PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance HDS-5X - Leaking!

scottishguy
21-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I put my boat in yesterday and tried to turn on the sounder as usual and...nothing, it was dead.

I took it of the gimbal to have a closer look and heard the unmistakable sound of water sloshing around! These units are supposed to be waterproof.

The only time that this unit has been exposed to water is when getting some light sea spray or rain that comes in through the space between the dash and the bimini. It's never taken a dunk and it's only 7 months old. Not good.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this unit?

sagair
21-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Mate, My sympathy, that really sucks, at least you should have warranty.
Hope they do the right thing by you. Regards

dreemon
21-02-2010, 01:12 PM
CAN you get the water to come out to see where it got in?
that is strange if it's never been drowned, most claim around 1/2 hr at a metre deep and should survive, my garmin should come back from the shop this week, diff probs good luck with it,

Pretzil
21-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, sounds odd, but my experience with lowrance is that you shouldnt have too much of an issue with warranty. Let us know how u go

Moonlighter
22-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Heard about another one today that had the same issue - apparently some prob's with first batch but sorted now.

Get straight onto them and they will replace it. Dont delay!

BR65
22-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Typical Lowrance, they are water sponges.

scottishguy
22-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Called them today and got a return authority. They reckon it will take 14 business days to replace which is not too bad.

sagair
22-02-2010, 10:11 PM
That's good news. Lowrance seems intent on doing the right thing, that is reassuring to know.