PDA

View Full Version : cruisecraft/mayfair trailer lights help.

Bandit1
20-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi all,

wondering if anyone else out there with this trailer type is having issue with the led lights not working?

boat and trailer over 1.5 years old since about month 3 of ownership i noticed some leds not working thinking ahh sheel be right only a few little globes gone or something, people can still see the lights. Then it progressed to just a few leds working in each light, nowi havent been out for about 5-6 months and had the boat elsewhere whilst doing work in the backyard i have now bought the boat home and have no lights at all.

Its a 625 on a mayfair/cruisecraft trailer with a tekonsha brake kit in car for the carlisle trailer brakes.

Have tested with multi and test light at trailer plug on car and have 12v and testlight lights up.

So i cut 1 light(combined brake& indicator) off at back of trailer and and can only get up to 8v max for indicator and 4v for brake light, neither wire at the back is enough for the 12v testlight to light up at all, whilst havig the led light unit removedi went under the bonnet & put the wire for indicator on + of the car battery and ground wire on a grounding bolt under the bonnet and cant get any lights to light up straight from the battery.

Any recommendations? or am i just going to have to bite the bullet and rewire and relight the whole bloody trailer?

Cheers
Bandit

Angla
20-02-2010, 08:57 PM
It sounds like you have done all the right tests and also have the answer worked out.

Just do a better job than they originally did and it should last the rest of the trailer life.

I just redid mine and ran 1 lead from the plug to a position up the winch post where there is a sealed junction box for the wiring to be spit and joined in. From there all the wiring is separate to each light set with exception to the number plate light which is split in at the tail light and super sealed in heat shrink and then resin heat shrink.

The joints are soldered and taped very well so that if there were a problem with a light, testing would start in this junction box. The junction box is silicon sealed all round and just a small section in the bottom is left open to let out any moisture

Cheers
Chris

fez
20-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Bandit,

As above you have answered your own question.

Get some led's with 9m of cable, don't bother with the ones with only 40cm of cable as the join will be under water. With the 9m of cable you can roll the excess cable inside the tubing and join in the plug, don't forget the side clearence lights.

Autobarn and the like have the Navara's and other reputable brands, their not cheap but you won't have any issues with them.

fez

Getout
21-02-2010, 06:48 AM
I had to chuck mine out, after a couple of years. The wiring was fine, the actual lights were fine (still waterproof), but he supposedly-waterproof connection in the back of the light was not waterproof. Subsequently, the terminals had vaporised and there was no way to rectify. I spliced some new LEDs in and everything is hunky dory............
Now about those brakes!

Mad-One
21-02-2010, 07:01 AM
If you buy Narva or Trojan led's they come with about 9 metres of wire per light so no joins that go in the water. The narva ones have built in nomberplate light

Cheers Phil

frankgrimes
21-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Just fitted some Trojans to my trailer - they also come with number plate light.

Got them from Repco, no issues with them so far.

http://www.trojanparts.com.au/index.asp?PageID=2145844210

Installings pretty easy...2 can job unless your thirsty! ;)

Mick

Mad-One
21-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Should have come seen me at Repco Burliegh Mick could have given you a good price. Just ask for ponytail Phil. Thats what they call me, then tell me you're on Ausfish and I'll look after ya or any other member for that matter

Cheers Phil

frankgrimes
21-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Should have come seen me at Repco Burliegh Mick could have given you a good price. Just ask for ponytail Phil. Thats what they call me, then tell me you're on Ausfish and I'll look after ya or any other member for that matter

Cheers Phil

Cheers mate - def. head there next time!

Tiderock
21-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hiya Bandit

I have the same outfit as you, mine is now three years old, and experienced the same problem about the same age as yours is now. I bit the bullet and replaced my lights with Trojan lights. No worries since.

The brakes however are an entirely differerent story......

Rob

Bandit1
21-02-2010, 02:25 PM
hi all, have done the replacement with trojan lights and they work now except one problem i think is in car related perhaps, is when i apply the brake with tail lights on the red dissapear entirely instead of getting brighter they just go off. getting prety frustrated here time for a beer i think.

Cheers to all

frankgrimes
21-02-2010, 03:42 PM
hi all, have done the replacement with trojan lights and they work now except one problem i think is in car related perhaps, is when i apply the brake with tail lights on the red dissapear entirely instead of getting brighter they just go off. getting prety frustrated here time for a beer i think.

Cheers to all

Checked voltage with multi for brakes? I've had this happen, and it was fuse for trailer brake lights.

Bandit1
21-02-2010, 05:02 PM
problem solved by adding a grounding position on the trailer so now it gets ground from through the plug (grounding underneath car going through plug) and in the same ground wire on the trailer i installed a ground to the trailer aswell and all sweet as now.

Cheers for the help everyone.

frankgrimes
21-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Good to hear she's all sorted mate.

Angla
21-02-2010, 05:33 PM
The trailer should not be used as a ground. That will only cause you ongoing problems at all the grounding positions because the wiring is exposed where it is terminated to the frame of the trailer.

Do you have the earth (frame) connected at the light end too?

Cheers
Chris

Bandit1
21-02-2010, 07:14 PM
sorry mate what do you mean earth frame at light end? there was no grounding done at all on the trailer anywhere only place earth was coming from was underneath the back of the landcruiser. sort of up into the chassis near where all the trailer plug wires are.

I put the earth under the platform that the brake controller kit sits on i do have some circuit board waterproofing protective spray here thanks for giving the heads up i will coat contact point with it, this stuff turns into like a hard lacquer.

cheers