PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean crusader pod or not!!

johnog
20-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I want to repower a 1985 Caribbean Crusader cruiser, currently with original 230 hp Mercruiser sterndrive. I intend to moor the boat for most of the year, with the odd trailer trip to other locations. I have found the cockpit area to be a bit small, and am looking at ways to solve this.

First option is to repower by installing a fibreglass pod, with say a 225 hp Optimax/E-Tec. Does anyone have any experience with this type of outfit in a Crusader?? I've heard it makes the boat a bit bouncy at rest /troll, given the 21 degree deadrise.

The second option is to repower with a similar sterndrive (260 MPI), however given my concerns with the cockpit, I am leaing towards the pod, pending any feedback.

The last option, is to replace the whole boat(!!!!) and maybe buy a 23 ft Bertram open with a sterndrive, given the extra cockpit room that is in this model. There are differences between the Crusader and Bertram hulls - does anyone have the specifications for either or both of these models and/or explain the major differences between the hulls?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Johnog :-/

'ave a go
21-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I've got a crusader and considering a re=power right now. Have read that a pod is not that successful. Take the low down motor out & replace with a high one at the end of a see-saw would knock the balance & stability out of any boat. These banana hulls need heaps of power to really dance. I've seen one with 400hp. I'm going for 330/350. The difference between caribbean & bertram is the caribbean has a finer entry. The bertram bow is fuller to allow for the flybridge. The berty hull will bang more in chop.
John

ozscott
21-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I have seen them podded down at Horizon shores, but they just dont look right to me int he water. A mate has a Carribean Reef Runner which is 2 foot shorter and same hull and it rides and sits well with an inboard, but I reckon with his an outboard would wreck it.

Cheers

krazyfisher
21-02-2010, 07:26 PM
if I weres to put an outboard on I would put an engine well in the transom rather than a pod as they did come that way...... but I would stick with the inboard.
dont forget when you remove the engine box you get more room in the boat but you now have an engine hanging off the transom to work around.