. Fairly obvious where it's ancestry comes from.

Kind regards... David

Thats it! thanks, the 445 is then not a true formula hull (from my recollection) just another like so many others that have a progressive dead rise.

I could be mistaken but the hull in that airborn pics greatly different to the hull of a baby formula and I have seen a few old 15s in my time...not that it really matters but it is a shame if I am correct, who cares if another 15% more hp is needed or it's not quite as stable at rest or it turns less like a jet ski...the old formula hulls like other older hulls travel so well compared to what is offered as a good ride these days.

cheers fnq

troy
23-02-2010, 12:27 PM
FNQ

Kind regards... David
David so does this alteration alter this boats ride compared to the original haines 445f.
The original 445f i have been in plenty of times and for its size takes some beating.
Troy

pilchardjones
23-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Gday Troy,
I am thinking of selling my rebuilt 445.
PM me if interested
25k - its in townsville.

steve

sooty_mad
23-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Troy

You are right, the 445 hull takes a lot of beating. Does this modification make it any better? I really don't know. Logic to me says that the modified hull may plain better but being flat at the back it may be a bit bumpier in chop. I guess it's just swings and roundabouts.

I would think you would need to run the two boats side by side in a similar set up (same motor etc) in a lot of different conditions before you could safely say one was better than the other.

Perhaps I come from the school that says ..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Kind regards... David

top_deck69
23-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Troy,

Not sure if you interested in other boats, But check out GaleForce. They are built and sold just south of Brisbane (owner/seller)

Fully customisable I would say is the best thing. If you send them an email they usually send through their price list and some pictures of the different options.

http://www.galeforceboats.com.au/ (http://www.galeforceboats.com.au/)

Just another option.

With Formula boats I found that if they didn't have a local dealer that you could buy direct from Melbourne just email them, they were really good with costings etc. were a little pricy I found.

The other boat I considered was the 5m Lewis typhoon (old southern star stealth shape). I liked this one as you can bolt a 150hp to the tail..... probably the least customisable I found though didn't delve to deep into this option.

I was looking for this size boat about 4 months ago. I ended up getting a second hand Galeforce 4.8m I find it to be a great boat.

Cheers
Ben

troy
23-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Been in touch with TJ Bear and was good to deal with.
Troy

GBC
23-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe 24 degrees deadrise is the magic number you're looking for Troy...

krazyfisher
23-02-2010, 07:38 PM
which one has a 24 deg hull??

GBC
24-02-2010, 06:02 AM
http://cootacraft.com/58433_29802.asp

krazyfisher
24-02-2010, 06:28 AM
GBC

got my vote! even a demo for sale